PDA

View Full Version : Friggin PSE

kahneyjd
December 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Maybe I just got a lemon, but I am having what seems like an annual failure with my bow. Bought it last Sept and 2 weeks in both limb pockets cracked. I eventually got it fixed under warranty after 2 weeks of PSE saying that I dry fired the bow which never happened and 2 more weeks of waiting for the parts to ship and 3 days for the shop to put it back together. Now last Saturday I was shooting in my back yard and on the 2nd shot of the day i draw my bow back and as soon as I put my finger on the release BOOM the bow explodes in my face! I hear from the shop today and they say PSE doesn't want to cover it because I must have dry fired the bow!:angry:

I have never dry fired the bow, it has never been dropped, it is always kept in a case inside when not in use and I just had new strings and had it tuned up. I explained this to the guy at the shop I bought it from and after 3 hours of back and forth he tells me that they are going to cover the limbs and other parts, but I am still out a NEW string. I understand strings are not covered under warranty, but come on man...If one of my customers has had problems that I have had (I am a bike mech)Trek would be giving them a complete new bike. Oh and the bow I bought is a 2010 Bow Madness.

Do any of you have a similar experience, or did I just get a crap bow?

Bow Me
December 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I haven't heard of that in the last couple years. Not sure what's going on. What's the draw weight of your bow? Arrow weight?

kahneyjd
December 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have it set up at 68# and 29" with a total arrow weight of 452g. I am shooting CX pile driver 350 at 31"

twistedmetall
December 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Dang that sucks

twistedmetall
December 10th, 2012, 01:45 PM
What all exploaded on your bow? got any pics I would have a spine test done on all of those arrows. happened twice somethings not right!

BrokenLimbs
December 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I believe it was two years ago that PSE did have limb issues. A guy I used to hunt with owned one, and was at the shop where problem was first detectd on his bow... Miraculously, the dealer noticed the issue in the presence of their PSE rep. PSE rep. admitted there were some issues with limbs. Not sure if it twas a 2009, or a 2010 bow though.... Instead of waiting to deal with it, he got rid of the bow that day.... (This was the story told to me, as I've never owned PSE.)

If you're shooting "safe arrows", I would get rid of that bow.... "Something ain't right!" I'd wager you'll continue to "have issues." (Having the pleasure of owning a 2002 Tomkat that did the same thing in 2003.) Second time the lower limb "blew" was while dealer was checking poundage on the replacement limb he just installed. (Talk about a surprised look in the dealer's eyes ~ PRICELESS!) When it went "Ka-Snap-Crack" on the scale, the assumption that I had "dry fired' the bow was instantly "put to rest." That bow stayed at the dealer and I walked out with something else. ~ The whole "episode" left quite an impression..... Hence the A/T user ID "BrokenLimbs."

PSE CRAZY
December 10th, 2012, 02:05 PM
wasn't the limbs, but the limb pockets had a few bows go out that had these plastic pieces that were brittle, limbs have not been an issue. To the OP how do you put your finger on the release and it just blows up? sounds like no arrow to me??

WCH
December 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM
wasn't the limbs, but the limb pockets had a few bows go out that had these plastic pieces that were brittle, limbs have not been an issue. To the OP how do you put your finger on the release and it just blows up? sounds like no arrow to me??
Possibly torquing the handle and causing the strings to jump the cams, would love to see pics.

kahneyjd
December 10th, 2012, 02:14 PM
What all exploaded on your bow? got any pics I would have a spine test done on all of those arrows. happened twice somethings not right!

I did not get any pics, I just went right to the shop. But when it happened, both sets of limbs went flying the pin that holds the yoke was broke, and the yoke itself was broken. I couldn't look at the arrow because I have no idea where it is.

The shop says that the idler wheel and cam are in good shape. I really love the way the bow shoots and feels, but I just can't trust it.

PSE CRAZY
December 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
then it sounds like the nock broke on release if you have no idea where it went and you were on target

kahneyjd
December 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM

I am not sure, I did have an arrow on and was getting ready to release when it let loose. Nothing felt out of place when I drew back.

PSE CRAZY
December 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM
what arrows were you shooting

kahneyjd
December 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM
what arrows were you shooting

CX Pile Drivers 350 total weight of 452g 31"

bowkill82
December 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM
iv got 2 2010 bowmadness's never had an issue with either one id say something in the limb pockets not rite

redhookred1
December 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM
You sure it want dry fired at the shop before you purchased it.....I have watched people dry fire a bow at a shop and hang it back up like nothing happened .....I watched a guy at the Springfield sportsman show pick up a bow from a venders table, Draw it ...let fly.. put it down and call the bow a piece of Junk....Just sayin it is possible....Bowmadness is basically bullet proof, Very Rare to hear issues with that model!

kahneyjd
December 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
You sure it want dry fired at the shop before you purchased it.....I have watched people dry fire a bow at a shop and hang it back up like nothing happened .....I watched a guy at the Springfield sportsman show pick up a bow from a venders table, Draw it ...let fly.. put it down and call the bow a piece of Junk....Just sayin it is possible....Bowmadness is basically bullet proof, Very Rare to hear issues with that model!

