PDA

View Full Version : question on knife selection for skinning and gutting

sharpshooter
October 14th, 2002, 10:18 PM
was wondering what brand and type knife do you guys use for skinning and gutting does it stay sharpe and hold edge and does it sharpen easily

drhvac
October 14th, 2002, 10:34 PM
I Use a Browning F.D.T. (Field dressing tool). Works very well and is very very sharp.

spitfire
October 15th, 2002, 07:59 AM
I have always used a Buck Knife. They hold there edge great! Right now i carry a Buck Vanguard w/ the drop point, this is an awesome field dressing knife. Personally, i would'nt use anything but a Buck.

deadeye
October 15th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Boker ceramic drop point. 8 deer and as sharp to day as when I bought it.

RHINO
October 15th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Have to agree with spitfire. Been carrying a Buck Vanguard w/rubber grip for about 7 years, and if anything ever happens to it ... I'll be getting the same exact knife again. I've tried alot of different knives over the years, including some custom made ones, but when I head to the woods, the Vanguard always comes with me.

Good Hunting!
Rhino :cool:

4 Runner
October 15th, 2002, 03:06 PM
I like the Buck woodsman its small & light weight stays very sharp
It'll do any job you want it to other than cutting off the antlers.

*wk*
October 15th, 2002, 05:00 PM
I also use the Browning FDT 2 bladed model. Both blades lock independantly, one have a drop point blade with gut hook and the other has a mini saw. The mini saw works well for splitting the brisket and the pelvic bone so the drop point blade stays nice and sharp for gutting and skinning. They stay sharp well, I sharpen mine about every 10 deer or so.

jeremiahjacobs
October 15th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Make sure you buy one that has a gut hook on it. I started using one a couple of years ago and I would never go back to using a straight blade. You never have to worry about poking a hole in the intestines and if you keep it sharp you can open a deer up just like if it had a zipper on his belly. It is real easy to use.

clint
October 15th, 2002, 09:04 PM
take a look at the web site www.emmersonknives.com. He makes wonderful knives.They are expensive ,but well worth the money. i have carried a CQC7 FOR about 3 years.He makes all kinds of folders and fixed blade knives.

Jim Pruitte
October 15th, 2002, 10:04 PM
I have the Gerber "Exchange-a-blade" system. It comes with three blades. A drop point blade, a blade that has a gut hook, and Saw type blade.