PDA

View Full Version : Omen/Omen Max

whack n' stack
December 8th, 2012, 09:53 AM
So what's your thoughts on the Omen series of bows?

To me the draw cycle is akin to the first generation Monsters imo.

I ordered my Omen Max in 70# Skullworks.

I believe this bow will rock the 3D coarse and just might be able to make a pass through on whitetails..:)

Post up your pros and cons of the Omen in you opinion. If you have a pic post it up as well!

Norm

Rod Savini
December 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM
To me, the omen was smoother than the insanity. I drew a insanity at 62lbs and I felt it drew the same as my 71# omen. If the omen was as light as the DNA then I would probably get a omen max. Here is my omen pro I miss! Lol
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/09/pegyqevy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkeybutt2000
December 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I had a 1st year Omen that maxed @ 64lbs. It was a stiff draw,and took me about an hour to learn to draw it without popping the arrow off the limbdriver blade. Bow shot great and was the fastest bow I ever owned. Now my Omen Max I ordered @ 55lbs,and the draw is very smooth,of course it dumps at the end but that's the nature of the beast. I expect it to be a shooter as well.

whack n' stack
December 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys!

whack n' stack
December 8th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Do you guys have good look getting these to broad head tune? I'm not really an expandable guy.

I owned an MR5, which is not as fast as the Omen but bh tuned great.

AZBIGMIKE
December 8th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I had no issues tuning my omen pro with broadheads. They shot great out to 80 yards. I use 100 grain slick trick Magnums.

cyclepath
December 9th, 2012, 12:54 AM
If I could ever find one in my dl to accually shoot it would be nice. They have all been too short but atleast I was able to feel how they shot.
Too me they are aggressive but smooth. I would choose to shoot an omen all day rather than a hoyt.

whack n' stack
December 9th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I had no issues tuning my omen pro with broadheads. They shot great out to 80 yards. I use 100 grain slick trick Magnums.

I love the tricks too. Grizz Tricks are my personal favorite.

still searchin
December 11th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I love the tricks too. Grizz Tricks are my personal favorite.

I have been shooting viper tricks lately they are grouping great at 40 yds out of my Omen Pro

whack n' stack
December 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I have been shooting viper tricks lately they are grouping great at 40 yds out of my Omen Pro

I figured those Viper Tricks would fly like lasers! I am going to have to buy a pack or two.

dillio67
December 14th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I shoot the slick mags out of mine...no problems to 80 yds either.Going to give them viper tricks a run next year!

whack n' stack
December 14th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I shoot the slick mags out of mine...no problems to 80 yds either.Going to give them viper tricks a run next year!

What specs is your bow? What arrows do you shoot/recommend for the Omen?

Thanks,

Norm

Monkeybutt2000
December 15th, 2012, 07:45 AM
What's your draw length Norm? I'm sure you already know but you're gonna have to run a super stiff spine outta' that 70#er.

whack n' stack
December 15th, 2012, 08:40 AM
What's your draw length Norm? I'm sure you already know but you're gonna have to run a super stiff spine outta' that 70#er.

Stiffer for sure.

My specs will be 70#, 28 dl.

A true .300 spine should be ok I'd think.

I've been shooting Easton Axis for years but want to try another brand. Any suggestions.

I like VAP's also.

ASTROBOW
December 15th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I would love to show a pic of my omen but unable to upload on this forum for some reason....:thumbs_do

Monkeybutt2000
December 15th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Stiffer for sure.

My specs will be 70#, 28 dl.

A true .300 spine should be ok I'd think.

I've been shooting Easton Axis for years but want to try another brand. Any suggestions.

I like VAP's also.

I'm shooting Black Eagle Carnivores in .400spine out of my 55# Omen max. They're 27" at my 29.5" draw. I think you'll be fine with.300s at your draw.

whack n' stack
December 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I'm shooting Black Eagle Carnivores in .400spine out of my 55# Omen max. They're 27" at my 29.5" draw. I think you'll be fine with.300s at your draw.

Are you on the Black Eagle Staff?

What are your thoughts on them if I may ask?

Monkeybutt2000
December 16th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Are you on the Black Eagle Staff?

What are your thoughts on them if I may ask?

No,I doubt I will ever "staff" for anyone again,lol! They are holding up very well so far. Survivrd my torture test when setting up a new bow,and came out unscathed from last nights pop-up 3d.

whack n' stack
December 16th, 2012, 02:27 PM
No,I doubt I will ever "staff" for anyone again,lol! They are holding up very well so far. Survivrd my torture test when setting up a new bow,and came out unscathed from last nights pop-up 3d.

I'm with ya bro on the Staff gigs!! very...:zip:..is all I'm going to say bout that!

I'll have to look into the BE line of shafts.

