PDA

View Full Version : What type of Broadhead do you use?

snowgoose
October 10th, 2002, 10:31 AM
I am interested in finding out what types of broadheads different hunters use, the cutting diameter and why they like them. I use a 100 gr. Muzzy 1 1/4" cut. They were what my wife got me for hunting the year I started to hunt with a Bow. So far they seem to work great. They also leave a fairly descent blood trail.

4 Runner
October 10th, 2002, 10:42 AM
I shoot 85 gr Thunderhead's with a little tuneing they shoot as well as a field point they seem to do a great job dispatching the animal quickly and cleanly and they are durable.

Jim Pruitte
October 10th, 2002, 11:04 AM
I use the Rocky Mountain Ti-100 broadhead. I've never had such a durable head. These heads align very easily to the shaft and tune great.

http://rockymtbroadheads.com/

Oregon Shooter
October 10th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Steelforce 75gr. These are by far the easiest bheads i have ever had to tune. they are scary sharp also and hold an edge quite well.

Moonge
October 10th, 2002, 12:18 PM
I am using the Golden Key Reaper & Demon this year. Both are mechanical. The Reaper is 100 gr. with a 2" cutting Diameter & the Demon is 100 grain with a 1-1/8" cutting diameter.

So fare this year I have used the reaper on 2 deer and they have performed perfectly. They leave a huge exit hole & leave a good size entrance hole as well. The massive cutting diamter is just wicked.

Both heads also fly super and hit right with field points.

Also I got mine at Dicks Sporting Goods on sale for 12.99 for 3 heads which is a great buy. Performance and price, what a deal!

Rudedog
October 10th, 2002, 12:25 PM
I use thunderhead 125g. Now I am a little concerned. I notice that most of the folks on here shoot 100 or below. What are the advantages or disadvantages?

ACLakey
October 10th, 2002, 12:48 PM
I really have three favorites, Muzzy, Wasp SST and Innerloc. All these heads fly great, are incredibly strong and durable and the blades come from the factory very sharp. The Wasp and Innerloc heads both have a stainless tip, which I prefer over the carbon steel tip of the muzzy. The Muzzy’s and Wasps blades are vented better than the Innerloc’s. I have taken game with all three heads. The only thing is I like a 4- blade better than a 3-blade head. Wasp only makes a 3 blade. I guess I am just being picky. I have been playing with the Ti-100 heads lately and have been impressed. They are sharp and well constructed. If I had to choose one of the heads I mentioned it would be a hard decision, but I think the Wasp SST would win out.

For mechanicals I love the Spitfire heads with the clips removed and a rubber band holding the blades closed. If penetration is a concern than I would go straight to the Seelheads. For small game I have not found anything better than the NAP Gobbler getter. The heads fly great and have a hell of a lot of shock when they hit. Another cool feature about the NAP heads is the blades are interchangeable.

Missbyalongshot
October 10th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Spitfire pro series 100 grain.awesome blood trail,Speed is the key to why i think most people are shooting the lower grain broadheads today rather than shooting the heavy head that was once used alot.

ACLakey
October 10th, 2002, 01:46 PM
I think you 're right about the light broadheads and speed. I believe it is more important to have a proberly spined arrow with a good FOC% than it is to have that extra 10fps.

I recently added Eze crests to my shafts. I was shooting a 27.5" shaft with 100g heads. That arrow was properly spined for my setup and gave me 11.5% FOC. Now to have the same arrow I shoot 27" arrow with 125g head FOC 12%. The spine is correct for my setup but I am shooting an arrow that weight 35g more. Not a huge change in speed.

I have nothing agains light broadheads as long as you have a bow that is setup properly. I have a buddy with a 27" draw. to get a proper setup he shoots a 75g head. Very ligh by my standards, but is right on the money for his short arrow.

