PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove sight from Razor Edge!

roosclan
March 29th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I bought my son a Razor Edge package, and am ready to put a better sight on it. The problem is that I can't get the screws to budge. The 9/64" allen wrench is too big, and the 1/8" allen wrench is too loose and just pops out when I try to break the screws loose. Do they use metric hex screws in this, and if so, what size? I sent an email to the company and have gotten no response.

VORTEC429
April 2nd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Diamonds Customer service has gone way down hill, they dont respond to anything. Ill check tomorrow with my buddy at the shop who has them and ill let you know!

buckdoehunter
April 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
1/8" fits our edge, a metric #3 was a little sloppy and #4 too big, do they have a #3.5? I did notice that the after market Octane quiver that I put on it has screws that are a strange size or not to speck, neither metric nor standard fit it right.

Joe P.
April 2nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Sight screws are 10-24 which use a 1/8" hex key. The screws on your sight are probably rounded out a bit. You can try peening it back by taking a small ball bearing and laying it in the hex and carefully giving it a few easy hits with a small hammer, this usually closes up the hole a bit for the hex key to grab. Make sure you support the riser directly under the sight area. Be sure you are using a good quality hex key and use new screws when you replace them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

roosclan
April 2nd, 2013, 08:59 PM
1/8" fits our edge, a metric #3 was a little sloppy and #4 too big, do they have a #3.5? I did notice that the after market Octane quiver that I put on it has screws that are a strange size or not to speck, neither metric nor standard fit it right.

That's the problem I discovered. 1/8" is 3.18mm. 9/64" is 3.57mm. Basically, I would need a 3.25mm allen wrench. They only come in 3mm and 4mm.

roosclan
April 2nd, 2013, 09:09 PM
Sight screws are 10-24 which use a 1/8" hex key. The screws on your sight are probably rounded out a bit.
Rounded out from what? They hadn't been touched until Saturday when I tried to get them off, and the 1/8" hex key was already loose in it.

You can try peening it back by taking a small ball bearing and laying it in the hex and carefully giving it a few easy hits with a small hammer, this usually closes up the hole a bit for the hex key to grab. Make sure you support the riser directly under the sight area. Be sure you are using a good quality hex key and use new screws when you replace them.
Where do I find a 1/8 ball bearing? And then, where do I find new screws? Diamond's CS is pretty lacking, and the only screws I have are the ones that came with the sight.

Joe P.
April 2nd, 2013, 09:37 PM
The screws could of been rounded out if they were installed with a worn hex key or over tightened. You can look in the fastener draws in the hardware isle at Home Depot I am pretty sure I saw the screws there. You will need a ball bearing larger than 1/8", maybe 1/4" you want it to sit on top of the screw not inside, try a hardware store.

VORTEC429
April 2nd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Roosclan how long ago did you get the bow and where from. Honestly I would take it there and tell them whats going on and have them remove it.

Huntinsker
April 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
The screws that Diamon sends on their bows are pretty bad. I've had to drill and use a screw extractor on a bunch of their stuff. If I were you I'd do the same. Just drill the center of the screw out and use an extractor to get it out. You don't want to use those screws again so you don't need to worry about keeping them.

roosclan
April 3rd, 2013, 02:15 AM
The screws could of been rounded out if they were installed with a worn hex key or over tightened. You can look in the fastener draws in the hardware isle at Home Depot I am pretty sure I saw the screws there. You will need a ball bearing larger than 1/8", maybe 1/4" you want it to sit on top of the screw not inside, try a hardware store.

So just a standard 10-24 hex screw? Easier than I thought...

Roosclan how long ago did you get the bow and where from. Honestly I would take it there and tell them whats going on and have them remove it.
I bought it in 2011 from my favorite pro shop, but they're 45 minutes away, and unfortunately I'm in the middle of changing jobs to a new town, trying to find a house, get this one packed up, etc., and the 2 hours it would take to drive up there, get it removed, and drive back is 2 hours I don't have.

The screws that Diamon sends on their bows are pretty bad. I've had to drill and use a screw extractor on a bunch of their stuff. If I were you I'd do the same. Just drill the center of the screw out and use an extractor to get it out. You don't want to use those screws again so you don't need to worry about keeping them.
I'll keep that in mind. I'll have to buy a screw extractor since I don't have one.

One other thought: would they have used Loc-Tite? If so, I can just heat up the screw and that should hep facilitate removal.

kerrye
April 3rd, 2013, 07:57 AM
You might also pick up a 3.5 mm allen wrench. (they do come in ˝mm sizes) My metric set from (believe it or not) Harbor Freight has ˝mm sizes down to 1.5.

buckdoehunter
April 3rd, 2013, 08:01 AM
On our new bows, none of the screws I have removed from Diamond/Bowtech bows have had loc-tite on them. If you bought used, the screws might, and hopefully just blue loc-tite and not red.

roosclan
April 4th, 2013, 12:50 AM
You might also pick up a 3.5 mm allen wrench. (they do come in ˝mm sizes) My metric set from (believe it or not) Harbor Freight has ˝mm sizes down to 1.5.
HF of all places?? Lowes and Home Depot don't have that size. Maybe Sears will have 1/2mm sizes.

On our new bows, none of the screws I have removed from Diamond/Bowtech bows have had loc-tite on them. If you bought used, the screws might, and hopefully just blue loc-tite and not red.
This is a 2011 bow, bought brand new from our pro shop.

mhill
April 4th, 2013, 01:16 AM
HF of all places?? Lowes and Home Depot don't have that size. Maybe Sears will have 1/2mm sizes.

This is a 2011 bow, bought brand new from our pro shop.

Check an auto store they should have them also the have ball hex wrenches.

soarkrebel
April 5th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Here is one at Amazon.... http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-15958-3-5mm-Hex-L-wrench/dp/B000XLXBZM ....
And if you do use a screw extractor these are pretty good for smaller screws.... http://www.thegrabitstore.com/Pages/default.aspx On most stuff I use a Snap On 1/8 extractor but these work better on small stuff.
Just a thought .....but you might might try heating the area before you try removing it..

roosclan
April 7th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Sooo... I bought a screw/bolt extractor at AutoZone today and tried to get the sights screws out. I succeeded in ruining the extractor, even when going slow, but the screws didn't move at all. Acetone in the hole on the back side didn't help. Heat didn't help. I guess I'll have to get a better extractor to try. Other than that, I have no idea what to do.

buckdoehunter
April 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Can be tricky, but I have drilled the heads off of screws before. Then lift the sight off and vise grip the remainder of the screw out.

roosclan
April 8th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Success! I had to drill deeper into the screw, but I managed to get part of the extractor to grab and both screws are out. The new sight is on my son's bow, so hopefully this weekend we can get it sighted in.