PDA

View Full Version : PSE tuning tips Q&A

schmel_me
December 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM
Thought this may be a better place to put this rather than starting an all out brand bashing war over in the general section LOL.

I have recently gone to an all pse fleet i am happy with them they shoot as well as the hoyts they replaced.

I have been wrenching on my dominator 3d i recently purchased (new 2012 model). The bow paper tuned as expected like my axe,dominator pro(gone now). Needed some yoke tuning to get rid of left tear.
I got the bow and put the bomar rocker pins in and stops. Checking for cam lean i have about .220" of right lean in the lower cam measured at the center of the string. The top cam is set almost identical for distance from string.
Paper tuned perfect bare shaft hole and fletched shaft tears perfect.
So why change it right?
If i can tune it with cams straighter i would like to.

soooo i shimmed the bottom cam towards the cables a few thousandths and got the lower cam perfectly straight. Upon checking in the draw board it just had to much opposite(left) lean in the cam with the cable load.
Did some checks in the draw board i found the cam leans pretty hard in the first 2inches of the draw cycle as the cable load ramps up then ends up opposite at full draw.
So i tuned it this way and ended up having to add even more lean to the top cam (was thinking it would be less).

Didnt like that so back to OE shim spacing on bottom cam 2 equal size on left 1 on right. With my current limb def. it wants a little inital right lean to settle straight at full draw.
After looking at top cam noticed its not shimmed dead center in the limbs so i switched the shim stack to move it to right which is about .012.
retuned the top yoke ended up with about .3" of lean measured at center of the string(tip of cam to left). Lower cam still at .220ish.
I just dont like how that lower cam rolls hard at the start of the draw or end of power stroke. Has anyone watched this on their bow???I understand this inherent of the design but i just want some advice.
Cable guard turned correctly too just in case anyone was wondering.
So is it worth a tear down to make sure i have the stiffest limb on the that right lower?

ia bhtr
December 22nd, 2012, 12:12 AM
Similar here , got rid of the Hoyts and picked up a 2012 Supra Me , 2013 Supra Max , and a 2013 Vendetta DC , just starting to learn the tuning diff from Hoyt to PSE , Yoke tuning on my stuff , the PSEs respond a lot more with the uneven limb deflection , havent played with the cam lean thing yet like you have , my ME and my VDC tuned up fantastic as far as shooting , bareshafts , & paper , my Max is tuning pretty good but is more challenging , seems to want to go a 1/2 twist out of tune on the yoke frequently , had a buddy build a set of Trophy string/cables , it mite be them just taking their time settling in

schmel_me
December 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Putting some pics up of one of my dominators in the draw board.
First pic shows the bottom cam lean at full draw. Even with some intial lean to the right at draw in have about an inch over to left.
The top cam is yoke tuned and ended up dead straight at full draw with about 1/2" lean at rest.
2nd and 3rd pics show lean at rest.

schmel_me
December 31st, 2012, 03:25 PM
I can get an almost perfect hole through paper but my walkback is trending left. If i tick the rest to compensate and rechech paper im back to a 1in tear.

swbuckmaster
December 31st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Sounds like your tooo close to the paper. Paper tunning should be done with bare shafts at around 4 yards. If your standing right in front if it like most you won't get it to work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

schmel_me
December 31st, 2012, 04:53 PM
I usually do three shots at 6ft 15ft 25ft

WCH
December 31st, 2012, 05:00 PM
Could be a grip issue, not trying to start anything

schmel_me
December 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Yeh i kinda thought that too but i have a few hunred shots through paper playing with it and its not grip picky at all. Thats one of things i really like about this bow is the grip!
Do the pictures of my cam lean seem par for the bow. Anybody have a dominator 3d they could check for me. Im a solo PSE shooter in a Mathews world around here. thanks for any help.

WCH
December 31st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Chance beaubouef has a video on YouTube of him setting his dominator up. He puts an arrow on the top cam...may be a little help. I couldn't really see how it lined up personally but he got a bullet hole first shot.

schmel_me
January 1st, 2013, 02:09 AM
Chance beaubouef has a video on YouTube of him setting his dominator up. He puts an arrow on the top cam...may be a little help. I couldn't really see how it lined up personally but he got a bullet hole first shot.

i know i saw those.What i really want to know is how his bottom cams are setup.

WCH
January 1st, 2013, 02:16 AM
Ask him on Facebook, he will probably answer. Or send a message to 330 outdoors.

ia bhtr
January 1st, 2013, 02:17 AM
Yeh i kinda thought that too but i have a few hunred shots through paper playing with it and its not grip picky at all. Thats one of things i really like about this bow is the grip!
Do the pictures of my cam lean seem par for the bow. Anybody have a dominator 3d they could check for me. Im a solo PSE shooter in a Mathews world around here. thanks for any help.

Use a bareshaft & start close to the target 5-10 yds , I like to start at 5 , if the shaft is going into the target, tip right , put 1/2 twist in the left side of the yoke & take a 1/2 twist out of the right side , ( naturally opposite if hitting left )keep playing like this till the shaft is going into the butt straight , then move back 5 yds & repeat , I am doing this back to 30 yds which is all I can get indoors , when you get that bareshaft going in the middle of a fletched group , when you try it thru paper again it wil be a dead perfect tear

if you dont equalize side dto side on the yoke twists you will start taking the bottom cam out of time , so pay attn to that as well , may have to do a little twisting to bring the bottom cam back in time

redman
August 11th, 2013, 01:30 AM
great info any way to get all the came lean out of the bottom cam

tmorelli
August 13th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Carl,

You're making it awful hard on yourself.

If you need top cam pre-lean like / to make a RH bow be plumb at full draw, you have the limbs out of sequence.

Did you move the limbs? I keep all mine with the strongest limb on the top left. Weakest top right.

Then, the bottom cam is also going to need the pre-lean at brace to be plumb at full draw.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

redman
August 13th, 2013, 10:53 AM
What up with pse , Pse is putting the strongest limb on the bottom left weakest on the bottom right

tmorelli
August 13th, 2013, 10:58 AM
What up with pse , Pse is putting the strongest limb on the bottom left weakest on the bottom right

I've never seen them do that. They typically match the bottom two limbs or they may be 1 number off. If they aren't matched, the stronger of the two goes towards the cable gaurd.

redman
August 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM
the older dominator built from pse that way

nccrutch
August 14th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I install all mine like this:

1 being the weakest, 4 being the strongest.

redman
August 14th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Thank you for info will move limbs and see if it helps and try to shim cam called pse and they are no help .