PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on diamond deadeye for newbie

alaskariverguy
December 15th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Military friend is looking at the diamond deadeye due to their military discount. Anyone have any input on this bow? Brace height is a bit short in my opinion for someone new to archery. Hard to pass up such a great deal but the if it causes more problems is it really worth it?

Steve

boilerfarmer12
December 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Personally I would say no. I had a outlaw. It was fast but I didn't like it. With the shallow idler groove I always had the thought of the string jumping off. It also has a really aggressive cam. I have a had a couple of shop techs tells me they don't like working on them. I heard they had put idlers with deeper cams on the newer ones but I haven't seem one with them yet. Have him check out the new Core. Much user friendly specs but I haven't seen the bow in person yet.

allmycash
December 15th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I am military also, did my reaserch the new CORE is IMO a great bow for beginers and experts alike. It has a deeper "V" in the cam and is fully adjustiable. You get a lot of bang for your Buck. There is nothing wrong if the Dead Eye is the choice he decids to go with. Any bow is better that no bow at all :wink:

N7XW
December 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
What is his draw length? If it is less than 28" the mod may wear the cable very quickly. I have a Fugitive (same cam and mod) and only have 200 shots on a brand new factory Octane string/cable and the serving is just about gone.

vito9999
December 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Dead Eye is way to much bow for a beginner.

alaskariverguy
December 16th, 2012, 10:06 PM
His draw length is likely under 28 and thanks for the input. Steered him to the marquis if he can get it at the overseas discount.

Steve

VORTEC429
December 18th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Ive shot the deadeye. I think it has a rough draw cycle. I love Diamond and Bowtech but I would go with an Assassin or Invasion if your looking for that kind of speed but 7" brace height. If your set on Diamond the Outlaw is a little easier to handle but still has a rough draw cycle. Diamond has really changed things up over the last several years. Im actually looking into a Bowtech Invasion myself!

scornedgrappler
January 11th, 2013, 10:13 AM
If he is completely new to archery he needs to start with a Fugitive or Outlaw. The Deadeye will be way too much for him. It has an aggressice draw cycle and is not as forgiving. I started with an Iceman and was able to shoot well with it our the box. Now I bought a Deadeye and tts taken me the better part of 7 months to correct the imperfections in my shooting game that the Iceman compensated for. Being in the military, I understand the allure of wanting to pay yourself for all the hard work you do, with the best toy you can afford but if he's just learning to shoot, he needs something a little easier to deal with. Ultimately its his choice.

jwstopper1
January 11th, 2013, 02:15 PM
^^^Couldn't agree more. I too had an Iceman before the Deadeye. Still pissed I got rid of the Iceman, it was by far the best shooting bow I have ever put my hands on. The Deadeye is an awesome bow, but it does a very good job of pointing out the flaws in your shooting form.

kerrye
January 11th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I would suggest to anyone, oldtimer or newcomer, at least take a look at the new Diamond Infinite Edge. I've been shooting more than fifty years and I bought one this week. 310 fps at the 30" max draw length and 70 lb. max draw weight. Will adjust down to 13" and 5 lb. with no more tools than a couple allen wrenches. They are going to be a little hard to get for a while. I have heard they are 9000 units behind on orders. Of the five dealers in my immediate area, only one, including the main Bass Pro store in Springfield, MO had one in stock. But, I am truly impressed.

scornedgrappler
January 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM
^^^Couldn't agree more. I too had an Iceman before the Deadeye. Still pissed I got rid of the Iceman, it was by far the best shooting bow I have ever put my hands on. The Deadeye is an awesome bow, but it does a very good job of pointing out the flaws in your shooting form.

I didn't get rid of my Iceman by choice. It was less than a year old. When I got married the Army messed up my pay and my wife lost her job. I was paying $1700/month in bills with an $1800/month paycheck. The guy who bought it tried to really undercut me. I had it fully decked out. QAD rest, Apex 7 pin sight, octane magnetic quiver, g5 meta, 18 gold tip entradas, fletching jig, 200+ spare blazer vanes, spare flu flu's. complete tool set, apple vise, bowmaster press, yellow jacket target, hard case, 2 releases. ****** bag offered me 500. I turned him down and told him 1200, nothing less. He called me a week later saying 1000 cash. And the rest is history. But yeah I had to really work on my form again. But I love her no matter what. Prolly will upgrade in 2 years. Or if my buddies wife makes him quit hunting, Im gonna snag up his Insanity rig for a grand