PDA

View Full Version : Places to Shoot in Largo/Clearwater, FL

MiLyGo
August 9th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I just moved from South Florida (where I used to shoot at the Bass Pro indoor range down the street) to Largo, FL near Clearwater. Haven't found a place to shoot here yet. I mainly did indoor 3d target for $5 an hour with my compound at Bass Pro. Even shot in the ladies league there when work wasn't too crazy. Was wondering if anyone knew of any good archery ranges here in Largo or Clearwater? I guess I could travel to St Pete too, but would prefer to stay close to home and cheap. ;) Thanks.

cmfdavis
October 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I'm trying to find somewhere also. I hate driving to Sarasota just to shoot somewhere other than the backyard

ljn21
October 22nd, 2012, 11:30 PM
bump, also just moved to Clearwater area...where are places to shoot and are they areny leagues around? I would setting for a decent proshop, lol...help!!!!

Came across this place, not much closer than Sarasota http://www.floridaarchery.org/gasparilla.htm
Found them from the FA

and I live in a stupid townhome community...no yard to shoot in so I would settle for a yard to shoot in...I was shooing in my upstairs hallway and freaked my wife out...probably won't do that again, lol

MiLyGo
December 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I still haven't found a place to shoot either. I live in a subdivision with a lot of rules, so no shooting in my backyard. I can't imagine shooting in the house. You're wife must have been furious. Lol I have seen the signs for Florida Archery. I also heard that sometimes Bill Something or another Outdoors arranges shoots. I'm not sure where, as they only have a firearms shooting range inside. Their "archery" department was horrible. Only a couple of Bear bows and some arrows. I was really hoping that there would be more places to shoot around here, as it is a bit more rural than where I'm from. But south Florida has way more opportunities to shoot than this area. Very disappointing. I have yet to shoot since moving up here 8 months ago.

rappa29
December 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Hi,
I live in Largo also. I'm new to archery but have lived in Pinellas County most of my life. I'm quickly discovering there isn't much Archery support around here. At least I haven't found much yet, but still looking.

I started out in the house for my son and me. After a half dozen holes in a door (luckily they're only $40 at Home Depot to replace) I moved to the garage.
My son (7) shoots from the garage door to the back wall. I shoot from the end of the driveway to the back wall. Appropriate backstops and targets are setup.
He still shoots in the garage with his Genesis at about 15lbs, but I'm moving up to 50lbs+ now and afraid I don't have enough backstop setup. Plus, I have 'older' neighbors and am self conscious about standing at the end of my driveway in plain view and having the neighbors freak out and call the cops! hahahahahaha!

Bill Jackson's used to have an offsite archery range. Not sure if it's still open. You'd pay at the shop then drive up the street to it. I like their gun range. Agreed, they don't have crap for archery gear though!

This place has a nice indoor range. Haven't shot there though. I've visited the shop to buy stuff but haven't shot there.
http://www.tampaarcheryshop.com/

This place has an outdoor range with 3D targets. We go there at least every other weekend.
http://www.brittonsarchery.com/

Both places are far, but we really like Britton's because it's outdoor (covered) and it has the 3D targets. The owner is really nice, helpful and easy going. The place gets very busy so we always show up as soon as it opens and stay for 1-1.5hrs depending on how busy it gets or how the boy is feeling. He's usually done after an hour.

ASTROBOW
December 18th, 2012, 11:55 AM
1. Archery Shop Tampa on Florida Ave.
2. Lake Park Outdoor Archery range on Dale Mabry.
3. Tampa Bay Sporting Clays on Ehrens cutoff road in Land O Lakes.

MiLyGo
December 18th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

rappa29
December 18th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Read on another site that Wyoming Antelope Club in Largo has an archery range??
I know they do shooting sports but wasn't aware they had archery. I'll have to check it out.

MiLyGo
December 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Let us know what you find. :)

rappa29
December 18th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Good news! They start up again in January 2013! Doesn't say anything about if nonmembers are welcome, but membership isn't much considering all the activities they have there!

http://www.wyomingantelopeclub.org/index.php/archery

MiLyGo
December 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks! :)

bhtr3d
December 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hi,
I live in Largo also. I'm new to archery but have lived in Pinellas County most of my life. I'm quickly discovering there isn't much Archery support around here. At least I haven't found much yet, but still looking.

I started out in the house for my son and me. After a half dozen holes in a door (luckily they're only $40 at Home Depot to replace) I moved to the garage.
My son (7) shoots from the garage door to the back wall. I shoot from the end of the driveway to the back wall. Appropriate backstops and targets are setup.
He still shoots in the garage with his Genesis at about 15lbs, but I'm moving up to 50lbs+ now and afraid I don't have enough backstop setup. Plus, I have 'older' neighbors and am self conscious about standing at the end of my driveway in plain view and having the neighbors freak out and call the cops! hahahahahaha!

Bill Jackson's used to have an offsite archery range. Not sure if it's still open. You'd pay at the shop then drive up the street to it. I like their gun range. Agreed, they don't have crap for archery gear though!

This place has a nice indoor range. Haven't shot there though. I've visited the shop to buy stuff but haven't shot there.
http://www.tampaarcheryshop.com/

This place has an outdoor range with 3D targets. We go there at least every other weekend.
http://www.brittonsarchery.com/

Both places are far, but we really like Britton's because it's outdoor (covered) and it has the 3D targets. The owner is really nice, helpful and easy going. The place gets very busy so we always show up as soon as it opens and stay for 1-1.5hrs depending on how busy it gets or how the boy is feeling. He's usually done after an hour.

If you wanting to get some good help, instruction and open area to shoot.....Best place to call is G-Team All Pro shooting Sports. Some of the top shooters in the state , and nation are affilated with this location and there are TONS of helpful knowledge there to be had.
If you need anyone info help just drop me a line . We are located in New Port Richey and there is out range shooting out to 90m , this along with custom bow set-up . So the bow is setup for you the shooter.

bhtr3d
December 20th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Good news! They start up again in January 2013! Doesn't say anything about if nonmembers are welcome, but membership isn't much considering all the activities they have there!

http://www.wyomingantelopeclub.org/index.php/archery

Hopefully, they are a little better then what they have had in the past.

rappa29
December 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I visited Lake Park early this a.m., beautiful place! I didn't explore too much around the archery area cos I was excited to get some arrows down range with my PSE Stinger 3G I got for Christmas! So I parked at the first set of hay bales & spent whole time shooting! Not too many people out, but met a few nice archers!

Will definitely go back with my son & too check out any activities they have scheduled!

MiLyGo
December 28th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Wow! Thanks for the report. :)

enirpearl
February 20th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Hi All,
Largo/Clearwater, FL is a nice place to shoot.I moved here from west coast and been looking for shoot.Seen to many other place but quite disappointed. Until I found Shoot Straight Gun Range.It is the third largest city in Pinellas County, Florida Largo has also resort and processing center in a citrus-growing area.