PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot an alligator?

Sawmiller
April 25th, 2005, 07:30 PM
I'm preparing to remove an alligator from a pond.My plan is to shoot it behind the shoulder with my carp bow with a jug attached to the line so that we don't lose him.Then finish him off with my hunting bow or a rifle.Any advise from somebody who has actually got one before would be appreciated.The alligator is only 5 feet long but I don't want to mess this up.
Sawmiller

Bowboy
April 25th, 2005, 07:36 PM
i always see them shoot them in the neck but ive never actually done it

p8ntballnryan
April 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM
back of the neck at the base of the skull..contact mark land..he'll get you set up

PussBoy
April 25th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I'm preparing to remove an alligator from a pond.My plan is to shoot it behind the shoulder with my carp bow with a jug attached to the line so that we don't lose him.Then finish him off with my hunting bow or a rifle.Any advise from somebody who has actually got one before would be appreciated.The alligator is only 5 feet long but I don't want to mess this up.
Sawmiller

Are you doing this in Ohio?

re@fletch
April 25th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Good catch puss! If it is in Ohio it should be fair game it would fall under the exotic laws no rules! but after the winter we had and he is still alive you better do the Dukes of Hazzard to him, the big fire kraker on the arrow trick. :beer:

Carpn
April 26th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Shoot him with a jugged arrow with 400# FF. Mybe put 2 arrows in the insure you don't lose him. When he tires fininsh him with a broadhead at the base of the skull where the spin joins..Tape his mouth even if he appears dead...
Let me knwo if this is taking place in SW ohio...I'd love to witness this...

Sawmiller
April 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
It is in S.E. Ohio,Athens area.It appears that this thing somehow survived the winter.We saw it last week while we were hunting turkeys.We're going to make another trip back with a jon boat and my carp bow,and a video camera.The guy that owns the pond wants it out,he's trying to sell lots and condos around it.
Sounds like I need to shoot him in the neck.Maybe two lines in him sounds like a good idea also.I'll let you know how it goes.
Sawmiller

p8ntballnryan
April 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM
PICS! and go out at night with a spot light and a push pole if you can! get up really close...

ffighter90
April 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM
If you dont want the meat freeze it and I will pay for shipping!!!!!!!
If you haven't eaten gator its great!!! In Fl. we can only hunt them for a short time and its a lottery for the permits, although its seems the same rich guys in my area always win the permits??????????

Sawmiller
April 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Oh yeah, We plan to have a big gator fry.I heard the tail is good.Do they have backstraps?
Sawmiller

PUG
April 28th, 2005, 03:29 PM
You may want to contact your local DNR office....I know in some places there are laws regarding the natural migration of animals...not sure if this is the case, but......better to be safe than sorry....

Other than that...make sure you take lots of picture when you drag the beast from the drink.....and post em up!!

PUG

ffighter90
April 28th, 2005, 04:39 PM
The best meat is the tail and jowls some also eat the ribs. I don't find them worth the effort. make sure you tenderize it and I like a nice beer batter :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: and a little hot sauce

PussBoy
April 28th, 2005, 04:45 PM
That's a good combination! How big is this thing?

It is in S.E. Ohio,Athens area.It appears that this thing somehow survived the winter.We saw it last week while we were hunting turkeys.We're going to make another trip back with a jon boat and my carp bow,and a video camera.The guy that owns the pond wants it out,he's trying to sell lots and condos around it.
Sounds like I need to shoot him in the neck.Maybe two lines in him sounds like a good idea also.I'll let you know how it goes.
Sawmiller

Sawmiller
April 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM
The alligator is five feet long.Not big enough by Florida standards I'm sure, but he'll do for Ohio.As far as legality goes , I would think that being in a private pond we should be alright.
FFighter90,Whats a jowl?You're making me hungry.
Sawmiller

soaker2000
April 28th, 2005, 10:25 PM
ohio i just dont believe it

p8ntballnryan
April 29th, 2005, 08:26 AM
you've never had hog jowls before in beans?!

the cheek meat lol..

Bowhuntingteen
May 1st, 2005, 12:15 AM
what i wanna know is how the heck it got to Ohio, it would have to have been transported from down south, or something. Or would it?

PussBoy
May 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Sawmiller?

Haven't heard anymore from you. Did the Gator win?

Sawmiller
May 19th, 2005, 06:58 PM
PussBoy,
The gator is on the other side of the state from me.I'll probably wait until baseball and softball are over,too busy now.He's only going to fatten up.
Sawmiller