PDA

View Full Version : PRI-MARY! Get Your Red Hot Primary Information Here! PRI-MARY!

Silver Pine
March 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
With two major parties, plus any independent party that can manage to put together it's own primary election, and over 50 State/Commonwealth/Territory, the U.S. has over 100 different ways to select political convention delegates. :eek2:

Maybe the info on the site listed below may help someone understand how their State selects delegates. (I'd really like to know if you think the info is correct.)

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/events.phtml?s=a

There is also a "Primary/Caucus/Convention Glossary"

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/Definitions.html

Illinois's Primary is tomorrow. Illinois is considered a "Loophole Primary" which is a Delegate Selection Primary combined with an Advisory "beauty contest" presidential preference vote. The popular vote in the Illinois Republican Primary will have nothing whatsoever to do with the presidential preference of the 54 separately elected National Convention delegates.

Each candidate for delegate ... must file a Statement of Presidential Preference supporting a specific presidential candidate, or a statement that he/she intends to run uncommitted. (HOWEVER: There is no law or rule officially binding the delegates to the candidate.)

Santorum's team has already handicapped his campaign by not picking a full slate of possible candidates.

Besides having less popular support than Romney among Republican voters, Santorum handicapped himself early on in Illinois. Santorum appointed just 44 of 54 delegates in the state. Each of the other three candidates has a full slate of 54 delegates.

http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/illinois-67516-romney-santorum.html

Illinois is also an "Open Primary" State. Any voter can vote in any Primary. Dems in the GOP, GOP'ers in the Dem, independents in any Primary they chose.

Since the DNC has already made it's choice, I wonder how many progressive Chicago Democrats will cross over to help the GOP decide who would have the "best/worst" chance against the O'bama in November?

:cocktail:

Silver Pine
March 19th, 2012, 09:39 PM
:bump:

jkcerda
March 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
:bump:

:kiss:

MoBo Act 4:12
March 19th, 2012, 10:30 PM
With two major parties, plus any independent party that can manage to put together it's own primary election, and over 50 State/Commonwealth/Territory, the U.S. has over 100 different ways to select political convention delegates. :eek2:

Maybe the info on the site listed below may help someone understand how their State selects delegates. (I'd really like to know if you think the info is correct.)

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/events.phtml?s=a

There is also a "Primary/Caucus/Convention Glossary"

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/Definitions.html

Illinois's Primary is tomorrow. Illinois is considered a "Loophole Primary" which is a Delegate Selection Primary combined with an Advisory "beauty contest" presidential preference vote. The popular vote in the Illinois Republican Primary will have nothing whatsoever to do with the presidential preference of the 54 separately elected National Convention delegates.

Each candidate for delegate ... must file a Statement of Presidential Preference supporting a specific presidential candidate, or a statement that he/she intends to run uncommitted. (HOWEVER: There is no law or rule officially binding the delegates to the candidate.)

Santorum's team has already handicapped his campaign by not picking a full slate of possible candidates.

Besides having less popular support than Romney among Republican voters, Santorum handicapped himself early on in Illinois. Santorum appointed just 44 of 54 delegates in the state. Each of the other three candidates has a full slate of 54 delegates.

http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/illinois-67516-romney-santorum.html

Illinois is also an "Open Primary" State. Any voter can vote in any Primary. Dems in the GOP, GOP'ers in the Dem, independents in any Primary they chose.

Since the DNC has already made it's choice, I wonder how many progressive Chicago Democrats will cross over to help the GOP decide who would have the "best/worst" chance against the O'bama in November?

Glad you posted this for the valuable info. And yes, the way i read the link for Missouri's district and state delegate nominating is how it was explained to us in our meetings we held prior to the caucus here. I believe we'll be having a get-together and discuss the proceedings very soon and strategizing and all that. I find it interesting that in your state Dem's can participate in the GOP and vice-versa. That can open a whole can of wiggly worms.

Silver Pine
March 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Glad you posted this for the valuable info. And yes, the way i read the link for Missouri's district and state delegate nominating is how it was explained to us in our meetings we held prior to the caucus here. I believe we'll be having a get-together and discuss the proceedings very soon and strategizing and all that. I find it interesting that in your state Dem's can participate in the GOP and vice-versa. That can open a whole can of wiggly worms.

I believe most States permit/allow some kind of crossover voting. Something about State laws/constitution not allowing the State to fund "public" elections for a "private" organization so they must be open to all eligble voters. At least Illinois still has party registration for Primaries.

Springfield recently shot down an attempt to have truely open primaries. No registration required. Anyone could vote for any candidate. What would be the point of even having a Democrat or Republican or 3rd party slate to pick that parties candidates? Not that our current system prevents massive crossover voting like was experienced in Michigan. Romney took the rural area's while Santorum took the Democrat stongholds but I'm sure that was just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Silver Pine
March 20th, 2012, 01:31 PM
:kiss:

As long as I have your attention, I've used the free "coffeecup" software to create moving gif/avatars before and posted one or two on AT but this time it ain't working. "Mr. Cotton and parrot" now has a coffeecup in the upper left hand corner from the software but the parrot's head is supposed to look left for 4 seconds, right for 1 second, then repeat. It's works on my PC but doesn't work when I upload it to AT.

Any ideas?