PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a better grip handle for the Diamond Core

M80
December 6th, 2013, 02:38 AM
I really like this bow. In fact I bought two of them. But the handle stinks. Anybody know of a good alternative?? Thanx in adavance.

Glenn58
December 6th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I've been debating changing grips. Here's a link to a company I was considering...
http://www.torqueless.com/category_s/51.htm

Here's some good reading on grip styles...
http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/grip/

M80
December 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the links. I've been on the torqueless site before and seen those grips. I'm just afraid to order one because I'm not sure if I'll like it. The grip they picture I don't think is for the diamond core. I think it's just a random pic. So ordering something blindly isn't for me. Has anyone tried one of their grips on a Diamond core??? If so tell me about it.

The problem I have is right above the grip on the riser, there is a sharp edge right where your thumb bone touches the riser. IT KILLS! I can't believe they designed it like that. So I'm trying to get any other grip that will rid me of this problem. For now I've got a bunch of padding there.

kerrye
December 7th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Why don't you get someone to take a couple pix of your grip when you are experiencing this problem and sent them to "nutsandbolts". I can't conceive of any bony part of the thumb touching any part of the riser when you have a proper grip on the bow. In other words, perhaps the problem is not "the grip" but "your grip". Not a put down but maybe something you should explore.

RNMike
December 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM
i know Death Grip is now making grips for Diamonds. I have not used one, but they do look interesting i, myself, have a grip made by Rattler out of water buffalo. It's really pretty & feels great!

M80
December 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Here's what I mean. This is the edge on the riser and here is where it's making a painful pressure point. I dunno why the hell they practically put a spike on riser right where you put your hand. I plan on wrapping/taping it but if there is some aftermarket grip/handle out there that could remedy this problem, I'd like to hear about it.

M80
December 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM
It don't matter how I hold the bow. That corner edge digs right into my thumb bone. When I took a few shots to demo it, it was't bad. But after much shooting at home...... OUCH! I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Let this be a heads up to anyone else interested in this bow.

kerrye
December 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM
It don't matter how I hold the bow. That corner edge digs right into my thumb bone. When I took a few shots to demo it, it was't bad. But after much shooting at home...... OUCH! I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Let this be a heads up to anyone else interested in this bow.

"It don't matter how I hold the bow" This is your problem. You don't HOLD the bow. You get a wrist sling, let the grip settle into the fleshy part of your thumb and stop wrapping your fingers around the front of the grip. Look at this picture. The grip is seated back into the fleshy muscle of my thumb. I'm not "gripping" the bow. And if you want to shoot accurately, this is what your "grip" should look like. Closing your hand around the bow, there is NO way you can keep from torquing the bow.

kerrye
December 9th, 2013, 02:06 PM
In case you can't see past the gadgets, I'm shooting the same bow you have except it has two cams, in the Black Ops finish. I've been shooting it for eleven months at the rate of 30 to 50 arrows a day when the weather is decent. I started shooting in the late fifties, been at it for more than fifty years. The Infinite Edge is one of the best shooting bows for the money I have ever seen.

Glenn58
December 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I agree with kerrye as far as not "gripping" the bow as this will just lead to torque issues. The best way to prevent torquing the bow and having a repeatable grip is to use a "low wrist" grip. With this grip style the bow grip will be against the "fleshy" part of the thumb with the hand knuckles angled at 45 degrees. The finger tips of the first two or three fingers should lightly touch the front of the grip. Personally I have 3 touching and the pinky off the grip similar to the picture on the left below. As a general rule this is the most repeatable grip. A high wrist will require the proper angle on the riser or the grip in order for it to work with your hand placement repeatably.

The grip kerrye uses is a "high wrist" grip. If you notice his fingers are pointing out toward the target He mentioned he's been shooting for a number of years. The "high wrist", sometimes referred to as the "handshake" grip was a popular grip style for years. The idea was that less hand surface touching the grip would result in less torque. Not that there's anything wrong with it, a lot of people still use it. Today's school of thought is the low wrist is just more repeatable and as long as you don't wrap your fingers around the grip you won't have to worry about torque issues.