Nomr

AddicTioN
December 16th, 2012, 03:21 PM
so really how is the draw on the omen? im looking for a 2013 bow and 366fps caught my eye to say the leaset! im use to a destroyer 350..how do they compare to that? hopefully i will be able to shoot one tomorrow

Rod Savini
December 16th, 2012, 03:23 PM
so really how is the draw on the omen? im looking for a 2013 bow and 366fps caught my eye to say the leaset! im use to a destroyer 350..how do they compare to that? hopefully i will be able to shoot one tomorrow

The omen is smooth but drops into the valley a little harsh. Kinda like the d350. I loved my omen once you shoot her a hundred times. Held solid. Try one, the 2013's are suppose to be even smoother. If I could put if cams on my DNA so I had a super light omen. But pse changed that this year. :(

AddicTioN
December 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
thanks! hows the creep on it? any room at all or dose it try to take your arm off?

Rod Savini
December 16th, 2012, 03:28 PM
thanks! hows the creep on it? any room at all or dose it try to take your arm off?

You know what, I crept on mine and it never wanted to take off but the DL was a little long. I could creep at 70lbs. I would shoot the one you like tomorrow a lot. Just shoot and shoot. To me the UF cams are one of the best cams, if t was possible my DNA would have UF cams.

AddicTioN
December 16th, 2012, 03:30 PM
will do..im expecting a rough draw being i will also be shooting elites tomorrow...but the KE may be worth it for me if its not to bad...

Rod Savini
December 16th, 2012, 03:34 PM
will do..im expecting a rough draw being i will also be shooting elites tomorrow...but the KE may be worth it for me if its not to bad...

The draw is not bad, I found the insanity at 62lbs harsher. It blew my mind on how smooth it is. The only harsh part is the drop and that's since you don't have the muscle memory. It was very smooth to me. It's gets a bad rap since people like to bash it even though its one of the best speed bows ever made. Very easy to shoot to me.

Monkeybutt2000
December 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM
The draw is stiff,as to be expected for a short brace height bow. However @55lbs mine is smooth,then the "dump"at the end.

AddicTioN
December 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM
well ill try it out for sure...ive gotten my destroyer to where it dont dump into the valley anymore..i guess just the way i draw it. i like speed but i may go a different route and get a stable smooth draw bow..i guess ill fidn out tomorrow!!

whack n' stack
December 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM
The draw is not bad, I found the insanity at 62lbs harsher. It blew my mind on how smooth it is. The only harsh part is the drop and that's since you don't have the muscle memory. It was very smooth to me. It's gets a bad rap since people like to bash it even though its one of the best speed bows ever made. Very easy to shoot to me.

Rod...why did you get rid of your Omen??

dkkarr
December 16th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I just got an Omen Max about 3 weeks ago. 55#, 27.5" DL.

Draws real nice! I put some Bomar draw stops on last week and they make the bow hold solid as a rock. My DL is perfect and the bow does not want to take off on me at all!

I've been shooting Hoyts the last two years...2011 Element and 2012 Matrix. This Omen holds much better than either Hoyt did. I believe the 70% letoff really helps.

The Omen @ 53# shoots the same arrow 10-12 fps faster than the Matrix did at 61#.

Several of my buddies said that I would be sorry for selling the Matrix and that I would never be able to shoot it as good....I've only had the bow 3 weeks and they have already had to eat those words!

If you try an Omen it very critical to have the correct DL.

AddicTioN
December 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I will for sure make sure it's the correct draw length..and I'm setting all bows I'm testing to 62# for a fair comparison..will get to shoot a bunch tomorrow hopefully the hole Hoyt lineup spyders and carbon the pse DNA and omen the elite bows whatever else they have in te shop

dkkarr
December 16th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Not too many shops carry the Omen's...because they are DL specific.

Hopefully your shop will have one you can try.

whack n' stack
December 16th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I just got an Omen Max about 3 weeks ago. 55#, 27.5" DL.

Draws real nice! I put some Bomar draw stops on last week and they make the bow hold solid as a rock. My DL is perfect and the bow does not want to take off on me at all!

I've been shooting Hoyts the last two years...2011 Element and 2012 Matrix. This Omen holds much better than either Hoyt did. I believe the 70% letoff really helps.

The Omen @ 53# shoots the same arrow 10-12 fps faster than the Matrix did at 61#.

Several of my buddies said that I would be sorry for selling the Matrix and that I would never be able to shoot it as good....I've only had the bow 3 weeks and they have already had to eat those words!

If you try an Omen it very critical to have the correct DL.

Mine is ordered 1/2" short. I can lengthen it a bit during tuning.

I'm playing it very safe.

AddicTioN
December 16th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I hope so..I didn't even think about that..guess I will find out tomorrow when I get there lol..

dkkarr
December 16th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Whack n Stack, You should be fine. After Breathn told me that they run a little long...I put mine back in my draw board and sure enough it really between 27 3/4 and 27 7/8". For years I shot 28 and this bow fits great.

Mine is a 55# model...but maxes out at 53#. It's in speck... I could do a little twisting and get the 55, but I getting old and the 53 is just fine!

bowhunting4bone
December 17th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Thinking about an omen myself.. so the 5 1/2 brace height isnt to bad? Seems like the shootabilitly of this bow is pretty good to all you boys.

whack n' stack
December 18th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Thinking about an omen myself.. so the 5 1/2 brace height isnt to bad? Seems like the shootabilitly of this bow is pretty good to all you boys.

