PDA

View Full Version : Kinda disappointed

AddicTioN
January 8th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Welp my pse came the other day and I spent today getting it tuned in and the arrows flying right and the sight set up..and I gotta say I'm not really likeing the bow at all..I have shot one before in a shop about 20 or 30 times and I thought it felt great..but after a few hundred shots..it just don't feel like I want it to..valley is shorter then I remember it feels like I hold a lot of weight when drawed back..the draw is still smooth as I remember but that's about it..I also like the speed of it I can shoot just fine at 30 yards with 20yard pin..but I just don't like how much weight I'm holding and the short valley...maybe ill try trading it soon for a bow with longer ata an longer BH just slower..ill shoot it for a few more weeks first and then see..I just don't think speed bows are for me.

cyclepath
January 8th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Sorry to hear that you're not happy with the bow. It is a different animal than an elite for sure.
Perhaps try turning the poundage down some and see if that helps you get used to the bow. JAT

GrizzlyMan1980
January 8th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Wow..I Love my Evo,Best bow i have ever shot or owned..But thats what is great about the Hobby,What others love and prefer,others dont like it at all..I am surprised you dont like it,Hopefully you trade it for a bow you like..Grizz

AddicTioN
January 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Ill shoot it for a few weeks and see..I loved the bow at the shop but after about about 30 arrows at home I didn't feel it was right and I shot a few hundred feeling the same way..it was accurate as heck when I finally shot it though! I was touching arrows at 30 yards the first group I shot at 30 once I got scope dialed in..but just takes me awhile to get pins on target and hold it steady and by then it feels like I'm holding back a Mac truck..we will see how it feels tomorrow and this week..it may be the BH I ain't use too and the let off..we will see I guess!

Powhatan
January 8th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Ill shoot it for a few weeks and see..I loved the bow at the shop but after about about 30 arrows at home I didn't feel it was right and I shot a few hundred feeling the same way..it was accurate as heck when I finally shot it though! I was touching arrows at 30 yards the first group I shot at 30 once I got scope dialed in..but just takes me awhile to get pins on target and hold it steady and by then it feels like I'm holding back a Mac truck..we will see how it feels tomorrow and this week..it may be the BH I ain't use too and the let off..we will see I guess!

You know, you bring up a good point... Without veering on a tangent, is PSE unique in retaining peak let-off at 75% (or 70% in some cases)? While I am a re-engaged (after a 15 yr hiatus) newb, and am trying to soak up as much up to date knowledge as possible, I profess that my primary disappointment with my new Brute-X (I realize it's only a main line, but we are on a budget) is its let-off. The draw @ 70# is as smooth as can be -- and certainly blows away its predecessor: my circa 1994 Golden Eagle Predator @ 70#... However, I'm curious why PSE hasn't designed its various cams with 80% (or more) let-off. I'm sure there are a myriad of tradeoffs w/r/t every aspect of cam design... The layman in me would assume, though, that once the cam is rotated into the valley (harshness notwithstanding), one wouldn't sacrifice much potential energy with an 80%+ let-off versus PSE's standard. Fortunately for us, however, we attorneys are not employed as mechanical engineers and designers, as I am grateful for the guys who model these designs (smarter than I, for sure!!!). Don't mean to hijack... But look forward to some education, in keeping with the OP's underlying interests! Best, -C

hotrod26
January 8th, 2013, 07:03 PM
You can get a better valley on your PSE. I own a 2011 Evo and a 2013 Phenom and I have done this on both of them. What you do is leave your draw stops in the draw length you want and drop the draw mod down to next lower draw length. Example: If your DL is 28" put the draw mods on 27.5" and leave the draw stop at 28". You will find you get a higher letoff and a better valley. Hope this helps.

BigBird1
January 8th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Just a reminder that if you were to interview the majority of professional archers that shoot way better than us amateurs, they all prefer lower letoff. In order to gain more business, PSE tries to listen to these folks more perhaps than they listen to you or I. The large majority of these pros are also using back tension hand held releases. They pull into the wall and hold extremely well on target while continuing to aim, aim, aim until the shot breaks. This style of shooting is best accomplished with a shorter cam valley because they can't afford to creep at all. I fully understand that this might not be the best bow design for hunting since you might have to hold the bow at full draw for a long time. However, you don't need to shoot a 70 lb. bow for hunting anymore because today's 60 lb. bow has more kinetic energy than a 70 pounder of just a few years ago. The prestressed limbs have a lot to do with this as well as much better strings and more efficient cams. Hence, my suggestion is to shoot a lighter bow and learn to shoot with back tension. This can be accomplished with a index finger release but is much more difficult than using a hinge style hand held in my experience.