I am sure it is possible it was dry fired before I bought it, but I wouldn't know.

BrokenLimbs
December 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM
then it sounds like the nock broke on release if you have no idea where it went and you were on target

That is an uncomfortable notion.* About 2 weeks ago, I shot an arrow @ 33 yards that did the exact same thing. It actually hit the target where it was expected (so the energy transferred), but I first assumed something was wrong as the tail of the arrow spiraled odly. Upon pulling the arrow, I noticed the whole back of the nock was gone, broken off at the base of the arrow. (with just the inside still intact)

*The thought of a 5 cent piece of plastic being potentially responsible for a major failure is what I'm referring to. ~ Although this sort of thing probably happens all the time in almost any industry. The thought of axle holes cracking/failing is something that has also worried me. (Isn't that typically the weakest part of the limb?)

One thing is for sure: If you've ever experienced a limb exploding unexpectedly... "You'll never forget the incident!"

stevem174
December 10th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I did not get any pics, I just went right to the shop. But when it happened, both sets of limbs went flying the pin that holds the yoke was broke, and the yoke itself was broken. I couldn't look at the arrow because I have no idea where it is.

The shop says that the idler wheel and cam are in good shape. I really love the way the bow shoots and feels, but I just can't trust it.

To me, you have just said everything right there. It doesn't make a difference what PSE does or does not do, you will never trust that bow again. I can't say I blame you at all. You need to get rid of that bow. Hopefully PSE will do something to make you happy enough to try another PSE.

I haven't had any issues with mine. It's a EVO.

Good luck.

BrokenLimbs
December 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I am sure it is possible it was dry fired before I bought it, but I wouldn't know.

I have seen dealers dry fire brand new bows (by accident.) ~ Followed by a guilty "oops look" & a "not too discrete" quick look around the shop..... (to see who else noticed)

Nichko
December 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I know some bow shops that wont even work on a PSE XForce due to the chance of the limbs popping..

stevem174
December 10th, 2012, 03:07 PM

I came close to that once, but got lucky.

I put an arrow on the string, it snapped on OK but something just didn't feel right. I took a better look at it and found I had cracked the nock. When I gave it a good squeeze it broke in half. I am convinced it would have been a bad day, if I hadn't picked up on that.

Now I squeeze every nock, run my fingers around the ends of the arrow looking for burrs and give em a good bend as I pull them out of the target.

kahneyjd
December 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I came close to that once, but got lucky.

I put an arrow on the string, it snapped on OK but something just didn't feel right. I took a better look at it and found I had cracked the nock. When I gave it a good squeeze it broke in half. I am convinced it would have been a bad day, if I hadn't picked up on that.

Now I squeeze every nock, run my fingers around the ends of the arrow looking for burrs and give em a good bend as I pull them out of the target.

I suppose this is possible too but i can't find the arrow so I can't be sure. I did look at all of my other arrows and they are fine. I think there is something more serious wrong with the bow, maybe the limb pockets or riser, but PSE is just sending out the parts need to fix the bow minus a string and they are not actually looking at the bow to see if anything could be off.

At this point I really don't care how long it takes I just want it fixed right and I don't want to be blamed for a dry fire.

twistedmetall
December 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I know some bow shops that wont even work on a PSE XForce due to the chance of the limbs popping..

LOL!! those are the shops with bow presses built in the 70s
there not much different than monster or the insanity

Arobie120
December 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Ive had the same issue with a 09 bowmadness. The plastic piece in the limb pockets would crack. PSE is aware of this and will replace them. Other than being loud when I shot it, the cracked piece didnt cause any problems.

Breathn
December 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
bowmadness does not go to 31in draw..

twistedmetall
December 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I think he meant his arrow length was 31"

twistedmetall
December 10th, 2012, 06:50 PM
68lb 29dl shooting CX 350 452gr @ 31" At that length u should maybe shoot cx 450 .300 spine

ia bhtr
December 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
68lb 29dl shooting CX 350 452gr @ 31" At that length u should maybe shoot cx 450 .300 spine

Spine may or may not be off , but he is 112 grains over the 5 grain rule , his arrow is plenty safe to be shot out of that set up

kahneyjd
December 10th, 2012, 07:07 PM

Please read post #3

twistedmetall
December 10th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Spine may or may not be off , but he is 112 grains over the 5 grain rule , his arrow is plenty safe to be shot out of that set up

so its ok to shoot a .400 spined arrow out of a 70lb rig @30" as long as its over the 5 gr rule? LOL! like shooting a wet noodle. Its easier to tune correct spined arrow IMO!!

rick prather
December 11th, 2012, 01:37 PM
The OP was at full draw and laid his finger on release and BANG! He didn't fire the bow , it came apart at full draw. To me the buss gave way. Maybe the pin that holds buss was broken or frayed.

kahneyjd
December 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
The OP was at full draw and laid his finger on release and BANG! He didn't fire the bow , it came apart at full draw. To me the buss gave way. Maybe the pin that holds buss was broken or frayed.

This is what I was thinking as well.

