Archery Talk Forum banner

Alberta Canada Bear Hunt... I got my bears!

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Africanbowhunter 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi every one.

I Just wanted to show off my bears!!!! We had the most fun ever at Alberta Adventures Outfitters LTD. I am SOOOO excited!!! I got two male mature boar bears on this hunt with my new ConCept 32 bow and Axis 500 arrows I made with Qwik Spins 400 vanes and the new 100 grain Steel Force HellFire four blade broadheads.

Used a Vital Bow Gear Star Track Sight, and a Whisker Biscuit rest, a Vital Bow gear Stabilizer, Tru Glow 6 arrow bowquiver

My fist Bruin was taken at 17 yards and I hit him dead center for a double lung pass through He died within sight of my tree stand.

We used Tinks Bear Smoking Sticks and great Luck & Success Got him on May 9 2005

Great Hunt

Red Dot

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
red dot's second bear

Here is a pic of my 1st bear - he was shot at 17 yards. Red Dot

Attachments

#3 ·
My bears

Sorry, I got my bears in the wrong order. The first one is at the bottom at 17 yards. The second one is at the top at 14 yards.

#8 ·
Nice job on the bears! How do you get 'em to run up on the firewood before they die? I've been looking for a sub-species of mule deer that will run back to the pick up after I shoot 'em. :D

How high up were you? I wouldn't want a bear looking for food to spot my toes hanging too low.

#11 ·
Thanks every body!

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.....Tink, 3DMama,INKY, Sylvian, P8ntball, Hunting Godess and Jeff. Words cannot express the intensity of bear hunting and I loved every minute of it!!!!
INKY, I sat 12 to 14 feet in a tree stand with wooden ladders leading up to it.
Had a one two old Bear -ette" Climb half way up my ladder this year and was able to chase him down without any trouble.....unlike last year when a huge one climbed all the way up to my stand in the tree and almost got me.

BTW, I lead my bears to the wood pile and have them lay on it for pics!!!! (just kidding) Not quite that easy!

Most bear are shot in the evening and recovered at dark so pix are not good. The guides lay the bruins out the next morning, then groom them brush & comb them so they get professional photo resuts.

It was quite a thrill as Tink and I Both shot bear at the same time a mile apart !

I beat Tink as I got two and he only shot one. He was waiting for the second HUGE one!!!

This is the mounted rifle bear from Last may that arrived the day before I left home for Canada

Thanks
RED DOT

Attachments

#13 ·
Out hunt Tink??????

Hey, I wish that were true!!!! I am just beginning to hunt.
Just finished my second bow season

I've seen some of the hunting videos Tink has made in different parts of the world , Africa, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, etc and hope that I can live long enough to do even a portion of what he's done. All his video's are with a bow and that's what I like to shoot too.

I am a fair shot with my bow though.....and a gun. I shot so much before we went to Canada I was afraid I'd have a sore shoulder, but I didn't.
My guide and outfitter thought my shooting awesome as I killed my bears with only one shot each. Just Luck!!!!!!!

Some day I can out shoot TINK!

RED DOT

RED DOT

Attachments

#14 ·
Congratulations!

Congratulations on a great hunt! Can you give more details on your set-up? Bow poundage, draw length, arrow weight, arrow speed. I shoot a pretty low poundage set-up myself and to see you get a complete pass through is very inspiring. Tink has said it doesn't take much kinetic energy with the right stuff. Guess you proved him right again. Good job Red Dot, Greg :)

#16 ·
Thats Fantastic Congrats to you both

I was up in the mtns slightly north and west of Calgary yesterday and seen a Grizzly .... looked to be last years cub or a small 2 year old, No sign of blacks however .... strange for the area that I was in .....

#18 ·
Awesome pics and thanks for sharing them and the stories. Great shootin' there Red Dot (and you too Tink)!

I had a question about the bear that tried to "get" you. Are you sure it was a bear? Coulda been Tink with a dirty face and lookin' for a little affection! :wink:

#19 ·
Gregg

Ahhhhh Gregg, Tink gets enough affection to last a lifetime with or without a dirty face!!!!

We saw the bear on the bait and he watched me climb into my tree stand.

The bear actually DID stalk me for three hours until I had a good shot at him!! He circled me and snarled and growled at me, and was so mad he had white foam and spittle coming from his mouth It got all over his chest.

I'll have to admit though, he had me getting uneasy after so long!!! I made my shot count though and put that bugger down!!

Red Dot

#21 ·
Turtle Girl

Thanks Shirby!!! We had more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Maybe next time you can go with us!!
Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.