PDA

View Full Version : ?'s on Diamond Atomic

JDouglas
September 30th, 2013, 07:11 PM
My 6 year old son got an Atomic for his birthday. I noticed that the cable that splits and goes to each side of the cam is different on one side vs the other. Half of the cable that hooks to one side of the cam has several twists while the 1/2 cable on the other side doesn't appear to have any twists. Is this correct? It was set up by Bass Pro shop.

olt66
October 2nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
I saw this when you posted it a few days ago and was hoping someone with more technical knowledge would answer. Our daughter has an Atomic and I've had it completely broken down a few times and have managed to get it back together and shooting very well. The good thing about the Atomic is that you can do everything without a bow press. I'm no authority, so take his for what it's worth... not much.

The 1st thing I would do is download the owner's manual from Diamond. Here's a link: http://www.bowtecharchery.com/admin/project/uploads/OM_Youth2_webDMD13.pdf Atomic's manual starts on pg.7. Take a measurement from center of axle pin to center of axle pin. It should be 24". If long or short, you can add or take out a half of a twist per cable at a time to achieve the 24" ATA. The cable split being untwisted may be giving the bow a cam lean to the twisted side. This can cause the bow's string to jump out of the cam's groove while your son is drawing it back. Here's where you may need three hands or have someone help you hold on to the bow... take a yard stick and lay it across the side of the limb. Measure the distance from the yardstick to the cam. Do the same on the other side and this will tell you if your cam is leaning. Check the whole bow the same way. If leaning just remove whatever side is out and twist or untwist a half turn at a time until it is centered up. Cam lean may effect and overall cable lengths will effect the cam timing. On the side of the cam are cam timing marks. See pg.7 of manual for an illustration. I have a large nail driven into a stud above my work bench. I use that nail to grab the D loop on her string and then I pull down on the bow to both check that the cam stops are hitting the cables at the same time (timing) and/or to rotate her cam just enough to slide a Sharpie marker thru the openings on the cam. I then let up on the bow and the sharpie acts as a stop against the limb allowing me to remove the cable or string as needed. I listed the string and cables specs below.

I did a lot of internet research prior to getting the Atomic for our daughter. One comment that kept coming out was how terrible the stock strings and cables were. I decided to have a custom set made prior to taking delivery of her bow. At that time, the bow was backordered so I had a little time to get them made. I took delivery at Lancaster Archery's showroom where we unpackaged the stock bow and had the tech remove and replace the stock threads with the set I had built by Twisted Archer (member here on AT). He then set up the bow and had her shooting in their range.

You could always return it to Bass Pro for a check up. Just be armed with knowledge before you go. An educated consumer usually has the upper hand if they are challenged by a unknowledgeable tech. I've heard some negative things about archery departments in "big box" stores like Bass Pro. I've never tried them and never will. It may cost you a few bucks but you may want to find a true archery pro shop for your future archery needs. Personally, I enjoy the fact that I can now tear down our kids' bow without having to rely on a shop. It's not hard when you have a community like AT to bounce things off of...

Diamond Atomic:
String: 42 1/16"
Cables: 26 1/8"

kerrye
October 2nd, 2013, 08:43 PM
" I've heard some negative things about archery departments in "big box" stores like Bass Pro."

I too, have heard this statement before and would like to set the record straight. I've dealt with three different techs in the Bass Pro main store in Springfield, MO in the last year and all three were knowledgeable, quick to understand a problem and accurate with their work. I bought my Infinite Edge at another big box that basically, has no tech dept. (At the time Bass Pro couldn't keep the Infinite Edge in stock) They told me that every one that came in, left the same day. The fact that I did not buy from Bass Pro has had no effect on how they have taken care of my needs. So, Kudos to BP.

Huntinsker
October 2nd, 2013, 08:56 PM
The uneven twist you are referring to is there by design. It is because the left side yoke leg is farther from the cable slide so it has to be longer than the right. The only way to make it longer and the right shorter is to add twist to the right side. That pulls the axle down on the right so it's more even. If they were the same length, you cams would look like this \ when you draw the bow.

On a side note, never let someone tell you to stay away from a convenient shop just because it's a "big box" store. I can't tell you the number of bows that I've fixed that came from "pro" shops that have been absolute disasters. The pro isn't in the name, it's in the people working there.

olt66
October 2nd, 2013, 10:41 PM
" I've heard some negative things about archery departments in "big box" stores like Bass Pro."

I too, have heard this statement before and would like to set the record straight. I've dealt with three different techs in the Bass Pro main store in Springfield, MO in the last year and all three were knowledgeable, quick to understand a problem and accurate with their work. I bought my Infinite Edge at another big box that basically, has no tech dept. (At the time Bass Pro couldn't keep the Infinite Edge in stock) They told me that every one that came in, left the same day. The fact that I did not buy from Bass Pro has had no effect on how they have taken care of my needs. So, Kudos to BP.

The uneven twist you are referring to is there by design. It is because the left side yoke leg is farther from the cable slide so it has to be longer than the right. The only way to make it longer and the right shorter is to add twist to the right side. That pulls the axle down on the right so it's more even. If they were the same length, you cams would look like this \ when you draw the bow.

On a side note, never let someone tell you to stay away from a convenient shop just because it's a "big box" store. I can't tell you the number of bows that I've fixed that came from "pro" shops that have been absolute disasters. The pro isn't in the name, it's in the people working there.

See that^^ I warned ya my reply was not up to par...

I saw this when you posted it a few days ago and was hoping someone with more technical knowledge would answer. I'm no authority, so take his for what it's worth... not much.

deerjitsu
October 2nd, 2013, 11:01 PM
I think when it comes to big box stores, individual results vary. The Dick's here in Sterling has a fella named Ralph and he's awesome. He'll do everything you need PROPERLY, and talk to you the entire time. He doesn't try to push on you products. Gives you advice and sends you out the door happy. I've been to "Pro" shops where I've felt more like a hindrance than a customer. I went in wanting to by a specific item and they've pushing their personal choice on me. If you live in the Sterling VA area go check him out for your needs.

JDouglas
October 4th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all helpful replies. The cams are nice and straight so the twists are fine as stated above. Sorry if my question seemed dumb but I am new to bows. After reading the directions I was able to change the draw length to 18" to fit my son. The bow tech at Bass Pro had him shoot in the store and kept turning the poundage lower until it was at 8 pounds. The bolts were almost all the way out and you could see daylight through the indicator holes. I switched the cables to the B location by following the directions and was able to screw the bolts back in and maintain the lower weight. Then I noticed the timing was off a bit and I was able to fix this by adjusting the twists on the cables. I had my son shoot it and increased the weight to 11 pounds and he was still shooting comfortably. I took it in to Fin and Feather and had them redo the D Loop because the one from Bass Pro was too small for the release my son uses and also to remove the little brass ring at the knocking point that is not needed. The bow tech adjusted the center shot and I had him shoot it through paper. It made a clean bullet hole. We were both kinda surprised by this. I then had the tech sight it in at 10 yards since I'm a lefty and he was shooting pretty tight groups. This is a great bow for a beginner and I feel lucky to have found such a great bow for my boy. He really loves it.

exrider84
October 9th, 2013, 08:23 PM
like said before, they are great little bows. I bought one for my daughter last year and she loves it. the best thing that you can do for it is to get a set of quality strings. I too bought a set from twisted archer. If you decide to replace them it would be a good time to tear it down and lube the cams since there is no bearings in the little cams. hope I have helped you out a little. but a string and cable will go a long way on the atomic.