1strike
January 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
You can get a better valley on your PSE. I own a 2011 Evo and a 2013 Phenom and I have done this on both of them. What you do is leave your draw stops in the draw length you want and drop the draw mod down to next lower draw length. Example: If your DL is 28" put the draw mods on 27.5" and leave the draw stop at 28". You will find you get a higher letoff and a better valley. Hope this helps. x2 the man speaks the truth. I made this same adjustment and it makes the bow draw and hold much better. Try it, you'll like it!

lunghit
January 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM
x2 the man speaks the truth. I made this same adjustment and it makes the bow draw and hold much better. Try it, you'll like it!
Will this wear on the cables at all? Any serving problems doing this?

smcelheny
January 8th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I was at the shop tonight because I didn't like my new evo either and he made that adjustment on mine among a few other things and feels like a whole new bow can't wait til tomorrow to shoot it

hotrod26
January 8th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I have about 500 shots on my Evo and no sign of any wear on the cables.

GrizzlyMan1980
January 8th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I Love shooting mine set up normal,but maybe i will try this and shoot it a bit...Grizz

Mr.On
January 8th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Welp my pse came the other day and I spent today getting it tuned in and the arrows flying right and the sight set up..and I gotta say I'm not really likeing the bow at all..I have shot one before in a shop about 20 or 30 times and I thought it felt great..but after a few hundred shots..it just don't feel like I want it to..valley is shorter then I remember it feels like I hold a lot of weight when drawed back..the draw is still smooth as I remember but that's about it..I also like the speed of it I can shoot just fine at 30 yards with 20yard pin..but I just don't like how much weight I'm holding and the short valley...maybe ill try trading it soon for a bow with longer ata an longer BH just slower..ill shoot it for a few more weeks first and then see..I just don't think speed bows are for me.

It took me a bit to warm up to the DNA. After some good one on one time it was a pure joy to shoot!

ia bhtr
January 8th, 2013, 10:31 PM
You can get a better valley on your PSE. I own a 2011 Evo and a 2013 Phenom and I have done this on both of them. What you do is leave your draw stops in the draw length you want and drop the draw mod down to next lower draw length. Example: If your DL is 28" put the draw mods on 27.5" and leave the draw stop at 28". You will find you get a higher letoff and a better valley. Hope this helps.

This does change the letoff and feel of the bow dramatically , I have one Supra set up like this and one with the mods & stops set in the same slot , like the bigger valley better as far as feel , shoot the short valley bow better , like both of them for different reasons , I am setting the higher letoff bow up for indoors and the lower letoff bow for outdoors

dschonbrun
January 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I have new lighter limbs coming for my Supra Max, #42-54 will be more than enough with light carbon arrows.

If shooting a thumb release, I set the ME cams at 28.5 inches and leave the cam stops at 29.0 to create a longer valley.

AddicTioN
January 8th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I will try in the mean time ill list it for trade just incase I can't warm up to it ill shoot it a bunch tomorrow with the new draw stops set like that and see how it feels

Kstigall
January 9th, 2013, 10:57 AM

People all too frequently are locked into a certain draw weight. This makes zero sense.
Sometimes we think we have a bow set up perfect but we miss something because it's a different bow.
Realize that you have very likely grown so accustomed to your "favorite" bow that anything else feels alien even if it could be better for you.......... I have first hand experience in this area.
The shorter feeling valley may be due to the draw length being a shave too long.

So try this......
1) Back the draw weight down. It does not matter if this bow draws 3.5 lbs less than another if it out performs the higher draw weight bow. When I say "out performs" I don't mean it just shoots faster. I mean that it shoots plenty fast and you shoot it well.
2) Double check, by actually measuring, the draw length on this bow and your favorite bow. They may not measure out to exactly what you thought they were.
3) Maybe this new bow should have a shave longer or shorter draw than your previous bow due to the geometry of the bow or just because it works for you. Tweak the draw length by twisting or untwisting the string and/or cables.
4) Double check cam timing. Tweak the PSE so the top cam hits just a shave before the bottom.
5) Play with the peep height. I have found that the peep height can make a bow feel really "wrong" to me. It may take a few dozen or even more shots before I realize something isn't quite right.

