Archery Talk Forum banner

Helical questions

845 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  sweet old bill 
#1 ·
What is the difference in arrow performance between left and right helical or straight? The local shop guy told me a right handed shooter needs a left helical because it spins away from the bow. Is that correct? Also, what's the difference between helical and offset? Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
Everything I have read about the subject says the only difference in performance is that a right helical will have a tendency to tighten your tips and a left helical will tend to loosen them. I've never seen anything that says a right handed shooter has to use one or the other. As for helical versus offset, the helical will cause the arrow to spin faster, which is best for broadheads. However the increased rate of spin comes at the price of arrow speed. If you're looking for speed, you would go with an offset or straight vane. For hunting, I only use a helical (right in my case) because of the greater stability with a broadhead.

#5 ·
With todays equipment and the advent of the release aid, it makes no hill of beans which way the arrow spins as long as you get vane clearance and all your arrows are fletched the same. Left and right helicoil arrows will fly differantly. It does make a differance if you are shooting a recurve with fingers and shooting off the shelf. then you want the arrow to spin clear of the shelf.

#6 ·
The arrow doesn't begin to spin until after it travels several feet out of the bow, so left or right spin is a non-issue- unless, as someone just said, you are using screw in points.

#8 ·
In the days of old 1960's, it was told that if you were a RH archer you should use left wing helico on your arrows. The reason is valid as it will cause the spin to cause the rotation to be to the left away from the bow riser in a longbow or recurve. With todays bows it does not seem to make that big a difference due to the center cut of the riser, the ype of rests being utilized from a WB full containment type rests to the newer fall a way rests. I still am using the left helico and left wing when fletching arrows for either compound or traditional. I just think I get better clearance...With the new Bohning BH vanes I since they are so small 2 inchs use a 2 degree off set on the carbon
shafts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.