PDA

View Full Version : Basic trad bow tuning for beginners

ericwhyne
March 21st, 2012, 08:40 PM
Recent talk about tuning on the forum re: beginners inspired me to throw together this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc_5m2urr2w&feature=g-all-pls&context=G22cbffcFAAAAAAAAAAA

187 BOWHUNTER
March 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Some good info there for the noobs like me, thanks

sharpbroadhead
March 21st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Good video and information - I do however, disagree with you on one thing - The nock locator should be set intentionally high until you have your nock left/right issues solved. The reason is that a nock that is too low - even slightly low can cause the arrow to fly nock right/left and even nock high - which are false readings. If you set your nock intentionally high and then solve the right/left issues - you can then start moving the nock locator down in small increments till you find the sweet spot. If you try to set the nock locator first and it is slightly low - you are going to end up beating your head against a wall. The nock height should be done last not first.

also push/pull unstringing of a recurve can result in the loss of an eye - a string should always be used

other than that - good video and great information - thanks for taking the time to help fellow archers - we need more of this

ericwhyne
March 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the support. Please pass it on to people that can use it.

The nock high thing makes sense. Thinking back I can remember having what you describe happen. There is other stuff I forgot to include while I was in front of the camera. Maybe ill do a follow up if things keep going well with this one.

Eric

sharpbroadhead
March 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
TTT - this guy put some time into this video - lets not get it buried before many people get to see it

sharpbroadhead
March 22nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
ttt

Bowmania
March 22nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Ken, From www.bowmaker.net "We want to take care of any up/down problems first... Ignore left and right problems at this time." I can't see any reason not to take care of the nocking point first - it's the easiest. All you have to do is start HIGH like you suggest. Also what you should have mentioned and didn't is that a NP set too low will have the rear end of the arrow hit the shelf and making it kick up and look nock high.

If you correct the nock first, you don't have to beat your head against the wall.

Bowmania

sharpbroadhead
March 22nd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Bowmania - I gave the reason - take your bow and move you nock point slight lower and then shoot a bareshaft - it can kick nock high - and/or nock left or right - when in reality - the issue is that the nock is too low.

I first learned this from Black Widow and then from personal experience - if you start with a nock that is slightly low - you can get false readings that it is high or that the arrow is too stiff - that is the primary reason you don't want to do that first.

Start with the nock intentionally high and then don't worry about the nock high flight until your left/right issues is solved - once you get the arrow flying perfectly left/right - it is very easy to get rid of the nock high - it just has to be done in small increments.

centershot
March 22nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Nice job - maybe a second cut would help clean it up a bit. But pretty darn good for a first run. I agree with Sharp on the nock set and especially about the stringer. Much safer for you and the bow.

Bowmania
March 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Ken, Sorry, but somehow I knew that you would take any criticism well. False readings are results. Rear end of the arrow hitting the shelf is a reason. Pretty sure most publication say take care of the nock first. Let's not hijack this thread. You can PM me anytime.

Bowmania

sharpbroadhead
March 22nd, 2012, 06:07 PM
I don't know what publications say or don't say - but I know what personal experience has taught me and what I learned from Ken Beck at Black Widow Bows - who also says to do it as i have. And you are right - the nock end of the arrow kicking off the shelf when the nock is too low is what would give a false nock high reading - and many times a false nock right or left reading - and is preciseliy why you want to do the nock locator last and start with the nock set intentionally high. Anyone can do it anyway that they want - I am just trying to save new guys a lot of headaches when it comes to tuning - if you start with your nock slightly low - you can get all sorts of false reading so it is better to start with the nock intentionally high - get the nock right/left solved - when you know you are not getting false readings due to a nock that is too low - and then worry about getting rid of the nock high. This is how Black Widow instructs people to tune and I have also personally found this to work exceptionally well - if you think there is a better way that is fine - do it that way.

Brianlocal3
March 22nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Outstanding video, thank you very much I had just asked sharp to do such a video. What is weird is I just won some old Ben Pearson wood arrows from the auction site that were 45-49lb spine with broad heads and they fly perfectly from my 40lb herters. All I had to do was drop my nock 1/16 inch. Sometimes I'm confused but happy with the results.

rembrandt
March 22nd, 2012, 10:10 PM
Recent talk about tuning on the forum re: beginners inspired me to throw together this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc_5m2urr2w&feature=g-all-pls&context=G22cbffcFAAAAAAAAAAA

Appreciate the video.....guy knows his stuff and it helps when its right in front of you......