By the way, I've made good feeling/shhoting bows feel/shoot like crap and poor shooting bows shoot well by doing the above........ Follow my suggestions at your own risk!

AddicTioN
January 9th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the advice ksg my old bow I shot 29 draw this bow I feel like 28 fire me good..I think your right about the peep and I have a feeling that's what it is I basically have to bend my head over to see through it because it seems to be to low..

GrizzlyMan1980
January 9th, 2013, 11:51 AM
People all too frequently are locked into a certain draw weight. This makes zero sense.
Sometimes we think we have a bow set up perfect but we miss something because it's a different bow.
Realize that you have very likely grown so accustomed to your "favorite" bow that anything else feels alien even if it could be better for you.......... I have first hand experience in this area.
The shorter feeling valley may be due to the draw length being a shave too long.

So try this......
1) Back the draw weight down. It does not matter if this bow draws 3.5 lbs less than another if it out performs the higher draw weight bow. When I say "out performs" I don't mean it just shoots faster. I mean that it shoots plenty fast and you shoot it well.
2) Double check, by actually measuring, the draw length on this bow and your favorite bow. They may not measure out to exactly what you thought they were.
3) Maybe this new bow should have a shave longer or shorter draw than your previous bow due to the geometry of the bow or just because it works for you. Tweak the draw length by twisting or untwisting the string and/or cables.
4) Double check cam timing. Tweak the PSE so the top cam hits just a shave before the bottom.
5) Play with the peep height. I have found that the peep height can make a bow feel really "wrong" to me. It may take a few dozen or even more shots before I realize something isn't quite right.

By the way, I've made good feeling/shhoting bows feel/shoot like crap and poor shooting bows shoot well by doing the above........ Follow my suggestions at your own risk!

Excellent advice here..Grizz

ontarget7
January 9th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the advice ksg my old bow I shot 29 draw this bow I feel like 28 fire me good..I think your right about the peep and I have a feeling that's what it is I basically have to bend my head over to see through it because it seems to be to low..

Based on this I would increase your draw 1/2" and see how that feels. Also do make sure your top cam hits a touch before the bottom and it will feel completely different at full draw. Think that was mentioned already but don't underestimate this

AddicTioN
January 9th, 2013, 01:10 PM
So how do I set it to where the top can hits first? Also if I set the DL to 28.5 where should I put the draw stops to have a better valley?

Belicoso
January 9th, 2013, 01:27 PM
So how do I set it to where the top can hits first? Also if I set the DL to 28.5 where should I put the draw stops to have a better valley?

Put a twist in the buss or untwist the control, I determine which I do by the draw weight and draw length of the bow. Shortening the buss cable(the one with the yoke) will lengthen the draw and increase the draw weight. Shortening the control cable will decrease the draw length and decrease the draw weight.
I would not move the module to get higher let off or bigger valley,but try to learn your back muscles instead.

fanio
January 9th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I kind of like the opposite. My Supra at 60# had about 72% let off and I wanted less, so for a time last year I shot it with the module set at 28.5 and the draw stops at 28 .

It had NO valley, and only 62% let off (so quite close to a Spiral cam), and was butter smooth, and about 8fps faster. REALLY loved the feel, but having learnt on big round wheel bows in the 90s I sometimes get a bit soft on the back wall and with zero valley I got caught out a few times when it grabbed me.

Bigp
January 9th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I have the same problem I went from a Destroyer to the evo max and I am struggling with shooting it. The shop I got it from is going to help me out and tune some valley into it the speeds were not as great as I anticipated either the shop I go to is top notch and they will help me out for sure...

AddicTioN
January 9th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Well the girl just had back surgery so ill be helping herd or the next few weeks so I will not be shooting my bow..and I get my omega longbow in a few weeks so I may just be totally switching to traditional..I might buy a old but goodie compound to play around with..we will see how it goes.