PDA

View Full Version : I Messed Up!

Griz
October 13th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Hi Everyone! This is my first post on here and I thought I would share something with you.

Yesterday evening I saw 12 does 5 small bucks and 1 - 8 pointer I should have pulled back on. He was a main frame 8. He had about a 17 inch inside spread. I am thinking that the buck would have been a 4 year old. But another reason why I didn't shootis because I have seen a 14 pointer in the area. He has about a 24 to 25 inch inside spread and I believe he is a 6 or 6 1/2 tear old.

What would you do. Would you have taken the 8 pointer or would you have waited to see if the man was going to come through ?

Thanks......

Missbyalongshot
October 13th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Depends on how much time you have left in your season? How often have you seen the 14 pointer if you only have seen him once more and likely you want see him again.How much huntin pressure is the land that your hunting getting is there alot of hunters in the area or you alone.The 8pointer if this deer is truly 18 inch spread and gave me a good broad side shot i would of taken the shot.My experience in the woods has told me that if you get any good buck in range take the shot.Have set all year waiting on that one buck and passing on bucks and never getting the shot.Which in turn means a end of the year tag holder.My self i believe just my opinon you should of taken the shot.Hope you get a chance at the big one and keep at it,it will happen someday.good luck

tmarch
October 13th, 2002, 11:48 AM
In most places the only way to get a big one is to pass the small ones. That is unless you can get multiple tags.

jeremiahjacobs
October 13th, 2002, 04:17 PM
If you are trophy hunter then you did the right thing. I on the other hand probably would not have even seen the 8 pointer because I would have shot the first full grown 2 year old deer that I saw.

paloosa41
October 13th, 2002, 11:21 PM
down here in ms. the bag limit on bucks are one per day, not to exceed three per license year.and does one per day not to exceed 5 per year. i more than likely would have shot the 8 point and tryed for the 14 another day but i'm realy not a trophy hunter and that has a lot to do with weather you let them walk or not!!!{your friend in the woods}irwin

Snuffer
October 15th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Depends on how many 8pts. you have gotten before. Around here a 6pt. or 8pt. bucks are 1 1/2 old. Most don't make it to 2yrs. Up untill the last couple of years I was taking them. Now I let them walk. What ever feels good is right.;)

hawgdawg
October 16th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. Take the shot.

GregE
October 16th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Establish your goals and limitations before you go and stick with them. I know you enjoyed your close encounter- don't let second guessing cloud that memory.

Mikie Day
October 21st, 2002, 02:32 PM
Man what a tuff decision ::::: I would have probaly waited-it is still early in the season. ????hard to say 100%

Good luck.

Hey is this the same Griz from the PSE message board??

Griz
October 21st, 2002, 07:45 PM
Sorry everyone for not getting back to you. I have been pretty busy and also have my mind into hunting.

Well I failed to tell you that here in Oklahoma you are aload during bow season 4 deer which 2 of them can only be bucks. Since I had first posted the buck movement was really slow. Now things here are starting to pick up. In one area where I have a stand at the 14 pointer has a rub line not more then 12 yards from my stand. These where not there a week ago. So I am glad I past up the 8 pointer for a shot at him.

Mikie Day, No I'm not the Griz on the PSE board. But thanks! How ever I am on Realtree Forums.:)

Daniel Boone
October 21st, 2002, 08:39 PM
Hey buddy it only gets better and that big boys days are number if someone doesnt smoke him in primative. You have plenty of time and who knows what else may slipp in during rut. Wish I was seeing that many bucks. This coming weekend the activity should be good! Cant shoot the big ones if you dont pass on the smaller bucks. Stick one of those hogs with that bow!

mudhutch
November 7th, 2002, 07:57 PM
I would have taken the eight pointer. "A bird in hand......two in the bush."