PDA

View Full Version : Atomic vs. Nuclear Ice

roosclan
July 26th, 2013, 01:48 AM
I have a son who turns 9y.o. in a week, and I want to upgrade his bow to something more serious, as he keeps asking when he can shoot. I know that the Atomic replaced the Nuclear Ice, but what is the difference between the two?

wacker stacker
July 26th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I have one of each and the Nuclear Ice has a machined riser vs. the Atomic's cast riser. The cams are different but accomplish the same thing and the draw cycle feels the same. Split limb on the Ice and Solid on the Atomic. I think the Atomic goes and inch shorter maybe but my niece and nephew are both nine and shoot about a 21" draw. I think they both go to 24". Everyone says Atomic threads are junk but mine had customs on it and the stock Ice threads seem just fine to me. I just got the Atomic Ice last night and had my 4 and 5 years old nephews shooting it with fingers. The atomic looks a little sleeker but I can't imagine there is any real benefit to one over the other. I would pick up the first good deal as these get gobbled up fast. Maybe pick up one of each to try and sell the other. They sell like hot cakes here if they are priced 150 or below! You might try to snag one with a release and or arrows because that is another 20 to 40 bucks.
Oh and both have yokes at both ends.

roosclan
July 27th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I have one of each and the Nuclear Ice has a machined riser vs. the Atomic's cast riser. The cams are different but accomplish the same thing and the draw cycle feels the same. Split limb on the Ice and Solid on the Atomic. I think the Atomic goes and inch shorter maybe but my niece and nephew are both nine and shoot about a 21" draw. I think they both go to 24". Everyone says Atomic threads are junk but mine had customs on it and the stock Ice threads seem just fine to me. I just got the Atomic Ice last night and had my 4 and 5 years old nephews shooting it with fingers. The atomic looks a little sleeker but I can't imagine there is any real benefit to one over the other. I would pick up the first good deal as these get gobbled up fast. Maybe pick up one of each to try and sell the other. They sell like hot cakes here if they are priced 150 or below! You might try to snag one with a release and or arrows because that is another 20 to 40 bucks.
Oh and both have yokes at both ends.
At the weights that the Atomic is pulling, I doubt cast vs. machined makes much of a difference, but c'mon, why cheapen the product? So it looks like I might want to find a Nuclear Ice instead...

Of course, if he can pull 15#, I might be able to swing a used Craze that is at the local archery shop. My concern is that the grip will be too big/thick for a 9y.o. hand.

wacker stacker
July 27th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Atomic riser is fine and it is a great bow. If you look at the original prices the Ice was over 300 bucks I think and the Atomic is 199. I think it is part of making a youth bows more affordable. By the time you get to the point where the kid can shoot max poundage they will probably move into a bigger sized bow anyway. Don't be afraid of the Atomic it is a pretty slick rig.

roosclan
July 27th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Atomic riser is fine and it is a great bow. If you look at the original prices the Ice was over 300 bucks I think and the Atomic is 199. I think it is part of making a youth bows more affordable. By the time you get to the point where the kid can shoot max poundage they will probably move into a bigger sized bow anyway. Don't be afraid of the Atomic it is a pretty slick rig.
The Razor Edge bow package I got my 3rd son was ~$350, so I doubt that the Nuclear Ice was sold as a $300 bow. Old archived web pages I'm finding have the Nuclear Ice package selling for $200 or less. So, they're selling a more cheaply made bow for the same price. Makes me think more and more I should find a used NI instead.

wacker stacker
July 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I am pretty sure they were well over 300 bucks when they first came out. The Atomic at 200 bucks could have drove the current price down some. I really didn't start looking at them until last year so............. I am no authority but they were like $350 on Ebay. As a stickler for a good product and an owner of both I wouldn't be afraid of either. Just my honest opinion. Which ever you get I am sure the kiddies will be thrilled. My nieces and nephews go nuts over the two I bought!

WCork
July 29th, 2013, 11:55 AM
The Atomic is a nice bow IMO when found for about $150 or so like wacker stacker said. I picked one up with custom strings on it and all the accessories for $150 here in the classifieds. My daughter is 6 but it fits her great with tons of adjustment. For a 9 year old I might look harder at getting a bow like the mission craze if he can handle it.

roosclan
July 29th, 2013, 01:01 PM
The Atomic is a nice bow IMO when found for about $150 or so like wacker stacker said. I picked one up with custom strings on it and all the accessories for $150 here in the classifieds. My daughter is 6 but it fits her great with tons of adjustment. For a 9 year old I might look harder at getting a bow like the mission craze if he can handle it.
We looked at a used Craze in good condition for $275 (rest, sight, quiver, arrows, stab, sling), but it starts at 15# of DW, and he can only pull about 10#. He also had trouble holding the bow up with sight and rest on it, saying it was too heavy. He's slightly tall for turning 9y.o. next Sunday, but not that strong.