PDA

View Full Version : Drive vs Brute X.

rookjr
January 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Shot both these bows yesterday. Did not see much of a difference except for price. Am I missing something. I am getting back into bow hunting. Need to upgrade. Want a pse that is smooth draw and accurate. Thanks.

HOKIE_FAN
January 6th, 2013, 04:43 PM
The Drive is a fine bow. I shot both and got the Brute X. I love the draw and the solid back wall. I have a 30 inch DL.
For 400 bucks you cant beat the Brute. I plan to drive it till the wheels fall off.

Andrew L
January 6th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Can we add the Evo Max to the conversation,I just got a Brute X 2012. But I'm already looking at the Evo.
I can see I'm hooked on archery already. I got the Brute X to start inhabiting and I've trying to understand the differences between the various PSE models. So far I'm loving the Brute.

Ybuck
January 6th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I think the only difference is the single cam on the Brute X, vs. the dual cam on the Drive?
I may be wrong?
I just ordered the Drive,both very nice for sure.

AZwarts
January 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM
pretty much^^

rookjr
January 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM
ttt

cyclepath
January 10th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Outside of the drive being a dual cam and the brute x being a single cam the brute x does weigh more. The drive is a pro series bow where as the brute x is not.
Just depends on what feels right for your particular style of shooting. For a 500 dollar bow the drive is hard to beat. For a 400 dollar bow the brute x is hard to beat.

bowshootga
April 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I have the PSE X Force DRIVE on order and plan to buy the Brute X as soon as I sell my Browning Verado. Both look like great bows for the money. I like having 2 similar bows.

Unicron
April 17th, 2013, 09:20 AM
The single / dual cam bow does matter for nock travel path and tuning.

The Drive will likely be harder to get dailed in left/right, the Brute X will be harder to get fine tuned up / down.

The weight-distribution and feel of the drive is nicer to me personally, but I cannot say I'd really recommend one of them unless you really want a PSE in that range. I think they are heavy and rather slow. The DC cam is fine, but I would definately go for the Revenge with DC. Or the vendetta for that matter if you want an alround bow.

The step above it is the class were PSE really shines though: Hammer, Evo Max & Omen Max are all three delicious bows. (still haven't tried the DNA, so can't comment there)

utprizewire
April 17th, 2013, 11:18 AM
When was 330 fps slow? I shoot the Drive and it's plenty fast--over 310 fps.. Both are good bows, strings will need to be changed out rather quickly on both.
UT

utprizewire
April 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM

Unicron
April 18th, 2013, 05:55 AM
330fps? On the drive? IBO is 318, which is rather slow for bows nowadays. Not that it is a problem, but it does perform less than other bows with the same cams on a more efficient platform.

Like I said, it is hard to nock the Drive or the Brute, but IF you have the cash for it, do yourself a favor try the Revenge as well. That bow is at the point where as far as I'm concerned "It doesn't get any better". And 0.3 pounds lighter, same drawcurve, shorter braceheight and 332 IBO. I mean, you are already spending $500 on the Drive, why not add some to $650 and get a bow from which is will be hard to upgrade from the next couple of years.
Same goes with the others I mentioned, but then again, those are about twice the price...

utprizewire
April 18th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Unicron-
Your way off on the IBO for the Drive (IBO up to 326 fps) And we all know that PSE is very generous with their IBO ratings. I still don't consider that slow by any means. If I would have done this over again I would have went with the Vendetta or Hammer. I think the Vendetta is grossly under rated. I don't think anyone is going to notice a weight difference of .3 lbs either. The Drive is a Pro Series bow and can't be beat at that price point. Your opinion is just that.. a opinion. If you have any questions about the Drive cam (on the Drive and Vendetta) not exceeding IBO pm Breath'n on here he will set you straight. Speed bows these days have IBO ratings of up to 360 fps-- a difference in only 30 fps. I've been archery hunting for over 25 years and I didn't need a bow shooting at 360 fps to kill deer.

UT

dugary1234
April 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
The Drive IBO is 318 i think its the ATA which is 326! I dont feel either is slow though and the drive cam is known for outperforming its rating.

utprizewire
April 18th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Sorry misread the ATA vs IBO. Agreed still no slouch as far as speed is concerned.

UT

BCHunter78
April 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I was just at the local shop today and was speaking to the guy about the Drive. He was saying that the strings etc on the Drive are something he would not recommend changing, but on the Brute etc he would.

Also he was saying that unlike the other bows under it, the poundage can be set from 50-70 lbs unlike the usual 50-60, 60-70 etc.

Unicron
April 19th, 2013, 09:58 AM
That's right, the Brute X limbpockets can provide a bit more adjustability. Not sure if it was 20#, but 15# should be alright. Same with the Centerlock 2 15# max down from max, rather than the 9-10# on the first Centerlock pocket.

I believe the strings on the Drive and Brute are the same in quality. Only the Revenge, Vendetta DC, Supra, Dominator, Evo, DNA and Omen come with ABB this year...
That being said, the stock PSE strings are just average stock strings, nothing fancy, but not too bad either. Just replace them after 1 and half year or 3000 arrows, whichever comes first.
You'll notice they won't settle till about 100 shots, while ABB in my experience settle from the get go. Had to retune my Evo Max (a very small amount) after 2000 arrows, lets see how long it stays put now. You might want to retune the stock string sooner than that, but they aren't soo bad for beginning / advanced shooters that you'll have to replace them straight away. At pro-level maybe, but I wouldn't know.

Still think it's funky they didn't get the ABB strings on the Stilleto, Drive and Phenom... I believe the website states they don't come on the revenge, but the one I tried did have them, while the Hammer that should have ABB strgins didn't. I mean, proline = proline, but I guess not...

GrizzlyMan1980
April 19th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I Would go with the Drive Cam..Which bow,Thats up to you..I Think the Drive Cam is Very Very Underated..I Went with the Revenge and would not trade it for any bow in the world...Grizz

dschonbrun
April 19th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Drive is a dual cam, and has a more sculpted riser out of a higher grade of aluminum. It's therefore faster and lighter.

Both bows will shoot quite well... the Brute X is equivalent to a Pro-Series bow of about 2 years ago.

If money is not an issue, get the Drive. If you have any budget concerns, get the Brute X. Both will shoot consistently to a level beyond most of us are capable.