PDA

View Full Version : New to PSE compound bows.

rappa29
December 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I'm an adult (41) newbie to compound bows and relatively new to archery in general (started on and off with a PSE recurve many years ago). My son (7) and I started shooting compound last summer together. He's brand new to archery.

After a lot of research here, the interwebs and in shops, I decided to upgrade myself (Merry Christmas to me) to a new, loaded, 2013 Stinger 3g in black/camo, 28"/55lbs (max 60lbs). I started out last summer with a used Mission Menace I bought off Ebay. I have it dialed in, setup and I shoot it well (20yds and less), great for me considering I'm a noob, but only maxes out at 50lbs @ 28". I'm ready to move into something more 'powerful' (for lack of better term). The Stinger seemed like a good starting point considering my budget. Plus, I can keep the Menace for my boy when he gets older.

I haven't been to the range yet for any real practice with the Stinger, but have been shooting in the garage to get used to the feel of it. It's significantly heavier than the Mission but the draw is smoother and more consistent. The Mission has a 'hump' before it lets off.

Got a great deal on it with a Copper John sight, stabilizer and PSE Mustang rest. Ended up putting a WB on it that I had from an older starter compound. Also considering stripping the Mission of the QAD Hunter it has on it, but will wait until after I put some real time in at the range to see how the Stinger feels and performs at distance (20-40yds).

Anyhow, just wanted to chime in with excitement about my new to me PSE bow!

crmoore83
December 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Well to the club. The Stinger is a great bow but as you have stated it is a tad heavy for some people. Nothing wrong with shooting in the garage as that is what I'm currently doing due to the weather. Even though it might be a short distant in the garage it still allows you to focus on your form and continue to develop muscle memory.

Once again congrats and good shooting

Bow Me
December 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
The Stinger is a great bow! The only thing I would do to it is put a quality string/cable set on it.

cyclepath
December 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
And 86 the wb after you do.

DocMort
December 27th, 2012, 12:49 AM
The WB will be just fine

Gary Wiant
December 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Get yourself to a local range that has a dot league and start shooting the league not to expect to win or even compete, but if the local archers are anything like I think they are they will be more than happy to help you out with form and setup, before you end up teaching yourself any bad habits

Welcome to the sport enjoy

Jared DeCrosta
January 13th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I'd switch out the rests and look into a bee stinger stabilizer to balance you out.

Good luck and shoot straight!

-Jared