PDA

View Full Version : New to Bow Hunting

Unforgiv3n
December 31st, 2012, 11:45 PM
And just picked up the Brute X in skull works .... What is everybody thoughts on this bow? I have it set @ 70# DW and 29 DL. The bow is fast and quiet and so far I have had no complaints. 1 question though, should I replace the strings on this new bow or are the stock strings good quality? I have read that alot of people swap them out. thoughts?

Imcoming4u2
January 1st, 2013, 12:03 AM
Honestly I have never liked pse bows, they are very heavy and the cheaper bows like the brute x are alittle loud and not very quick, for the money you spent on that bow you could of had a Hoyt Rampage xt 499.00... they have the same limbs and cams as the 1300 hoyt carbon element, its light..fast..and quiet...as far as the draw weight i would set it at 60-65 as a beginner shooter it will just be easier to learner your way of shooting as everyone shoots different, plz dont think that i dont like your bow it looks nice and i m not that guy that says you have to own bowtech..hoyt..or mathews cause im not..whatever feels more comfortable to you, actually my favorite bow ever was 2010 martin pantara 60# bow it was awesome besides i went thru 3 sets of limbs in 3 months lol but my latest bow i just sold was the hpyt rampage xt and it was by far second to none in its price range, but you have a good starter bow for sure.. hope this helps :)

Unforgiv3n
January 1st, 2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks for your input. As far as weight there is .7 lbs diff between the 2, and a 3 FPS difference in IBO speed 323 vs 320, Have you shot the Brute x? It seems plenty quick and not heavy to me, and really quiet. Im not going to get into who's bow is better, but I think I got a great shooting bow and I am happy with it so far. Plus the skull works is awesome.

WCH
January 1st, 2013, 01:00 AM
Don't read much into that, the brute x is a good bow for the money and is plenty quick. I shot one at a store as a package and put three arrows touching and the bow wasn't set up for me. As far as the strings, pse bows unless they are pro line come with strings from their factory. Unfortunately these are not the greatest strings. If you are a serious shooter it wouldn't hurt to get some. However the stock strings will last you a little while. But they are not of the highest quality.

99luftbalut
January 1st, 2013, 01:15 AM
As a newbie with a 60# '12 Brute X, I'm enjoying mine so far. What am I supposed to be watching for as a sign to replace the strings, or are we talking about an obvious catastrophic failure as the first sign?

Imcoming4u2
January 1st, 2013, 02:04 AM
hey man no disrespect at all but .7 is almost half a pound heavier thats alot in the bow world, and as far as ibo idk, mine was set at 29' draw 65# and victory vap 350 arrows shot 285fps not super fast but quick, my martin was way off ibo like 40fps lol as long as you like it man thats all that matters... i have shot a pse brute like a 2010 model dont know much more than that tho but it had a thang noise after the shot and drove me crazy lol plus im a sucker for the roller guards not cable guards but again personal prefence but those victory vap's are best arrows on the market only thing close is the easton axis ..what arrows u shootin bud

Imcoming4u2
January 1st, 2013, 02:06 AM
the string will start to fray around cams and cable gaurd and peep sight but being new like it is 500 shots should be just fine might stretch alittle but have peep adjusted to fix that....

Westaussieguy
January 1st, 2013, 06:20 AM
I have 3 bruteX, 60# @29.5 inch draw and shoot them for indoor spots and 2 classes of ABA field. Please don't listen to Imcoming4u2 the 2010 brutes are nothing like the 2012 -2013 Brutes they are quiet and damn accurate. The original strings are not too bad, I replaced the strings on 2 of mine because they were 12 months old but showed no signs of wear after about 2000 shots each. I make my own strings so it wasn't a great cost to replace them. I shoot Easton Powerflight 400's and I am beating the pants off most people around me. The bow I use for indoor has the original string on and after about 50 shots it settled in quite well. The most comments I get about the bow is how quiet it is and other shooters are very impressed with the accuracy and performance.
Enjoy your bow you will get many hours of fun out of it, replace the strings when they need it unless your having problems, don't over think it.
I wish I could have got mine in Skullworks, but trying to get them in that camo here in Aus is like pulling teeth.
Have fun and shoot straight.

Unforgiv3n
January 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
hey man no disrespect at all but .7 is almost half a pound heavier thats alot in the bow world, and as far as ibo idk, mine was set at 29' draw 65# and victory vap 350 arrows shot 285fps not super fast but quick, my martin was way off ibo like 40fps lol as long as you like it man thats all that matters... i have shot a pse brute like a 2010 model dont know much more than that tho but it had a thang noise after the shot and drove me crazy lol plus im a sucker for the roller guards not cable guards but again personal prefence but those victory vap's are best arrows on the market only thing close is the easton axis ..what arrows u shootin bud

No worries, there are alot of good bows out there. As far as noise, this bow is very quite. As far as arrows, I am shooting Beman Speeds.

Unforgiv3n
January 1st, 2013, 08:13 AM
What strings would you gents recommend?

SARASR
January 1st, 2013, 08:21 AM
Your Brute is plenty of bow as long as it feels good to you.

I would stay with the string until it starts to fray or is turing so much you can not keep your peep in alignment, wax the string after each shooting session to give it more life.

as far as strings I am a fan of Vapor Trail but there are many custom builders here, search for Proline, Twisted Archer, 60X.... you can also go to the top of the page and click on view our sponsors there is a list of advertisements there

welcome to A.t and the addiction called archery

Unforgiv3n
January 1st, 2013, 09:11 AM
Sweet thx, I will check Vapor and proline for sure!

WCH
January 1st, 2013, 09:35 AM
Yeah pro line has a sale today 60 dollars for any bow any color.

HOKIE_FAN
January 1st, 2013, 07:01 PM
The Brute X is a fine bow and you should be proud to own it. I am.
There are alot of folks out there that think thier bow is the best because thats what they shoot. Ignore all that and practice as often as you can. I would recomment ProLine bow strings if you decide to change them out. I have not had problems with my factory strings.

Unforgiv3n
January 1st, 2013, 07:51 PM
Yea, thats what i was thinking, I believe that the Brute X will take a deer down just as well as a creed, insanity, DNA ect... nothing against any of those bows, there is no doubt that they have features that are better, but at the end of the day, that 12 point wont be able to tell the difference hanging from my gambrel! :set1_cook2: