PDA

View Full Version : Why is my Axe 6 so loud?

NYSBowman
January 7th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Just picked up a nice 2010 PSE Axe 6 (w/ 2011 cams) from the classies. (Thanks swampybuck!)

Only problem I'm having with it is that it sounds like a .22 when shot. I dont have a stab on it yet, but I doubt that a stab is going to quiet the "crack" sound out of it?

Swampy just had the bow tuned at a PSE shop a month ago....so I'm wondering what could be causing it to be so loud.

I'm currently shooting about 65lbs/QAD ultra rest/Goldtip 5575s-390grain(estimated)

NY911
January 7th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Hmmmmmmm...........are the cams in sync? Any damage via shipping?

Alpha Burnt
January 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM
How is the string suppressor adjusted? Or does it have one?

NYSBowman
January 7th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Lower timing mark(white) on cam lines up with edge of cable. The upper cam mark lines up a tad inside the inside edge of the upper cable edge.

The suppressor is about a 1/6th or so from the string.

Rod Savini
January 7th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Sounds like your top cam might be behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSBowman
January 7th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Upper cam
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/nathansdad04/86595C8C-D8D8-47D5-BBEB-6FD2ACE52D54-8308-000004B306FCD8BA.jpg

Lower cam

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/nathansdad04/664857D6-0F4E-4FC7-909A-1AEF5772A115-8308-000004B381FAE8BC.jpg

Rod Savini
January 7th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Yep your top cam is probably lagging a bit behind.

NYSBowman
January 7th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Yep your top cam is probably lagging a bit behind.

That would cause the .22 cal-esque sound?

NY911
January 7th, 2013, 11:40 PM
It could....you have to either have a draw board, or someone watch to see the cams roll over and hit the stops at the same time...

Rod Savini
January 7th, 2013, 11:41 PM
That would cause the .22 cal-esque sound?

Yes

ccriley6
January 7th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Loose screw somewhere? Possibly sight,rest, or draw module on bow?????

NYSBowman
January 7th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Def don't have a draw board.

Why would one cam hitting first cause that sound? Will I damage anything shooting the bow this way? I'll be getting it squared away ASAP, but need to know if its bad to shoot in its current condition

Rod Savini
January 7th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Def don't have a draw board.

Why would one cam hitting first cause that sound? Will I damage anything shooting the bow this way? I'll be getting it squared away ASAP, but need to know if its bad to shoot in its current condition

Won't hurt but can cause sound and loss in performance, also not as solid backwall.

NYSBowman
January 7th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Loose screw somewhere? Possibly sight,rest, or draw module on bow?????

I'll check all bolts etc. Could my QAD be the culprit ?

Rod Savini
January 7th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I'll check all bolts etc. Could my QAD be the culprit ?

Hitting the shelf is could cause the sound too.

NYSBowman
January 8th, 2013, 12:00 AM
The QAD is def NOT hitting the shelf.

Rod Savini
January 8th, 2013, 12:01 AM
The QAD is def NOT hitting the shelf.

Ok then I would bet its the cam timing.

NY911
January 8th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Loose nut behind the string? LOL

Rod Savini
January 8th, 2013, 12:03 AM

Lmfao!!!!!! Now that's funny.

NYSBowman
January 8th, 2013, 12:06 AM

I def have a screw loose.....but the loose screws sounds more like voices, than a .22 cal.

:lol:

NY911
January 8th, 2013, 12:08 AM
But to rest your mind - yes, it is bothersome, but no, it is not the end of the world...it will be better, and you will love it...

Alpha Burnt
January 8th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Have someone stand off to one side while you shoot and judge it...I have swore my bow was loud and had someone else shoot it while I listened and it was not loud at all. Where you are behind it, you hear things more intently. It could be breaking the sound barrier also?

NYSBowman
January 8th, 2013, 12:10 AM
I shot it from my enclosed porch and my son actually jumped a bit(I didn't warn him about the sound)...and asked what that sound was.

I shot it in the driveway and he confirmed that the bow was loud.

Alpha Burnt
January 8th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Definitely not normal, check everything. Bump the bow riser with your hand sharply to see if you can hear any rattles or things of that nature.

Alpha Burnt
January 8th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Reference timing, the cable that connects to that top cam needs about 2 twists taken out of it, I would say.

NYSBowman
January 8th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Update:

Just shot it out in the driveway.....no loud noise. Weird. Maybe I tightened up whatever was making the noise.

Def a bit a string "twang" though.

Alpha Burnt
January 8th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Move that string suppressor closer to string? You can make minute adjustments to the PSE SS by loosening the two set screws and rotating it 180 degrees, lining up the screw holes and re tightening.

NYSBowman
January 8th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I'll give that a try tomorrow.

I won't have a stab on it til next week or so. Just bought arrows, so stab had to wait. I have no idea what stab to buy...so now I'll have some time to do some reading on the subject.

Aside from the mystery sound.....I'm loving this bow. Very easy to draw....and nice feel during/after the shot.

Alpha Burnt
January 8th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Go to Wally World and get a Limbsaver S coil on close out...they should be about $12 and do fine.

Belicoso
January 8th, 2013, 02:15 AM
From the marks alone you can not say if cams are out off sync,maybe they are not and the stops hitting the same time,even if one hits a bit before the other(from the mark position in theory the bottom cam hits first) the bow doesn´t sound like a .22 .

cyclepath
January 8th, 2013, 03:40 AM
I put some loctite threadlocker 242 on everything on the cams that can come loose and make noise. I do it on my other bows as well. Cheep insurance.

NYSBowman
January 9th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Update: finally got my qad ultra rest dialed in. Timing was way off...causing a 3" tail high tear in the paper(was kicking arrow upward).
Between tightening all bolts etc...and adjusting the rest.....the bow is quiet again. Once I get a stab on it, it should be near perfect.

Alpha Burnt
January 9th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Knew it had to be something, those bows are usually very quiet.

NYSBowman
January 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM
The more I shoot it...the more I love it.

GrizzlyMan1980
January 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM
The more I shoot it...the more I love it.My favourite bow ever...I Will never part with mine..Ever...Glad you got it shootin for you..Grizz

pingpring
January 10th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah it's a great bow. Look at my sig, still shooting mine. Shot the Evo last year, felt just like my Axe, kept the Axe. I have my string suppressor sitting gently against my string at rest. I also have Limbsaver quads between the limbs near the riser and a stabilizer will take the vibe (yes it does have some) out of the grip area.Both of my Cams are lined up just inside the white alignment mark but the bow is tuned perfectly.

Regarding the noise, I shoot from inside my house out the door to my target and from my deck surrounded on two sides by my house routinely. There is definitely noise in those two locations. It is strange because if I step out in the a field or my yard the bow barely makes a sound and is just silent. My buddies always say how quiet my bow is but in those two areas it is loud as heck. Funny how sound works.

GrizzlyMan1980
January 10th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Mine was all tuned and everything,I Drew on a Doe Nov 3rd of this year,Decided not to shoot,When i was letting down,I Must have torqued the string,It got caught in my Grunt tube and i derailed the string..So i got a Buddy to take it in to the Shop and get him to put the string back on,He did,he then drew it back 3 times in front of my buddy without an arrow nocked and said its good to go,Do you think i can get that bow to shoot like it was before..I Would never ever take it back to that shop..I Dont think he tuned it or timed the cams..Plus drawing it back without an arrow nocked..So,I Came home after the morning hunt Nov 3rd,Grabbed my Omen and on it's first hunt i killed an 8 Pt Buck at 52 Yards...Anyway..Cant wait to get the Axe 6 Tuned up here shortly..I Didnt hunt with it after Nov 3rd...Grizz

Belicoso
January 10th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Mine was all tuned and everything,I Drew on a Doe Nov 3rd of this year,Decided not to shoot,When i was letting down,I Must have torqued the string,It got caught in my Grunt tube and i derailed the string..So i got a Buddy to take it in to the Shop and get him to put the string back on,He did,he then drew it back 3 times in front of my buddy without an arrow nocked and said its good to go,Do you think i can get that bow to shoot like it was before..I Would never ever take it back to that shop..I Dont think he tuned it or timed the cams..Plus drawing it back without an arrow nocked..So,I Came home after the morning hunt Nov 3rd,Grabbed my Omen and on it's first hunt i killed an 8 Pt Buck at 52 Yards...Anyway..Cant wait to get the Axe 6 Tuned up here shortly..I Didnt hunt with it after Nov 3rd...Grizz

Prime example for doing all work your self,no one else has as much interest or time to dial in your bow as only you will.

GrizzlyMan1980
January 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Prime example for doing all work your self,no one else has as much interest or time to dial in your bow as only you will.I Knew better then to take anything to that shop,But the other shop is 2 Hrs away..I Want to buy a Press and an arrow saw so i am good to go..Shop charges $4.50 an arrow to fletch,and i was suppling the Vanes and $2.00 an arrow to cut arrows to length..I Wont be back..Grizz

cyclepath
January 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM
My favourite bow ever...I Will never part with mine..Ever...Glad you got it shootin for you..Grizz

Come on now Grizz, you've been saying you liked everything about your evo better than your axe. What's up? lol

GrizzlyMan1980
January 10th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Come on now Grizz, you've been saying you liked everything about your evo better than your axe. What's up? lolYes..Still doesnt make it my Favourite bow?It is better in all aspects..Still Axe 6 is my Favourite..I Have a History with it...Grizz

cyclepath
January 10th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I hear ya on that. Can't see myself ever getting rid of mine either, it's just that sweet of a bow. Been looking for 2 years now for something to replace it with and just
keep the axe as a backup but haven't found anything that is good enough to replace it with. I know this is going to sound bad but I've tryed alot of other companies
bows just in case something stood out but that was a laugher. Maybe get an omen for a backup to the axe. hahaha

GrizzlyMan1980
January 10th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I Love hunting with my Omen,I Change up every hunt,So if i take 1 in the morning,i take the other at night..I Hunted with 4 this year and it seems like it will be at least 6 next fall,Gonna keep my Super short for Turkey or Moose hunting only..Grizz

NYSBowman
January 10th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Another update:
Went to local range and shot spots with a local AT member today. The bow(and me) shot great, but I found out that when at full draw...the top draw stop is not making it to the cable. There's about an 1/8th gap between the draw stop and the cable.

The bow paper tuned just fine with it in this condition......should I leave it this way or have the timing done?

NY911
January 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Get the timing fixed.

Sent from my PSE i-Force.

Belicoso
January 11th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Get the timing fixed.

Sent from my PSE i-Force.

What he said

NYSBowman
January 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM
What should I expect to pay to have timing done? I assume that it should only take a couple mins for a shop to do, correct?

swampybuck
January 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Hey Greg,
i wonder what pulled it out of sync, you think having your quad not set right mite of , i am glad your enjoying it though. I know my shop charges $30, no matter how long it takes, if your dl is longer then what it was set at, maybe changing the pegs had something to do with it, check at make sure the pegs arent bent also

NYSBowman
January 11th, 2013, 03:51 PM
God only knows what could have put the cams out of sync. My local gander mtn actually has a knowledgable tech on staff that should be able to handle the timing issue. They list cam timing as a $15 charge. I'm going to call them first to make sure they can do it.
If these darn bows could be pressed with a portable press....I could do the timing myself. :mad:

cyclepath
January 11th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I believe there is a portable press that will work for the x force bows. Perhaps someone knows who makes it.

GrizzlyMan1980
January 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I Had the press,But cant remember the name of it..I Hated it and sold it..I Would have it done at a Shop,The press is for Emergency hunting trips..IMO,..Grizz

NYSBowman
January 12th, 2013, 01:44 AM
I just bought a pocket press out of the AT classies(won't be here til next week)....but I don't think it'll allow me to work with the cables. I think it'll allow me to change and/or work on the string only.

NYSBowman
January 12th, 2013, 04:32 PM
What about speed nocks for the Axe 6....does this bow benefit from using them?

GrizzlyMan1980
January 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM
What about speed nocks for the Axe 6....does this bow benefit from using them?I Have them,I Dont chrony my bows but i would get them on my Custom strings again for sure..Grizz

NYSBowman
January 12th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I Have them,I Dont chrony my bows but i would get them on my Custom strings again for sure..Grizz

Hopefully someone will chime in with how many....and what location on the string....works best.

GrizzlyMan1980
January 12th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Hopefully someone will chime in with how many....and what location on the string....works best.

I Have 6 in total,2 Small ones and a big one in the middle at the top and bottom of the string..Grizz

NYSBowman
January 12th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I Have 6 in total,2 Small ones and a big one in the middle at the top and bottom of the string..Grizz

Have a pic of your setup? How much speed are you picking up with the speed nocks?

GrizzlyMan1980
January 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Have a pic of your setup? How much speed are you picking up with the speed nocks?I Have no idea about speed man,Never chrony my bows,And i dont have a pic that would show them,they cost me an extra $4 when i ordered my string and cables from Twisted Archer..Grizz

NYSBowman
January 17th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Found a small local PSE guy. He timed my Axe(and my son's Razors Edge)....for $5 bucks! Great guy and very personable. Now I don't have to go to Gander Mtn for any future bow work.