PDA

View Full Version : how many "back tension" guys went back to a calliper?

phatbowman1
May 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
hello, first off i want everyone to know that i know that back tension is performed during the shot and is not a type of release aid, but have seen a recent return in popularity to the trigger wrist strap releases, as opposed to 2 or 3 years ago when everybody was shooting a back tension or hinge jaw release so how many of you guys out there went back to one or are thinking about it and why?

HoytShooter88
May 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
If a wrist trigger release is set up right you can also back tension it just like a thumb trigger release...

Reverend
May 28th, 2005, 08:41 PM
After I master the BT release... and sometimes it seems like that may take forever... then I plan on going back to wrist strap / caliper release, for hunting season.
Maybe, maybe I'll try thumb trigger with strap???

Brown Hornet
May 28th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I have not gone back to a trigger. I used to shoot one with bt but started getting punchy on it. Then I spent a year shooting nothing but a triggerless release and a Carter thumb trigger. Now the caliper type release I can't shoot, I can't get comfortable with the thing. SO I don't even hunt with one. I hunt with a Carter Target 3.

draw29
May 28th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Shot a trigger for years. Finally tried a Bt release and wouldn't think of going back to trigger for 3D or spots. Now for hunting I will go trigger. Dang deer just don't stand there still like those McKenzies.

GVDocHoliday
May 29th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I switched to a backtension last august and will never go back to a trigger. For hunting or anything. I've got two Truball tru-tension 3fingers that I use for spots and 3d and a Carter 2.5 4 finger with the carbon fiber finish and a carter 2.5 3 finger for hunting.

Jose Boudreaux
May 29th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I have carter 2shots with HEAVY springs for hunting that I can use with back tension if I like...

I shot true back tension releases(carter colby hinge, atension) to get the feel of it then sold them

shooting handheld releases also causes MUCHO pain due to my repititious job :(

Wild Okie
May 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I have a Carter hinge jaw release. I use it only when I'm having trouble with target panic. I sand right in front of the target and fire .It scares the hell out me and after a few shots like that I quit punching.
I use a Failsafe FSS Hunter caliper release with a Cobra pistol grip and a Carter strap on rope release.
I have a release that is a t-handle made back in the 80ís still works the handle is wood ,but I donít use it any more.

fire flight L.C
May 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Unless the target pops up or it can bleed, my trigger days are over!!!

J-Man
May 30th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I have shot back tension for competition for probably 10+ years. I have practiced with triggers and shot them at local tournaments well but when it comes time to go to a national tournament I always went back to my back tension. That is till this year. I kept my trigger on my han and had my best start yet to the triple crown. I stiil shoot back tension only with my trigger. I feel that I shoot better left and right with the trigger. Its all a discipline thing so you have to shoot what your most comfortable with and confident in. I don't care what release your shooting this sport can humble you at any time.

Kelsnore
May 30th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Back tension saved me from the devastating effects of target panic. When I go back to my fletchunters, I can feel TP lurking in the background! :eek:

shermo
May 30th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Lot's of guys that I know have ditched their hinged releases and gone back to thumb trigger releases. Although they had a good deal of success with the 'tension' releases, all found that the could attain a higher level of consistency shooting a triggered release with back tension.

Personally I found that I could shoot some great groups with my hinged release, but would then get a flyer 2 inches or so away from the other arrows. For my shooting, I have found a thumb triggered release set fairly heavy works a good deal better :shade:

Rush
June 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
I just went back to my scott mongoose this year. I shot back tension straight for a year and a half. I shot it pretty well, but I switch because I was too inconsistent. I also had an elbow injury that got reaggrivated, so that didn't help. I shot with a lot of back tension principles though and it has paid big dividens. I am shooting more conisisent. Now the most inconsistent part is my yardage, but it is coming back again.

str8bowbabe
June 3rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
When I learned how to shoot back tension, I shot a Longhorn by Scott. I liked it but didnt like the fact I didnt have a wrist strap or sling for it. So, I went back to my little bitty goose by Scott. I still shoot back tension I just use my caliper to do it.

bowdoodler
June 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
i went back to short n sweet ,now i'm shooting tru ball's new thumb trigger,sabertooth

cachehunter17
June 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
I, like a most other people, started out shooting a index finger, caliper release, and I was super inconsistent, then I went to a Just Cuz, and I punched that thing like no other, I traded it for a Longhorn III. I hated the Longhorn for about 2 months, but I stuck with it, and now I don't think I'll shoot anything else, except for hunting, for which I might get a thumb trigger, (I can shoot them much more consistently now). backtension has helped my 3D game a ton though, and I'm glad I discovered it!!

just my .01

pinshooter
June 3rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
I have used a wrist strap mostly but I have tried a BT release a few times. I am going to try a caliper hand held next. You have to relax your hand when using a BT release and that is what usually throws me off. I shoot better when I can pull hard and consistent.

JAVI
June 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM
I shoot a Carter 2-Shot for hunting.... but I'll sitck with my CA for target... and for the most part I shoot either with back tension, although hunting sometimes lends itself to a command release... :wink: