PDA

View Full Version : Deer's sour stomach

IMN23D
September 24th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Had an old timer tell me that a deer's stomach goes thru a transformation in early October (here in Michigan) from being a grazer (grasses and other greens) to a browser (acorns and other browse). He said that during (about 2 weeks) that time they have a "sour" stomach, and don't eat as much as they normally do. Anyone else ever heard this? Maybe I'm hunting too early in October.

RHINO
September 24th, 2002, 03:50 PM
I've never heard of that before, but I can tell you that I have seen deer grazing on the tall grasses along the highways in northern Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan untill the snow flies on a regular basis (sometimes late November/early December). I have also shot deer during gun season (mid Nov.), that had their bellies full of green grasses. Although if I can find a spot where acorns are plentiful in late Oct./early Nov., that's where I'll be hanging my stand :D .

Good shooting!
Rhino :)

spitfire
September 26th, 2002, 07:10 PM
The only thing i know about a deers sour stomach is when its been gut shot or you have an accident with your knife during the dressing process. Tell ya something else. thats enough to give you a sour stomach!

4 Runner
October 9th, 2002, 03:29 PM
I hunt on a white oak timber Ridge overlooking a green field See deer in the field early morning in the field And eating Acorn's on the ridge on thier way to a bedding area . Does'nt seem to effect
them to me.