PDA

View Full Version : First blood

fingers
October 10th, 2002, 09:41 AM
I've always made it a rule for myself that first blood on an animal gets the animal. Even on a non lethal wound I would and have honored this rule without regret. Yes I hunt in hopes of tagging my deer or elk but come on, there is so much more to hunting than the bragging and showing off. Sadly for some that is all there is to it and will even go so far as to take another's animal if they can. If I were to shoot an animal that was wounded I would wait and even back track for the person. I would only tag it after I was sure nobody was after it. How about you, what's your rule on first blood?

cevan2
October 10th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Definitely first blood. The way I see it is if the animal hadn't been hit and gotton off its normal routine, it might not have walked past me so I don't really deserve it, even if I made the killing shot.
Wish everyone thought that way. The first deer my younger brother ever shot at was a nice buck that I trailed to a large bed filled with blood. But, the deer wasn't there. A drag trail led to me to a road where a truck had been parked. The hunter's in that truck had tried to run my hunting party off the land we were hunting that morning and they were the one's who didn't have written permission!

4 Runner
October 10th, 2002, 11:54 AM
I feel that if you take the shot its your responseability to follow
up on the shot. no matter where you hit. If you dont you dont need to be in the wood's with a bow or gun.

Dbowguy
October 11th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Depends on who shot it! If you shot it it's yours, If I shot it and it wasn't a quickly lethal shot....It's your deer. I am not a greedy person. I have shot deer in the lungs with a rifle and it ran around a bank and ...Bang! Bang! I slowly walked around the hill to find a youngster and his dad over the nice buck. I walked up and saw one hole in the ribs where I KNOW I shot it, and congradulated the young man on a fine shot. That did him much more good than me. I wasn't about to burst his bubble. On the other hand, my sons first gun buck came our way after hearing 2 shots. He spotted it first , it ran down a wooded draw. I got him to wait. It stopped for a long time facing us. Then crossed a fence and stopped again, It then walked to the stream took a drink, then turned to walk up the hill finally stopping BS at about 45yds. He shot and the deer dropped. His .243 bullet hit high in the shoulder. The bullet exited only to hit a tree a couple feet away, blowing blood and hair all over that tree. After a picture or 2 we (he) began the gutting job. The original shooter, trespasser, wreaking of cigg. smoke came down wanting us to relenquish "his deer" I showed him one hole and the "Proof" on the tree and asked where his permission slip was. He insisted his trusty .35 rem had taken the deer as he had never missed one with it. Just for Fun I took a 35 shell and 243 shell and put the bullet in the entrance hole. He finally relented but not after worrying my son to death. We were the only ones to be on this property, I did not own it so I just asked him to leave until he could get permission from the land owner. I later found out he was from California and the "trusty .35" was his grandfathers from an adjoining farm and this was his first ever hunting trip!!! the guy was in his 30s and I knew his G.Father way better than he did. His Grandmother (a dear lady) came to church telling about how someone had taken her GSons first deer from him. I just listened and later explained what happened. She knew who was telling the truth and he lost the right to use Gpas gun for his dishonesty.

Anyway I would do what I said in the first sentence. Sorry I rambled. In our broken farm country this is a common occurence in gun season. We also have a problem with road hunters taking deer from stand hunters that run toward the road. We have few unbroken parcels. Easy acess, to easy.....

clint
October 12th, 2002, 08:44 PM
first blood get the rack. I just want some of the meat.:cool:

paloosa41
October 13th, 2002, 01:20 AM
i agree frist blood unless the first blood was not a vitall shot if the deer was hit some place where he would lenger on for a day are even longer "no" a kill is a kill.most of the time we split the game eny way