Archery Talk Forum banner

Help with spine selection for friends bow

482 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SonnyThomas 
#1 ·
I am trying to help a friend get upgraded from a very old bow. We have purchased an Elite Answer. It is set a 54# at 28". We have a Code Red drop away on it.

He wants to shoot a 100g head, as he already has some to hunt with. We are trying to determine what spine class and what length shaft to go with.

I took a Gold Tip 3555 (500 deflection), cut 27.25" carbon to carbon, with a 100g point, and it shot a bare shaft pretty well at 20 yds. I did not shoot groups, etc. I just shot the bare shaft with a release to see what it did. It seemed fine to me.

However, the local shop tells him it should be to weak, and that he needs a 400 deflection. They very well could be correct, but I have not had very good experience with this sort of thing at the local shops. They seem to pretty much just guess at the deflection, cut it off, and sell it.

That said, can you guys give me some feedback. Does it sound like the 500 would be too weak? If so, can you suggest a starting point for a 400 in length with the 100g point?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mitchell

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you.

#5 ·
OK, I'll be the one to disagree here. Maybe a 400 would fly OK, probably would, but you already shot a bare shaft and it shot fine--500 spine right? Shooting results are what matters, not opinions or arrow charts. From here I would try shooting a fletched 500 with broadheads and see what kind of flight and POI you get. Then make a decision based on shooting results.

#6 ·
Like bfisher, shooting results matter. The only thing I'd be wary of would be being too light of a arrow. Perhaps the 400 spine left long would prove the better. 400 length would be that placing the field point or broadhead just beyond the riser at full draw - finger clearance distance at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.