Archery Talk Forum banner

Anybody else hunt Nebraska this morning?

1K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Claydoh 
#1 ·
I did all i called in was a coyote but i was looking out the wrong side of the blind. I was set up with my decoy 10 yards out to the west well i got down there this morning and i had turkeys to the east of me so i was calling out the back door the whole time and all the sudden 2 coyotes came around my blind at 20 yards but there were trees in the way. I had a guy watching my hunt the whole time and he said that one of the coyotes came right up to my decoy but i didnt notice it. I hope somebody else had better luck than i did.

#2 ·
Been scouting them for a couple weeks and finally was ready for them. They didn't follow their usual pattern though. They flew down but then went the opposite direction that they usually go (which was away from me). Saw a coyote to bout 250 yards away. I will go see where they are roosting tonight and might get one tomarrow morning. If I don't get one in the next 5 days I probably won't get one til mid april when they split up

#5 ·
Got one bout 11:00 this morning. Saw some up in the CRP so I decided to go on a spot and staulk. Shot him at 27 yards and he went about 30 from there. First Eastern Turkey and biggest turkey with a bow.

22lbs
8.25" beard
.75" spurs on both sides

scored 53.5points :RockOn: :banana:

Attachments

#11 ·
We heard a bunch but nothing came into range. We also called in a coyote and a bobcat. The coyote ran soon after I spotted him. We drove around a bit and saw toms scattered on private land. Going out again in the morning. Hope I get luckier. Congrats to those who got it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
The birds still seemed to be "March" birds despite the May like weather we've been seeing. I put a group of 30 to roost Saturday night and the gobbling Sunday a.m. was sporadic. They flew down the opposite way and didn't make much noise. About noon I found another flock on another farm and there was at least 8 males in a group of 32 and they refused to respond to anything. On another spot I only saw 3 birds but saw 3 coyotes when scouting Saturday. I know it was day 1 but from all accounts the coyotes are on the return and it seems as if the birds are on the decline a tad? It's a long season but it didn't start as good as I had hoped. Long story short the birds are henned up and it seems there are less birds. Even some of the famous spots I can't hunt but drive past and historically see flocks of 100 had nothing on them this weekend (but the farm had beans instead of corn last year).

#14 ·
i should have went, buti decided to clean up the garge from all my winter projects.:sad: i will get out sometime this week though i did get a little practice in though.

#18 ·
i want to belive what mez is saying but up here (SE wisconsin) its been really warm and the birds were going crazy. i went out scouting last thursday and watched a flock of 46, 10 toms all strutting and gobbleing. the dominate tom mated 2 hens while i watched.
im 2 weeks out from my 1st of 3 seasons so i hope this was just a premature incident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.