I know a couple of different guys who shoot the Omen. Both say it's a tack driver and easy to shoot with the 5.5" brace.

faston2
December 20th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I'm beginning to think that it's a unicorn or Bigfoot. A few have seen them but the majority of us probably wonder if what we ordered really exists.:wink:

Rod Savini
December 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Rod...why did you get rid of your Omen??

Because I am a member on this site! :D. I wanted a lighter bow. I wanted to put UF cams on a DNA but it isn't possible.

tx20rocket
December 20th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I have an 80lb omen thats out of tune right now and its way smoother than any other 80lb bow I've shot. My only issue is finding arrows stiff enough to shoot 150/175gr heads with and time to tune the damned thing. The only con to the omen is that it will show you real quick when you are lacking in the form department.

whack n' stack
December 21st, 2012, 06:57 PM
Because I am a member on this site! :D. I wanted a lighter bow. I wanted to put UF cams on a DNA but it isn't possible.

Ha..I hear ya. I've sold way too many bows that I truely loved!!

The Core cam on the DNA is pretty sweet I must say!

dkkarr
December 21st, 2012, 10:54 PM
Whack n' Stack,

Let us know when your Omen comes in. I'm really liking mine...fun to shoot too!

whack n' stack
December 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Whack n' Stack,

Let us know when your Omen comes in. I'm really liking mine...fun to shoot too!

I'm all over that!! I will post up pics and thoughts.

Got a pic of yours?? Post up if so!

Norm

dkkarr
December 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Shot my Omen Max through a meter Saturday. 53# 27.5" DL and a 350g arrow. Just shot three times 292,290,290 fps.

I'm not sure how that compares to what the bow is rated...doesn't matter anyway. It's faster that most other bows at 53# and my draw length.

Really liking it a lot and shooting it very well!

Rod Savini
December 24th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Shot my Omen Max through a meter Saturday. 53# 27.5" DL and a 350g arrow. Just shot three times 292,290,290 fps.

I'm not sure how that compares to what the bow is rated...doesn't matter anyway. It's faster that most other bows at 53# and my draw length.

Really liking it a lot and shooting it very well!

Unless you have more than a peep and loop that's about 8-10fps slow. Are all the specs correct like BH and ATA? And are the cams timed with one another or the top one hitting just a touch faster than the bottom? If something is out of whack you should be able to hit IBO unless you have 50 grains on the string.

twistedmetall
December 24th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Im thinking the 2014 Omen pro will have forged riser center pull tech with the same ATA oh that would be sweet!

dkkarr
December 24th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Rod, I was thinking it would be closer to 300 fps too. The bow it timed to a tee. I put the bomar draw stops on and have the top hitting about 1/32 before the bottom. Yoke tuned bare shafts to hit with fletched. Even shot a couple of X's with a bare and fletched. Shot broads today out to 58 yds and they were right with my field points.

All I have on the string is a dloop and a 3/16 G5 titanium peep.

Maybe that's all I can expect with my short draw length.

David Alligood had one shooting 280fps with 27" dl and 50# also with a 350g arrow.

dkkarr
December 25th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I just did the Backcountry calculator using 366 IBO speed it says that I should get 302. Using 358 as the IBO speed it says that I should get 294.

I'm shooting the factory strings...but ordered some form Breathn about a week ago. Maybe his threads will help a little.

The bow shoots great as is though.

Rnfrazier
December 25th, 2012, 12:49 AM
All these reviews on the Omen are making me consider a PSE once again

whack n' stack
December 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
All these reviews on the Omen are making me consider a PSE once again

That's what happened to me!! I cannot wait for the Omen!

I do have to say the DNA is also a crazy good bow as well!!

Rnfrazier
December 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM
DNA is too short for me. Really don't like a bow under 34" ATA

Rnfrazier
December 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Only thing that is keeping me from trying one is what I hear about the draw on them. Then again alot of people sid the same thing about the airbornes also

whack n' stack
December 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM
DNA is too short for me. Really don't like a bow under 34" ATA

I love longer bows too.

I can say with absolute certainty that the DNA is a shooter. It out shoots it's ata.

I'm seeing this more and more with the engineering of bows today. With the most recent short bows..I've shot them as well as any 34-35" ata bow.

I just sold my Hoyt Vector Turbo. 35" ata. I honestly thought the DNA would not come close to the Hoyt. Dead wrong I was. To add to that, the tuning was much easier imo. I gave up 4" ata and I'm more accurate. I've only had the DNA for 5 days now!

The draw is probably the smoothest on the market. It just has 70% let off. Some people say that makes it rough. They have their terminology mess up.

Rnfrazier
December 25th, 2012, 11:06 AM
How is the draw on the Omen? I loved my HF6 and wish I never sold it. Was considering buying 2 bow, 1 for 3d and 1 for hunting, but would rather have 1 for both. I think the omen would work