KTurmel
December 11th, 2012, 05:25 PM
youll probably say no, but, sounds like to me youre putting to much lateral torque on your grip. PSE hasnt been in business for so many years by making bows like that.

Maybe I just got a lemon, but I am having what seems like an annual failure with my bow. Bought it last Sept and 2 weeks in both limb pockets cracked. I eventually got it fixed under warranty after 2 weeks of PSE saying that I dry fired the bow which never happened and 2 more weeks of waiting for the parts to ship and 3 days for the shop to put it back together. Now last Saturday I was shooting in my back yard and on the 2nd shot of the day i draw my bow back and as soon as I put my finger on the release BOOM the bow explodes in my face! I hear from the shop today and they say PSE doesn't want to cover it because I must have dry fired the bow!:angry:

I have never dry fired the bow, it has never been dropped, it is always kept in a case inside when not in use and I just had new strings and had it tuned up. I explained this to the guy at the shop I bought it from and after 3 hours of back and forth he tells me that they are going to cover the limbs and other parts, but I am still out a NEW string. I understand strings are not covered under warranty, but come on man...If one of my customers has had problems that I have had (I am a bike mech)Trek would be giving them a complete new bike. Oh and the bow I bought is a 2010 Bow Madness.

Do any of you have a similar experience, or did I just get a crap bow?

kahneyjd
December 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
youll probably say no, but, sounds like to me youre putting to much lateral torque on your grip. PSE hasnt been in business for so many years by making bows like that.

I agree, thats why I bought this bow. It is possible I suppose that I am torquing the grip, but I shoot way to consistant to suspect that.

Archery dynamic
December 13th, 2012, 12:01 PM
i own a shop and I sell PSE's. Unfortunately once in a while there could be a bad bow. However more times than not the archery tech at the shop is doing something wrong. There is another shop close to me that his bow's show up in my shop on a daily basis. If the limbs are not put on in the right order it can cause problems. Each limbs in individually strength tested and numbered and has to be put on in a certain order. My PSE rep warranties anything I sell that has a problem because of the reputation I have built with them. Good luck to you.

millsberry pie
December 13th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I was new to archery this year and bought a 2012 pse rally. I have had several problems out with it. The bow string will not hold silencers, has severe peep rotation, and it has also threw the peep into my face on the third target on a 30 target 3d range. To top it all off the bow is EXTREMELY loud. I am now shooting a K&K and love it.

Bow Me
December 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I was new to archery this year and bought a 2012 pse rally. I have had several problems out with it. The bow string will not hold silencers, has severe peep rotation, and it has also threw the peep into my face on the third target on a 30 target 3d range. To top it all off the bow is EXTREMELY loud. I am now shooting a K&K and love it.

Cool story bro. You bought almost the cheapest PSE available, and assume the entire line is the same. :rolleyes:

WCH
December 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Did it have pse strings or America's best?

Andrew L
December 13th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I actually did dry fire my Brute X (I'm a noob, brand spanking new to archery) I wish there was some kind of warning not to do that on the box or bow.

I called customer service, told them the bow broke, they were great, didn't give me any problems.
I paid to ship it to them, they shiped in back. It did take almost a month.

The bow is shooting great.

PSE has made a customer for life and I will promote PSE to all my friends.

APAnTN
December 14th, 2012, 08:05 AM
If you bought the bow brand new and registered it. I would call the factory and get a RA num and send it to them and let them go over everything. Like I said if your the original owner and registered the bow it has a lifetime warranty. When I had my shop i never had them to question what happened they would send me wha t i needed to get it up and going and would be happy to fix it them selves if you send it in

Andrew L
December 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM
^ That's exactly what I did and I'm happily shooting my bow now.

kahneyjd
December 14th, 2012, 03:01 PM
After reading some of these comments and others, (very hard to find poor cust service compaints about PSE) I think I may be dealing with a bad shop. PSE is replacing the parts needed to get the bow up and running, which I am happy about. If something happens again, I will send it to PSE myself. Most of the time I don't care how long it takes as long as the work is done right.

Archery dynamic
December 14th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I am a PSE dealer and had a bow come into my shop that was purchased from a different shop. This bow was orginally a #50 bow and he had the other shop order #70 limbs for it. His first shot limbs exploded. Took it back PSE warrantied the limbs and he had to buy new strings and cables 2nd shot this time it exploded again. He brought it to me and I discovered that the limbs were put on in th wrong order. Each limb from PSE is strength tested a numbered for strength and there is a chart to follow to put them in the correct order by strength. If these are not in the right order they can explode. That could be the problem. Not sure if all dealers know that I didn't until this bow came into my shop and I asked if there was anything new I should know if I order him new limbs. I have a great relationship with PSE and my rep they never give me any trouble if I say it needs to be warrantied they warranty it.

ia bhtr
December 14th, 2012, 08:54 PM

If the bow is loud = it is probably out of time , peeps should be tied in , not holding silencers - seen silencers break , other than that probably not istalled properly ( same as the peep ) PSEs lower end bows do have lesser quality strings , hence lower price , I am guessing the bow was turned down to or below its bottom weight range , just some random thoughts