Archery Talk Forum banner

What do you do to get in the .......

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  BLB752 
#1 ·
What do you do to get in the "zone" before a competition?

I've heard of different types of music, game faces, imagery, etc, etc.

So...what does it for you? :confused:

#3 ·
For me the to get in the zone....I go to the warm up bag at 40 yards.
I don't really try to aim at the spot. I just pick an area, spot or not and just work on form and release. The arrows just start grouping like you were shooting from 10 yards. My mind is thinking of nothing but the spot where the last arrow hit. I don't aim hard, actually I'm really relaxed and letting nature take it's course. I work thru my shot sequnce and am really focused.
After a few shots I just know when I'm there. Once I have that total focus mind set, I am ready to shoot. Remember, archery is more mental than anything else. The toughest distance on the whole course is the 6 inches between your ears.
John

#5 ·
i do not shoot at the warm up range with the loosers.jk but i do not warm up
by shooting i save all my draws for the comp. also by not shooting to warm up i cant cause doubt in my mind if i happen to have a bad shot.this may sound bad but i will not be social until after the shoot

#7 ·
i do have alot of fun at the shoots but if it is what i consider a comp. i want to challenge myself to score as well as i can. at fun shoots i lay back and b.s. but
the two or three comps. i go to each year i want to stay focused. i knew it would sound bad or worse than it is :wink:

#8 ·
I have the nice advantage...

I go to thge course about 2 hours early and since it is about a 10 minutye drive i turn some musice on and kick back and take in the scenery. (remember i am in kansas so the scenery is pretty mundane anyways.)
Then when I pull in to the range I make a quick stop at the shop (Smokey Valley Shooting Sports) and talk with the guys about whatever. Then up to the range and start with the 20 yd bag when i start getting groups i got the 30 and then the 40. Somewhere in the mix everyone starts showing up. By this point i have been shooting for at least an hour. So i will break for 15-20 minutes and let the other guys shoot and take it all in. Who is having problems and why? Who has new gear? Kinda b.s ing with the guys checking out some of the equip out there but then I focus on the new guy. Watching a newbie (like me) can really remind you why you got into this. And helping them out can be very relaxing and rewarding too. Then its off toi fetch arrows all nite LOL!!!
To date I have only shot 2 shoots the first was with a basic bow setup and i only had 4 arrows to start I shot a 66 and lost all 4 arrows and went home.
My second I had upgraded my bow and shooting form with better arrows, a release,limb savers, stabilizer,etc. I shot a 100 on a 20 target. I do it for fun.
Only missed one target 2nd time out and got my first 12 so i was ecstatic.

#11 ·
cenarbowman said:
You must do whatever it takes to make you relax. If you are not relaxed you will not shoot your best, maybe not good at all.
Yep, One and a half cans of cold miller lite does the trick. No more, no less! :D

Just kidding! :p

#14 ·
Geese, thanks Keith. Remember..I do have a mental game. LOL :D

Usually on the way to a shoot some loud music gets me going. Just put in some Linkin Park and Metallica and I'm ready for anything. Also when I warm up I always use the 20 or 25 yard bag. I don't need to see if I'm sighted in. If it was hitting good at home it should be hitting good at the tourney. How many times have you seen people making drastic changes at a shoot right before going to the range. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :(

Hey.....Mr10ss takes some Ken Nugent in his cd player to the range. :shade: :shade:

#15 ·
I just hope I leave with the same number of arrows I came with. And tell my kids to stop playing swords with their arrows.

Really, I just shoot. Thats all I can do. Simple

Regards,

Matt

#16 ·
BowChilling said:
Yep, One and a half cans of cold miller lite does the trick. No more, no less! :D

Just kidding! :p

Yup! Couple 'o brewskys, and a minimumof 2 dozen warm up shots. Lets me know where me and my bow stand before the shoot!

BOWCHILLIN: What do you do with the 1/2 can of beer thats left? Don't tell me you (gulp) pour it out!!! :mg: :mg: :mg: :D

#18 ·
I'll picture the shoot in my head. picture me holding like I'm supposed to and making the best shot I can make. Then I'll warm up at 20 yrds, hard to mess that up. Then shoot a couple rounds at 30/35 yrds. that way you dont make a bad shot at 40 45 50 and then doubt yourself or your marks. Thats the last thing you need to think about before you go out. occasionally I shoot 40 45 and 50 but not too much

#20 ·
Once the drug induced coma wears off :mg: , I try to visualize the last excellent practice session. See & feel my form and see the arrows tracking on target. More or less a form of positive reinforcement.

#21 ·
I stand around an BS a while and then go shoot. If I could not shoot before I left the house there aint nothing I can do to get better after I get there. I relax, cut up, and have fun. When my foot hits the stake it's 60 seconds of all business, then back to goofing off. :teeth:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.