NEWBIN
October 10th, 2002, 02:44 PM
hi, i use a Wasp Cam-lok 130 grain, with a 1 3/16 cutting diameter. it really puts the hurting on them. i shoot a MARTIN JAUGUAR MAGNUM (FUSION CAM) at 60 lbs, 29 inch arrow and have no problem with the arrow passing throught them.

Wheeln'
October 10th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Im a Rocket guy.

I have shot 3bl. miniblasters 75gr., 4 bl. miniblaster w/ chisel tip 85gr., but for the last 2 years I have been shooting 3bl. sidewinders w/ the chisel tip. They shoot straight as field points and have large cutting diameters (+1 3/4"). They do the job for me. Im kinda biased though, cause one of my friends dads is a distributer of them.:p

paloosa41
October 10th, 2002, 05:55 PM
i still and have for 11 years use cabelas mini lazer pro mag. 90 grain and they work good on anything from hogs to chevy trucks.from 10 to 70 yard pass throughs

robk
October 10th, 2002, 06:01 PM
i have been rocket man for a long time and wanted to try something different in a fixed blade but wasn't happy with those i tried until i hear about the slick trick 100. i go it in today and after 5 or so shots i was convinced this broadhead had real promise. it shot where my fieldpoints did and was very strong on penetration. i am using a black hole target and had a fence behind it about a foot from it and on the first shot it hit the fence and bounced back very good penetration. on about the 5th or 6th shot i almost couldn't get it out of the fence it drove thru it neither the ferrele or the blades were affected. in fact after over 12 shots. the blades were still sharp and the point on the broadhead still had it's color. a good broadheadand i am going to try it out hopefully this weekend or next
good luck all
rob k

Derbytown
October 11th, 2002, 02:26 AM
I use the 100 grain, 3-blade, Thunderheads. They fly like darts, and have the same impact point as my field points. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

SteveR
October 11th, 2002, 07:48 AM
100 gr 3-blade Muzzys here. They fly to the same point as my field tips and they pass through deer like butter.

MIKEY CUSTOM-G
October 11th, 2002, 12:29 PM
I REALLY LIKE THE MUZZY 4 BLADE 90 GRAIN WEIGHT BROADHEADS. THE HEAD IS "BAD TO THE BONE". I HAVE BEEN EXPERIMENTING WITH MONTEC 100'S,NICE BLADES TOO. I HAD USED SWICKEY'S AND FRED BEAR BLADES THEN WENT TO WASP SL75'S FOR A FEW YEARS. BUT DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR,I AINT FOUND NOTHING BETTER THEN THOSE MUZZYS,MY OPINION.

Tattoed Beast
October 11th, 2002, 02:12 PM
With the many years of using bows for Hunting, I have experienced the Thunderhead 125g fixed three blade, has been a wonderful companion to use in the field. They tend to fly staight and they dont break on impact. They also have a radial diameter cut of 1 3/4".

I have tried to use four and five blades, even the Vortex brand, which do break about 50% of the time, but with these types of broadheads they do not fly well enough even with heavier poundage bows.

TB

wookie
October 11th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Spitfire 100's

HUNT
October 11th, 2002, 04:28 PM
I use the Magnus three blade 125gr. snuffer they cut on impact hit hard and leave a large hole.

wilybuck
October 12th, 2002, 05:26 PM
MUZZY 125's all the way...........shot a buck at 20yds thru both shoulder blades ... didnt do a bit of damage to the broadhead and knocked deer off its feet where it stood..........as the sayin goes ----------BAD TO THE BONE...........

Cornfed
October 15th, 2002, 10:46 AM
My favorites are the GK Demons aka Rocket Steelheads. 100 grain with 1 1/8" cut. Small but deadly. I also like the GK Reapers and Rocket Hammerheads for gobblers. :cool:

Confederate
October 15th, 2002, 12:15 PM
I shoot Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades. They really shoot well with my MQ1.;)

Snuffer
October 15th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Da I think I like SNUFFERS!!! Cut to the point -Resharpenable-3 blade(for better flight)- Vented-The price is right and they leave a huge hole. 18 deer in the last 7 years all pass-thrus.

