PDA

View Full Version : Passing on the dna

cyclepath
December 21st, 2012, 03:23 PM
I had posted on another forum my testing and comparisions for the dna and my axe 6. When we took the dna and shot some arrows through it it seemed
very smooth and fast. Although there was no valley so to speak of the wall was very decent. The bow forces you to have good form and will reward you if
you do. We ran the bow through the chrono that night after making sure the bow was not way out of tune. The bow was set at 60 lbs, 29" dl shooting a
367 grn arrow. We shot it through the chrono 3 times and took the average for the 3 shots. The bow shot an average of 298 fps. Way slower than ibo.
We decided to bring my axe in to compare with the dna and set both up to the same specs. We went throught both bows and tuned them as close to advertised specs as possible. I brought in a 310 grn arrow for the chono tests and we ran both bows through the chrono 3 times each. Both bows
were set up at 30" dl, 62 lbs. We ran my axe through first and got an average of 340 fps, with loop and peep. We then ran the dna through and got 348
for an average. Both bows were over ibo and the dna was surprisingly faster than first tested. Alot to be said about a good tune job.
Now the reasons for passing on the dna, atleast for now. The bow is a whole different animal at 30" compared to 29". The draw is still smooth to a point
but no where near as smooth as when set at 29", just felt like a whole different bow. My axe accually felt smoother on the draw than the dna at 30"
This is from the other person shooting both bows with me. The 8 fps difference is just not enough to warrant spending 900 dollars for and even though the
dna is a hell of a bow and will make many people happy I'll be sticking with my axe for this year. That does not rule out the possibilty of getting a longer
ata bow for 3d this year and makes it more likely since I'm not getting a dna.
These are my findings on the dna and not intended to instigate or dispute others findings.

Alpha Burnt
December 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM
Your findings seem to contradict what others on here have found. Did you have much weight on the string of the DNA and was it timed are questions that pop in to my mind.

cyclepath
December 21st, 2012, 04:43 PM
Not sure what contradicts others findings. The dna we tested shot faster than ibo. 357-358 ibo compared to 352 rated. Not sure what you're questioning.

Alpha Burnt
December 21st, 2012, 05:37 PM
"367 grn arrow. We shot it through the chrono 3 times and took the average for the 3 shots. The bow shot an average of 298 fps. Way slower than ibo."

Alpha Burnt
December 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Above is what I was referring to...should be around 302 just to make a 344 IBO rating. Not trying to call you out, just thought it was way slower than the other reviews I have been reading for the DNA.

naturemade
December 21st, 2012, 06:15 PM
Most reviews i have seen on here are above IBO. If people like Karbon,Shane,Scottie, and Breathn say it hits IBO....It hits IBO.

cyclepath
December 21st, 2012, 06:30 PM
Correct, the first time we shot it through the chrono we got an average of 298. When tuned and set to exact specs listed for the bow we were able to achive above ibo speed.
Nothing we can do about the numbers, they were what they were. Yes, the bow was way slower than ibo. The important thing is we were able to get the bow tuned and shoot above ibo which is expected of this bow.

cyclepath
December 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
Not sure what contradicts others findings. The dna we tested shot faster than ibo. 357-358 ibo compared to 352 rated. Not sure what you're questioning.

Again, the bow exceeded ibo speed.

Alpha Burnt
December 21st, 2012, 06:53 PM
Okay...

GrizzlyMan1980
December 21st, 2012, 07:05 PM
I Love my Axe 6,Then i got an Evo and it destroys the Axe in every way,Now i am wanting a Dna,Tuned,You thought it was as good as the Axe?I Love my Axe 6,But i believe when the Dna is tuned i will prefer it,Everybody has different tastes in Equipment...I am gonna be ordering a Dna,The day my Revenge Arrives...Grizz

cyclepath
December 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM
The dna is a great bow in all respects. The draw cycle at 30" is alot different than 29" My axe was accually smoother. The evo didn't seem any different too me except for the extra money. If you like the evo then you will love the dna. If you have a 30" dl you may not like it as much as you think. If it had that "can't live without it" feel I would
be all over it. Too me it's just not worth the money for a few less ounces and a few more fps. However, I have been known to change my mind. Maybe a drive for a backup.

GrizzlyMan1980
December 21st, 2012, 07:50 PM
I Never thought i would love a Bow as much as my Axe 6 then i bought an Evo 6....I am liking the Evo and am thinking Very hard of Ordering a Dna,I Like if its aggressive,I Like Smooth,Aggressive Cams..Like it wants to rocket you into Space..Lol...Grizz

ontarget7
December 22nd, 2012, 08:25 AM
I bet the first time you tested you had issues with the chrono. The slowest I have seen out of the box has been 350 but most in the 352-354 range.

