PDA

View Full Version : 3-10 hp outbord needed

djscott
August 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Talk about entry level. I got myself a 10' flat bottom jon. Its not as stable as I'd like but it will have to do for now. I did manage to take 5 carp the first evening I had it out using a trolling motor. I'd now like to put a small inexspensive outboard on it. Let me know if you can help me out.
I know,I know, 10 foot!! but ya gotta start somwhere.

f1maxis
August 5th, 2005, 01:54 PM
PM sent about an outboard...

Sawmiller
August 6th, 2005, 12:00 AM
djscott,
Did you take that little boat out on the Maumee?
Sawmiller

djscott
August 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Sawmiller, you bet I did. Only for about 150 yds before I turned into North Turkeyfoot Creek. Its about 20'wide and 3-4'deep, Thats when I went up stream and ran into the carp feeding. Theres no way I'm going out in the middle of the river with it, darn skiers would capsize me. lol. I'll just stay to the edge until I get to the back waters and creeks. I'm still looking for a small outboard, I dont feel very confident in the trolling moter having enough juice to get me home. :smile:

Jr. bowman MI
August 6th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I only have a 12ft Semi V. We just us a trolling motor cause the outboard will weight us down. I take 2 people out, me and my partner. 1 paddles in the shallows. and one is in the bow shooting. Josh

djscott
August 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I figured if you added the weight of the battery and trolling motor you would be close to the weight of a small outboard anyway. I can weld aluminum so making a set of floatboxes for the back would be a peice of cake, if the weight got to much. I'll be alone most of the time so it should'nt get to heavy.

Jr. bowman MI
August 6th, 2005, 03:06 PM
We use a car battery and it will troll us around for as long as we want. Good old minn kota with like 24 lbs thrust. We have extensions for the battery so the weight will be in the middle instead of the back. Josh I just picked up a 2 stroke 2 horse evinrude at a garage sale for 20 bucks and runs forever. Just a bit of oil and gas and VROOM.... Going to use it for our waterfowl adventures.... Good luck and stick some carp for me man... PS did you ever get those big carp from that pond?

djscott
August 7th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Find anouther deal like you got and let me know.Its almost comical, this little 10' er. But I'm telling you, It works great for the little creeks that you could'nt get a bigger boat in.
As far as the two carps in the pond, They have continued to survive, They are the shyish fish I have ever seen ...nothing works. I did find out the the home owner used to shoot at them with a 22. That would explain why they stay clear of any human activity.But I'm not giving up, even if I have to suit up in a Gillie suit and act like a bush. I'll get them one way or anouther.
Dallas.

djscott
August 12th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I did manage to land my hands on a 9.5 Johnson short shaft.
Thanks guys.
Dallas