PDA

View Full Version : Best Outlaw Upgrades

Glenn58
August 28th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Well after shooting a Mathews MQ32 for many years I decided to grab a new bow. After looking around it came down to an Outlaw or the Bowtech Assassin. The Outlaw won out.

Right out of the gate I changed the peep to a bungee style. Didn't have an issue with position while testing the bow but just didn't want to take a chance trusting a factory string. Next I installed a couple Monkey Tails I had hanging around. Changed out the cable slide to a Saunders Hyper Glide. The draw definitely feels smoother. It's a cheap and simple mod to install. Changed to an S-Coil Limbsaver stabilizer and added Limbsaver limb dampeners.

Read a few concerns regarding the draw stop damaging the string so I decided to install 3 pieces of shrink tubing to provide a cushion for the string. After a few hundred shots there is no wear on the serving at all. We'll keep an eye on his and see what happens

But the REAL upgrade was a new rest. I knew I wanted a fall away and started to read reviews. I narrowed it down to a QAD, Ripcord and Apache Micro. I decided on the NAP Camo Apache Micro. I had a NAP 3000 Micro on the MQ and never had any issues over the years so I decided to stick with NAP. WOW what an improvement over the factory Octane. Very straight forward to install. Took a few hours to set it up including paper tuning. Talk about consistency...3rd time out with it I had my second "Robin Hood" (first with this bow) from 30 yards out.

This bow is a KEEPER!!!

KenMorse
August 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Nice looking bow! I have the NAP Apache too, works very well.

RNMike
August 28th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Nice rig friend, I love mine. I am a noob, and I bought it from a friend who was buying a Prime. My Outlaw is a 2013, but made early in the year. It had the old idler wheel on it that is much narrower, and with a shallower groove than the newer one. I had my shop contact Diamond and they replaced it for free. I had de-railed it 2 times in as many weeks. As I said, I'm a noob, and I am working on my form. I haven't had a problem since replacing the wheel. I also replaced the Octand rest, but I went with a Ripcord. I love it. I need to check out the Saunders Hyper Glide, did it really make a big difference? The only other thing I have changed is the grips. I replaced them with a set made by Rattler Grips out of water buffalo horn. They are sweet!

RNMike
August 28th, 2013, 11:29 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/29/any3aba2.jpg
Here's a pic of the grips. They are sweet. Rattler does awesome work, well worth a few bucks!

Glenn58
August 29th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Nice rig friend, I love mine. I am a noob, and I bought it from a friend who was buying a Prime. My Outlaw is a 2013, but made early in the year. It had the old idler wheel on it that is much narrower, and with a shallower groove than the newer one. I had my shop contact Diamond and they replaced it for free. I had de-railed it 2 times in as many weeks. As I said, I'm a noob, and I am working on my form. I haven't had a problem since replacing the wheel. I also replaced the Octand rest, but I went with a Ripcord. I love it. I need to check out the Saunders Hyper Glide, did it really make a big difference? The only other thing I have changed is the grips. I replaced them with a set made by Rattler Grips out of water buffalo horn. They are sweet!

Those grips look really nice! Prices are very reasonable too. At $20 the Hyper Glide is a good investment. Definitely a smoother draw.
Can you post a close up picture of your new idler wheel? I'd be interested in seeing how the cable sits in it. I just bought mine and the idler is pretty narrow compared to my MQ32. Cable definitely sits higher than the top of the idler. Have shot a number of times with it and haven't had a problem...but really don't want to derail the thing!!! I really like this bow...it's fast, quite and deadly accurate!

RNMike
August 29th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Here you go friend. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/30/e7ytynup.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/30/5a9ade9a.jpg
See how wide & deep that sucker is compared to yours. It's a big change.

Glenn58
August 29th, 2013, 01:35 PM
See how wide & deep that sucker is compared to yours. It's a big change.[/QUOTE]

Yea that is a lot deeper!!!
I'll be calling Bowtech/Diamond.
Thank you very much!

RNMike
August 29th, 2013, 01:47 PM
No sweat friend!

msgtdan
August 31st, 2013, 06:40 PM
I've thought about adding heat shrink to my draw stop, I've re-served that end of the cable once already from the serving separating. Does seem to be a problem area.

diesel305
August 31st, 2013, 06:54 PM
Bombard archery makes a draw stop for the outlaw. I'm going to put a couple layers of heat shrink before I consider bombards draw stop.. Bomars draw stop has worked well for people

diesel305
August 31st, 2013, 06:55 PM
Bomar not bombard.. Stupid ipad lol