PDA

View Full Version : New to archery

68rocks
December 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hello all!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

I have always wanted a compound bow, and this year Santa is bringing me one! A PSE xForce Drive in Skullworks...I am really excited to use it. I have never shot a bow...ever! I look forward to taking my time to learn the correct ways in using and maintaining it. I would like to practice my draw & let-off without an arrow (I understand NOT to dry-fire). Is there a training or practice release out there? I would feel a lot better with an arrow in it if I know how hard it is to draw and let-off (the draw) in case I don't want to take a shot (ex. arrow falls out) .

I also think I may have under-bowed myself too. I know my draw length is 29". I am 6'1" and 285lbs (used to be very athletic...lol) the bow I plan on keeping til I am old (39 now). So I went with the 50-60lb bow and 55lb draw. Do you guys think I will be in trouble? (under-bowed)? Right now this bow is going to be used for target/fun...and maybe later, white-tail.

Thank you and sorry for the kinda long read!

ToddB
December 15th, 2012, 07:31 PM
http://thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=12

oldpro888
December 15th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Under bowed? You mean not enough weight? 90% of the guys on here are 60# or less. Never draw a bow without an arrow, period. Especially if you are inexperienced, you can derail it and it will explode.

blackiephillips
December 15th, 2012, 09:18 PM
when the proshop I went to put new strings and cables on my bow they had a safety release to use to test if the peep was in the right place. I do not know what the name of it is though.

cyclepath
December 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Welcome to AT and congrats on getting a great bow. I'm still thinking about getting one if I'm not blown away with the dna, the drive is a sweet shooter
and may be the best selling bow for pse this year it is just that good. Tru fire makes what they call a draw length check tool which will allow you to draw
the bow without the chance of a dry fire. Even with that it's always best to nock an arrow because you never know what may happen.
They sell for around 20 dollars and are a great training tool. Good luck

WCH
December 17th, 2012, 01:15 AM
No matter the aid I still would never draw a bow with an arrow, accidents can happen. You got a great bow, you'll be fine with 60 lbs, that's more than enough to shoot targets, have fun, and hunt. Plus you draw length will help keep speed close to ibo. If you want to learn the correct way start shooting at five yards with a blank bale focusing on your form, work your way back slowly. Have fun.

Archery dynamic
December 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
the trufire shown above is what every pro shop I know of has. You still risk derailing the string off the cam letting it down but this will keep from having a dry fire.

Andrew L
December 17th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I'm also new to archery and hunting.
I've read that 50lbs is pleanty for hunting.
My DW is 50, but it is feelig easier to draw now.

Should I increase the weight slightly?
Doesn't a higher DW equate to more penitration and hence a more humane kill?

I think 55 would be my max as I've read about bow shoulder and down't want it.

Also a higher DW means a faster shot too right?

WCH
December 17th, 2012, 09:09 PM
If you take an ibo set up at 70 lbs and an ibo set up at 60 the difference is around 2 fps, however if you maintain your current arrow weight then a heavy draw weight would mean a little faster speed as well as a little higher kinetic energy.

Tony Bagnall
December 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Re under bowed ......Have you Pulled a bow?? I now you are a big athletic guy.... But if this is your first bow... you will be surprised at how quickly that 50 lbs draw tires you out... I am not big but I am pretty strong but even I found 50 lbs too much after a few shots... I dropped the poundage a lot ....and built up ... that way the bow wasnt going to get away from me....

68rocks
December 17th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Re under bowed ......Have you Pulled a bow?? I now you are a big athletic guy.... But if this is your first bow... you will be surprised at how quickly that 50 lbs draw tires you out... I am not big but I am pretty strong but even I found 50 lbs too much after a few shots... I dropped the poundage a lot ....and built up ... that way the bow wasnt going to get away from me....

Never pulled a bow...But having the info from you guys, I feel better in my decision on the bow weight...especially as I grow older. I could always buy 60-70lb replacement limbs right? (if I ever felt the need)

Another quick question, I know the draw weight is easily adjustable. Is the draw length easily adjustable too if I am not comfortable with it? If so, is it something I could do or best left for a proshop?

Thanks for all of the replies!

Andrew L
December 18th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Never pulled a bow...But having the info from you guys, I feel better in my decision on the bow weight...especially as I grow older. I could always buy 60-70lb replacement limbs right? (if I ever felt the need)

Another quick question, I know the draw weight is easily adjustable. Is the draw length easily adjustable too if I am not comfortable with it? If so, is it something I could do or best left for a proshop?

Thanks for all of the replies!

Most new bows have adjustable draw lengths, and you can change the DL without a bow press, but I'd go to a shop to get it done.

cyclepath
December 18th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I'm also new to archery and hunting.
I've read that 50lbs is pleanty for hunting.
My DW is 50, but it is feelig easier to draw now.

Should I increase the weight slightly?
Doesn't a higher DW equate to more penitration and hence a more humane kill?

I think 55 would be my max as I've read about bow shoulder and down't want it.

Also a higher DW means a faster shot too right?

50 lbs is more than enough for hunting and with a heavier arrow you should have no problems getting a pass through.
As far as increasing your dw I would suggest shooting 60 arrows and see how you feel after that.
If and when you can do that and keep proper form each shot then you can think about increasing your dw.
Proper form is more important than heavy weight. If you are concerned about a humane kill shot placement is most important, hence, proper form.
Hope this helps