Highstander
October 15th, 2002, 07:58 PM
My old standby is the Muzzy 90 Grainers.But ill be switching for next year,just as soon as Mike Sohm,from Magnus,bring's out the Snuffer 100 grain.Awesome head's.I shoot the 125 Snuffer's for Chuck's,and they are devestating!

littlebubba
October 15th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Puckett Bloodtrailers 90 gr. works for me. I have been shooting these for about 5 years now. Have killed 10 deer with these broadheads. Five of these deer dropped in their tracks. The other five traveled less than 30 yrds after the shot. At first had trouble with mechanical blades opening up. Took off the factory plastic band and replaced with scotch tape. None have failed to date since making change. They even opened on two turkey with both terminating near shot.
L.B.

martin-rage
October 15th, 2002, 09:08 PM
You mean to tell me theres other broadheads then muzzzzzy.THere can only one...Muzzy bad to the bone.thats my pick

Whitetail II
October 15th, 2002, 10:29 PM
I shoot zwickey heads. Nearly indestructible. Currently have one in my quiver that's taken 5 deer to date and still looks new.:D

Lionel
October 16th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Game Tracker's 90 grain "First Cuts" or Muzzy's 90 grain 4 blades.

Lionel

bfisherman11
October 16th, 2002, 12:14 PM
:) I have always shot 100gr Thunderheads. They always fly well out of my bows.
Bill

dstrick9
October 17th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Rocket steelhead 100's

spitfire
October 17th, 2002, 07:40 AM
NAP Spitfire, 100 gr. Have'nt had a problem yet and leaves an awesome blood trail. If i had to change , i'd go back to Muzzy!

ijimmy
October 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Muzzys are great if they fly well for you , cant beat um. Magnus 2 blades also work well and fly a lot better on bows that are dificult to tune . This year I'm trying out the slick trick heads they seem to have the best of both worlds fly great and have 4 blades .

Big Al
October 17th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Muzzy 100gr. 4-blades here.

Brown Hornet
October 17th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Nothing but good things to say about the Spitfires. I curently use 3 blade 100 grain (nothing better) but I started using 85 grain 2 blades when they first came out.

bodoodle boy
October 17th, 2002, 01:51 PM
spitfire 100 grain.just went to them this year was using wasp jakhammer 100 but had a bad episode with them so went to spitfires.

pick a spot and stay calm

ChoPPeR
October 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Well guess I am going to be the heavy weight here, 165 grain Simmons LandShark, not just bad to the bone but bad all the way through. It's a cut on contact head made out of tool steel, have one that took 16 deer, in the last two years. They are indestructible, a little sharpening and there ready to go.

Don Schultz
October 18th, 2002, 02:26 PM
90 grain 4 blade Muzzys, 4 in the quiver. 1 ea. Muzzy w' practice blades for squirrels. 1 ea. 90 grain Triska mech for turkey.

I touch up the Muzzy trocar tip and the blades with my diamond stone. The effect is much better penetration in foam.

I have carried NAP Spitfires in recent season but shot nothing with them.

I will not carry a 2 blade, because I firmly believe it is necessary to cut in multiple axis to be sure of good ventilation of the thorax, and a reliable bleed out.

archerdad
October 18th, 2002, 05:13 PM
ti-100's and steelforce 100's
great flight out of both types and great penetration too

Bullish9
October 19th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Thunderheads 125g

Ralo
October 19th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Muzzy's 100 3-blade

VA-RobinHood
October 19th, 2002, 07:38 PM
I've been using 100 Grn Muzzy 3-blades for years now and have nothing but great things to say about them. It always seems that my arrows find a Bucks shoulder and not the sweet spot like it needs too. They perform great and usually blow through the first shoulder and distroy the other shoulder.