PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Outlaw busy after hunting season!

Glenn58
February 9th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I really enjoy shooting and wanted to keep it going after hunting season. I'm fortunate to have a large basement with 56' clear so I can pretty much shoot whenever I like. But that gets old shooting by yourself, so I decided to join a weekly league shooting Vegas 3 spot. First two weeks have been handicap weeks and this Tuesday starts the real thing. I wasn't sure how the bow would workout seeing others with dedicated target setups. Well after shooting a 403 and 412 out of 450, I felt that I could do OK. I added a front stabilizer I made and used my hunting stabilizer as a back bar. So far it's feels much more balanced.

If you have the opportunity to shoot in a local league I highly recommend it. Everyone's been nice and the more experienced guys will give you pointers.

Here it is as it stands ready for competition!!! lol

Drewboy22
February 10th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Nice setup! Good Luck

deadduck357
February 10th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Great to hear your not afraid to shoot with the target bows.

Glenn58
February 10th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Great to hear your not afraid to shoot with the target bows.

The handicaps helps to balance things out. So far it's been fun and I'm thinking of looking at a longer ATA bow this fall. Something like a CPXL and Energy 35. Lots of talk about how well those bow hold on target. I'll keep the Outlaw as my hunting rig and use the longer ATA for 3D and spot.

darksidemxer
February 11th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Lol fun aint it. I love showing up with my lil diamond to big shoots. My wife is using her edge in freestyle while we build her faktor34. She got laughed at by a few till she clean house lol. Gotta remember, the equipment does help but its still up tothe shooter to get it right. Nice set up.

Glenn58
February 28th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Well it's been a few weeks into league now and having a good time with it. Been shooting between 136-144 out of 150 for each round.
Just decided to pick up a 4x lens for the HHA sight. Started practicing with it in the basement (57') and like it so far. It took a little getting use to because it does make the target "less" sharp, but not enough to bother with a clarifier.

If anyone is interested in printing their own targets download XPrint here...http://www.huntsvillearcheryclub.com/xprint.htm

You can define what type of target and how many spots. This one is a Vegas 3 spot. Seeing I printed to a 8.5 x 11 sheet it retained the correct target dimensions and just limited the outer rings. Nice for practicing!!!

Glenn58
March 2nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
Have a local 3D shoot next Sunday. Went out this morning for the first time since deer season ended. Just wanted to try shooting outdoors with the 4x lens...first 4 shots...25, 30, 35 and 40 yards. That should work for now. Needs a little rest adjustment for vertical.

No matter what...dead deer!

Donjr721
March 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I'm shooting my outlaw in the nationals next weekend. Used it last year as well. I had to shorten draw length a 1/2" and increase draw stop 1/2" so it won't yank me down at full draw. I tend to relax too much and creep. You get any where close to the break over on the outlaw and it's yanking you down. I love the outlaw. Fast and smooth. Deer slayer and my target bow.

Glenn58
March 10th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Made it out to the Tri-County 3D shoot at WANKINQUOH yesterday. It was a beautiful morning and they had a great turnout. Had a friend's daughter tag along for her first shoot...she had a ball.
They had a really nice 47 yard "Ice" target to end it!

She almost "Robin Hooded" my shot.

Her's bounced off the vitals!

Glenn58
March 14th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I'm shooting my outlaw in the nationals next weekend. Used it last year as well. I had to shorten draw length a 1/2" and increase draw stop 1/2" so it won't yank me down at full draw. I tend to relax too much and creep. You get any where close to the break over on the outlaw and it's yanking you down. I love the outlaw. Fast and smooth. Deer slayer and my target bow.

Yea...I have to agree with the "Yank Down"! With the aggressive cam it does not come off full draw gracefully.
But it really is a great bow.

I'll be shooting in my first Star FITA 18 Meter Indoor tournament tomorrow morning. I ordered some Black Eagle Magnum arrows and components from Lancaster, UPS shows them being delivered today. Will put them together tonight and test them in the basement. Will get there early and see how they perform.

Glenn58
March 16th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Well...pretty happy with the tournament yesterday. I couldn't use the "Magnums" as they are 4/64" too large for a FITA event.
Overall I has hoping to average '9s" for the 60 shots. Had a few miss shots ( 2-7s & 5-8s) in the first half and ended up with a 266. Came back and had a better 2nd half, shot a 276 for a total of 542. Two points over my goal so I guess I can't complain...but I always tell myself I could have done better!!!

It was a fun event and looking forward to next event.

Glenn58
March 19th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Well I went to shoot league last night and during the mid-point break I heard people clapping and looked over to see what was going on...they were handing out a few awards from the weekend tournament. It was a Friday/Saturday/Sunday event. So I'm just carrying on a conversation when I hear them say my name. Looks like I came in 1st in the Senior 50 Compound division.

Got me a fancy metal too! hahahaha

Glenn58
April 16th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Finished indoor league last night. There were 8 teams of 3 with us being team #8. The teams were based on the scores from the 2 handicap weeks. The 8 highest scores were team captains and the other shooters were divided amongst the 8 teams to keep the overall averages close. I had the 8th highest score so we were team #8. The top two teams from each half advanced to the finals. We were tied for 2nd in the first half (4 weeks) but were beat out by team #1. The tiebreaker was the number of "Xs". Team #1's captain was an awesome shooter. They had 121 Xs to our 67. We ended up coming in second in the second half outright so we advanced to the finals. In the finals our team ended up winning 3rd place, winning in a shootout. It ended up where we were tied with...guess who...team #1. So all 6 of us advance to the line to shoot one arrow. So Jason on team 1 nails his "X" as he usually does, and the other two members shoot 8s. We shoot an X and two 9s to win the tiebreaker for 3rd.

It was a blast and will be making this a routine thing. Been shooting 3D as well with some of the guys and girls from the league. Last Sunday there were 7 of us from league night...good bunch of guys and girls.

Now that league is over, I can get my new strings on the bow. Had been wanting to do this but DID NOT want to do it in the middle of league. Had a really nice BCY-X set made by Archeryshack here on the forum. Have everything ready and can't wait to get it all on and tuned! 3/16" G5 Peep and Bowjax String Silencers.