1825182 1825187

The machining of the shelf is different than on my Diamond Outlaw. The shelf on the riser is all contoured and the grip handle pretty much conforms to the riser. So I can see how the riser machining on your bow might potentially cause a problem. However there hasn't been a lot of discussion about it so maybe if you try adjusting your grip some the problem might go away.

It the machining edge is still bothering you, you can always take a Dremel tool and smooth that edge out. Obviously that might cause issues if you had a problem with the bow and needed warranty work as they could claim the bow was "altered".

You could also try putting some of this padding in that area. It might be a little hard to get it to conform but it cheap and worth a try. You can probably find this at Wal-Mart or BassPro as well.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Cir-Cut-Archery-Cir-Fleece-Pad&i=429341&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=343239333431

BigMamou
December 10th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I as well have the Core.... My main complaint other than the Hostage rest is the grip......In the market for a new grip as well!

M80
December 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Thanx for the attempts to help my fellow archers. My problem remains though. First of all, the pic I posted of me holding the bow were for illustration only. That is not how I hold up the bow when shooting. I was just trying to show in that pic how the the sharp edge on the riser lines up with my thumb bone. When the bow is drawn, my thumb bone is pressed up against that edge and of course my fingers are forward. I have tried different styles of holding (that's what I've always called it) the bow and that edge just gets me. I've applied the padded tapes already and it just aint enough. What it needs is seriouse customization or simply another grip. I was kinda hoping someone had another grip on their core and could tell me about it. I've been shooting for decades as well and am not new to shooting. Thanx for the help though.

Glenn58
December 12th, 2013, 12:16 PM
If it was me...I'd just take a Dremel with a sanding wheel and call it a day! All you want to remove is that thin edge.

M80
December 12th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah I'm thinkin about doin that. But If I do, it will ruin the warranty and it's value.

M80
December 12th, 2013, 05:34 PM
You know what I was wondering????? Isn't the riser on the core an obsolete bowtech model? If so, then maybe I could try the handle from that bowtech model to see if it's any better. Does anybody know what that bowtech model was?

Glenn58
December 12th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Hey M80,

You could try bringing the bow to a Bowtech dealer and see if he could rework the area that's bothering you. See what they have to say. If nothing else you'll be documenting the issue with them. I think they'd try to make it right. If not then you're no worse off then you are now.

Regardless of the Bowtech model, I don't think you're going to find a grip that will extend up high enough to cover the area that's bothering your thumb. If worse comes to worse I would just remove the edge. It's such a small area that needs to be rounded over. The chance that something will go wrong with the bow in the next few years is pretty slim so I wouldn't be too worried about the warranty. You'll probably end up wanting another bow in a few years anyways!!! Technology is always advancing and we all suffer from "Big Boy Toys" syndrome. I'm already anxious for what Bowtech will be introducing for 2014!!!

Good Luck!

M80
December 15th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Hey all.... Just thought I'd let everybody know that I took the chance and decided to order a grip from Torqueless grips for the core. I was really excited and was lookin forward to sharing the outcome with you all hoping to help someone else with the same problem. So I placed the order and a few hours later got a return email saying they don't make a grip for the core and issued a full refund. I just can't win! :sad:

BigMamou
December 17th, 2013, 06:58 AM
That Blows :(

Glenn58
December 17th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Just had a thought...
Try some "overgrip tape". I use it on my tennis racquets. It's cheap and you might be able to "build-up" that area high on the grip and taper down.
Cheap and worth a shot. You'll find it at any sporting goods store. Might be your bet bet. I've seen "target" guys use it on their bows.

It's also sold as "Archery Grip Tape" on Lancaster Archery for twice the money...
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bow-grip-tape-by-liam-grimwood.html