PDA

View Full Version : Tricks of the Trade

J.Shoot
April 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Does anyone have any special rigs or tricks that work for them? I'm just starting and I'm open for all suggestions.

Thanks,
J.Shoot :)

p8ntballnryan
April 22nd, 2005, 07:36 PM
yeah...lol a muzzy arrow and some water! :D

nightfire
April 23rd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Warhead points, retriever reel, 200lb test braided line, an airboat, and a desire to get down and dirty. This helped my brothers team win the Great Lakes Bowfishing Championship 2 years in a row.

NocEm
April 24th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Bowfishing is a very user specific sport that you can get into for as cheap or as expensive as you choose to. My advice is to try as many different rigs and equipment as you can and figure out what is best for you.

I use Onieda bows , muzzy arrows, Shakspeare Synergy reels, Sullys reel seats and epoxy rests. the KISS principle is vital in this sport because you want to spend your time shooting aside from fixing broken equipment.

You ask 10 bowfishers what they use and you'll get 10 different answers.

IMADMAN
April 24th, 2005, 03:28 AM
If you shoot from an elevated position, you will probably have to aim about a foot below the fish. Try sticking an arrow in the water it will look like it's bending upward. I have gone bowfishing in years, but I use ditch school on Wed. and my friend and I would scour the cliff sides for Uhu (Parrot fish) very delisious steamed!!! I never had any luck with the store bought set-ups. I use to use the big spool w/ dacron and a fiberglass arrow with 2 holes drilled in it one in the front after the point and one near the nock. I would attach a line through both w/ a ring running inside the line. Just had to make sure that the ring was near the point end before taking a shot.

Michigander
April 24th, 2005, 10:16 AM
We use older compounds for a little more punch in deeper water and the simple Saunders open shoot -thru type reels. Inexpensive and very fast,but don't let the string dry tightly on their reel as they will crack from the pressure of the string shrinking when drying. (200 lb test) My partner actually has a jig to build them from steel now so we don't have this problem.
Warhead points are our favorite also and simple flipper rests since they don't snag the string............no need for being perfectly tuned when shooting at fish.
Be careful not to use too much poundage since the fiberglass arrows cannot take the abuse.
As said before, everyone has their own different and favorite equipment. You'll have to see what works best for you.
Jerry

p8ntballnryan
April 24th, 2005, 03:31 PM
my biggest bit of advice....

shoot one first...that's the hardest part about bowfishing...hitting your first one..after that it is just so easy...i've made some pretty outstanding shots on fish in the past few years...but also know your equipment and what it's capable of..dont rush your shots on a fish that's far out there unless you know you can connect and stick it...most bowfishing weights are only good to about 10 yards. i've shot fish 25 yards or a little farther from the top of cliffs and rock ledges on lake texoma down into the water.

DO NOT TIE TO THE BACK OF THE ARROW NO MATTER WHAT! i know everyone will do it eventually..but if i wasn't shooting 50 lb line i dont think it would have broke and i'd have shot myself...teh line wrapped up on the riser. wet your lines before shooting..take a couple of shot at half draw and progress father out til all the line is laid and wet in your reels...a hot shot after your stuff has been sitting around can be bad news...line shrinks in on itself as it dries and its just keeping it safe AND working incase you get a shot on a fish of a lifetime!

just like bass fishing...learn your fish! you can expect to walk around the bank and fish just be there...learn their habits, patterns, signs, and spots that will hold fish at least some point in the year as you go along...wind and weather, etc. will effect these fish...and if you want practice or bored when nothing is out?! try shooting trash at the bottom of the lake...you getpractice and you clean up the place.

bowfishing puts the heaviest toll on any bow i've ever seen..so make sure your bowstrings and bow is in check with no cracks or problems...throwing them in the back of the truck or in the bottom of a boat over and over will cost ya eventually! :D :shade:

soaker2000
April 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM
just like stump shooting on land get out and set up underwater targets to get
some practice on

Sawmiller
April 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
A good rule of thumb for refraction is: For every foot away from you and every foot deep in the water aim one inch low.
Sawmiller

Snood Slapper
May 1st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Absolutely one of the best safety innovations for bowfishing, hands down, is the AMS Safety slide system. They're cheap and easy to install. No reason not to put them on IMHO. Get some if you haven't already.

hitech
May 1st, 2005, 10:35 PM
If you buy the AMS video "REEL BOWFISHING" you will get some great tips on how to tie things up correctly plus some great bowfishing action. Good video!

I BOWFISH-THERFORE I AM