PDA

View Full Version : Window-shopping for my first PSE.

Preacher
January 6th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hi guys, hope the holidays were well for you all.

I started bow hunting back in '09 and bought a used Reflex Highlander that tweaks out at 60# and somewhere south of 299fps. I've been blessed to take many deer, squirrels, coons, and a fox with it, but between the need for a string and the desire to shoot much faster, I'm ready for a better bow with a shorter AtA and much quicker IBO. Having spent numerous hours online doing brand comparison (www.compoundbowchoice.com), the positive reviews plus my appreciation of the Drury brothers has let me to pursue a PSE this spring when my tax return frees up some funds.

So here is the question:

Let's say my price range is somewhere in the ballpark of $500 for a bare bow. If you were in my shoes, would you aim for a low-end Pro-series, such as the '13 Drive, or would you do a higher-end Main line bow, such as the '13 Sinister? Same price...but I'm still not sure what the difference is or which one is "better."

Another aspect of the question is this: I've found that I can afford some of the high-end PSE bows that are a couple years old and unused from sellers on Ebay. Would I be better off getting a "better" bow that's a '10 or '11 model, or has the technology advances negated the difference between the '10 and '13 varying models?

I understand that this is a rather subjective post, but I'd appreciate input from anyone. One way or the other I plan to have a PSE in the stand with me come October!

Rod Savini
January 6th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Look on here at the classifieds, I have seen some evos that are 2012's that sell for around $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpha Burnt
January 6th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Look in the classifieds for any PSE X Force Dream Season bow made since 2009, they have all been good bows. Guys are asking $400 for 5 yr old bows, if that tells you anything...

Preacher
January 9th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback...but not entirely comfortable buying a bow I can't return, lol.

X-file
January 9th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Look at the revenge. One of the best bang for the buck bows pse makes IMHO. Maybe even a used vendetta xs.
Or as others have stated find a used evo or evo 7. Good luck with the search

011brute
January 9th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I've shot pse main line bows for years. Last main line I had was the bow madness xs. No complaints other than the stock strings. Went into my local dealer back in the begining of the year and with my 2011
Xs and he said I know you like it but check this one out and handed me the 2011 vendetta xs, it felt great to me I pulled it back and was sold! Bought it and sold the bow madness. Now I will say this once you step up to the pro line you won't ever look back! Now I'm chomping at the bit for. 2013 revenge!!!

soaringeagle
January 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I picked up a like new PSE bow madness 3g on at classifieds for $425 now it has a trophy taker x treme pro rest and a bstinger sport hunter stab. Very quiet bow. Tough to beat for the money. My other choice would have been a vendetta dc

Preacher
January 11th, 2013, 09:35 AM
My goal is to build a decent bow and avoiding used bows or package deals. I already have a Trophy Ridge Drop Slide arrow rest, and an Apex Atomic Gear 4-pin (.19/.10) sight. That's why I'm looking to spend about $500 on the bare bow. Again though, I'm unclear as to whether or not an upper-end main line bow is better or worse than a lower end pro-series. The other factor was if I would be well served to buy an unused, earlier model bow or a new one. Obviously if I can get a $700 bow for $500 because it's a couple years old, I'm not only getting a better deal but theoretically a better bow...but not so if technological advances have made today's $500 bow superior to a $700 bow from '10.

011brute
January 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM
That's how I got my vendetta xs it was a brand new in the bow 2011 bow I bought in middle of 2012. And was made a price offer I couldn't refuse!