I am still very surprised at how nice the draw cycle is for the speed it gets. I am as equally surprised at how quiet it is for those kind of speeds.

GrizzlyMan1980
December 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
I bet the first time you tested you had issues with the chrono. The slowest I have seen out of the box has been 350 but most in the 352-354 range.

I am still very surprised at how nice the draw cycle is for the speed it gets. I am as equally surprised at how quiet it is for those kind of speeds.How are you shooting that bow to get those speeds,I Want to know what it will do with a 28" Draw set at 60-62 Lbs,With a CF Bowmadness 200 Arrow Cut at 28" with a 125 Gr Broadhead,Theres no way its doin anywhere close to the Ibo,No bows will,I Buy my bows to hunt with,Not to shoot through a Chrony,If i can get high 290's-300,I am super Happy with a Speed bow set up to hunt with...Grizz

bornagain
December 22nd, 2012, 08:41 AM
I have shot two different DNA's through a chrono they definitely seem to lose efficiency as arrow weight goes up more so than other bows I have experienced in the past. In both cases when I shot a heavier 400+ gr arrow they fell well short of IBO doing the math. With that being said guys like ontarget7 and Scottie/PA who are reputable sources say the easily make IBO and I believe them so maybe they just like lighter arrows.

ontarget7
December 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
How are you shooting that bow to get those speeds,I Want to know what it will do with a 28" Draw set at 60-62 Lbs,With a CF Bowmadness 200 Arrow Cut at 28" with a 125 Gr Broadhead,Theres no way its doin anywhere close to the Ibo,No bows will,I Buy my bows to hunt with,Not to shoot through a Chrony,If i can get high 290's-300,I am super Happy with a Speed bow set up to hunt with...Grizz

I have a couple different set ups right now. My specs are 61# 29" draw 367 gr @ 310-312 fps, 392 gr arrow at 302.6 fps and a 455 gr arrow @ 281-282 fps

If you want to plat with some of your own numbers this calculator has been very close + or - 2 fps http://www.stickemarchery.com/stickemcart/Archery-Calculators.aspx

GrizzlyMan1980
December 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
I have a couple different set ups right now. My specs are 61# 29" draw 367 gr @ 310-312 fps, 392 gr arrow at 302.6 fps and a 455 gr arrow @ 281-282 fps

If you want to plat with some of your own numbers this calculator has been very close + or - 2 fps http://www.stickemarchery.com/stickemcart/Archery-Calculators.aspxThanks ,Happy Hollidays...Grizz

ontarget7
December 22nd, 2012, 09:04 AM
I have shot two different DNA's through a chrono they definitely seem to lose efficiency as arrow weight goes up more so than other bows I have experienced in the past. In both cases when I shot a heavier 400+ gr arrow they fell well short of IBO doing the math. With that being said guys like ontarget7 and Scottie/PA who are reputable sources say the easily make IBO and I believe them so maybe they just like lighter arrows.

I generally will post numbers over an average of my outdoor readings and indoor lighting with a light kit. I had situation one day that I had some smoking fast readings but honestly don't post until I have shot it through numerous times. For instance when the DNA first came in I shot it through the chrono right out of the box and I was very surprised at what equaled a 359 IBO. Now I didn't want to post these speeds right away so I did some more testing and found the chrono to be inaccurate on those shots that day, for whatever reason. Ya, could have posted those speeds but I want to make sure I am honest in my findings and not purely hyping up the speeds for the sake of gaining more business.

bornagain
December 22nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
I generally will post numbers over an average of my outdoor readings and indoor lighting with a light kit. I had situation one day that I had some smoking fast readings but honestly don't post until I have shot it through numerous times. For instance when the DNA first came in I shot it through the chrono right out of the box and I was very surprised at what equaled a 359 IBO. Now I didn't want to post these speeds right away so I did some more testing and found the chrono to be inaccurate on those shots that day, for whatever reason. Ya, could have posted those speeds but I want to make sure I am honest in my findings and not purely hyping up the speeds for the sake of gaining more business.

I'm with you, I have been competing in the firearms arena for over 25 years where every major tournament you are chronoed. I am very familiar with all the little nuances of chronographs. Even outside, sun, cloud cover and temperature all have an effect on readings not to mention certain brands of chronographs.