PDA

View Full Version : Infinite edge tuning

limpwrist
April 2nd, 2014, 02:21 AM
Recently bought the old lady an infinite edge, and she is shooting pretty well! And loving it.

When I got the bow from my local pro shop I immediately walked over to the peep sights. One of the owners told me that a regular style peep would not work in this bow due to the quality of strings and low poundage...sounded odd, but made sense I suppose. True or not?

Now I notice this bow has some pretty extreme cam lean on the bottom cam at full draw, maybe not ideal for true arrow flight? Any experience tuning this bow to perfection with a drop away rest at lower #, say 40-50?

I love supporting the local shop but the last few visits have me questioning their knowledge on a few subjects...so please fill me in, everything you know about tuning this bow, and how well you got it shooting fixed heads.

By the way, the wife is hitting the gym with me, building strength. She started at 25#two weeks ago which was probably a little too low, but really wanted to focus on her form first. Now she's up to around 35, and climbing.

Thanks in advance, all shared experience is greatly appreciated.

icemanls2
April 2nd, 2014, 02:54 AM
I bought one for my daughter and it had pretty bad cam lean on both top and bottom. I don't get into the cam lean game and I tune my bows the old school way aligning the string with the center of the riser. I tune with 0 cam lean at rest. Some say not to but I don't have any problems getting bullet holes through paper with bare shafts or fletched when I'm done. I also don't have clearance issues at all. As far as the peep, nothing special on hers. Some might choose a 37 degree peep vs a 45 degree (price is the same) http://www.specialtyarch.com/products-page/peeps/standard-peeps/standard-peeps-316/ with a shorter axle to axle length bow but I have shot the bow as well as my daughter and have no sight issues. I have used Specialty Archery peeps for about 20 yrs. A run of the mill off the shelf peep will work just fine.As for the Quality of the string, He doesn't know what he's talking about. Diamond uses Octane strings same as what is on the flagship Bowtech bows (same company owns Bowtech and Diamond) in case you were unaware. We shot the factory threads all winter and I'm making her a custom set this week but not due to wear on the factory ones. Hope this helps you. Happy shooting.
Diamond strings http://www.diamondarchery.com/m/pages/technologyBreakdown.php?i=3

If you look here they sell the Infinite edge with several options for a standard peep site. http://www.huntersfriend.com/2014_Diamond_Infinite_Edge_Pac kage/compound_bow_that_fits_everyon e.htm

limpwrist
April 2nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
Sounds like what I thought, thanks for your time sir. She can't stand the rubber tube peep, and I've never been a fan of them either. Its pretty close to zero lean at rest..
No drop away on your daughters bow yet?

limpwrist
April 3rd, 2014, 12:33 AM
Alright, got a 1/4" 45°peep in the bow today. Turned it up to around 60 to try and stretch the string as much as possible as I shot a good number of arrows through it. It eventually rotated a bit, I flipped some strands and its holding straight now. Seems to work perfectly.

Now for a drop away, any experience using one on this bow?

VORTEC429
April 3rd, 2014, 04:52 PM
My wifes bow had the Apache Micro Drop Away pretty easy to tune. She is pulling 40#

Huntinsker
April 3rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
I've had mixed results with tubeless peeps in the stock strings on that bow. Some are good enough quality that it'll work out and some, not so much. One thing you need to account for when deciding on a drop away for that bow is the less than solid back wall. The wall on that bow is splashy and has a lot of give to it when you get down below 50lbs and at some of the shorter DLs. The draw stops are too close the axle of the cams IMO so it allows the shooter a lot of leverage to over draw the bow.

Because of the ease at which you can over draw the bow, you need a rest that doesn't lock up to a capture position like the QADs, TR Revolutions or the Ripcord rests. If you over draw the bow while using one of those, you can throw off the timing and have fletching contact issues. So something like an apache would be a great option. Now if your wife doesn't over draw the bow, those other rests will work fine.

limpwrist
April 4th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Interesting..

Now, on the subject of draw stops, I notice these were far off, bottom touching, top over a quarter inch away from touching. I tried and tried, but could only get the cams very close, but not perfectly in time..

Solution?

deadduck357
April 4th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Interesting..

Now, on the subject of draw stops, I notice these were far off, bottom touching, top over a quarter inch away from touching. I tried and tried, but could only get the cams very close, but not perfectly in time..

Solution?

It took my pro shop guy a few times before he got them timed. Not sure all what he was doing cause he would put it on the press then to the draw machine and back again.

charlieB6886
April 4th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I got my wife one and the draw stops were the same way. I only had to add one full twist I believe and got it dead on. You probably just need to keep toying with it. I guess I got lucky. I did nothing to the yokes just synced the cams and it will shoot broad heads wonderfully for me and my wife.

limpwrist
April 5th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Alright so I got them synched, after a few shots it starts creeping back. Did this for a while, I give in! New strings on order, all issues should be fixed then. Thanks again for all the help

kerrye
April 5th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Interesting. The original equipment string and cables on my IE have been going for about sixteen months. Several thousand shots on them and no problems. Had the cams synched a couple months after I got it and that's all.

Bearpawx4
June 2nd, 2014, 01:43 PM
Old new topic. My wife has been shooting her IE now for 3-4 month's only set at 35#. Out of no where last night, she started flinging an arrow over the target when she was shooting reasonably tight groups out to 30 yards. She noted she now had an extra hump in the draw just about an inch or so before full draw, She also noticed the draw length was longer/ anchor point changed. I took a look at thing at rest, cams were tight and set the same, I pulled it back and felt that extra hump she mentioned, that I had not felt before when her bow was new. I then noticed, the strings stops were way off, near 1/2".
She brought it in today to Gander where we picked it up. Guy said it appears the string has stretched. He also noted the string was wearing bad on serving where it rounded the cam.
Said we can contact Diamond and deal with them, ie. wait for the outcome. Which sucks since she is in the middle of spring league.
I did ask about putting a few twist's in the string to help line up the stop's. He said the strings on the IE are not all that good of a string, and because of the wear that was going on, said to either wait and get new diamond supplied string, or get the vapor trails.
Or he could install some vapor trails and move on with it. I choose the latter for now.
I realize this is no top end bow, but com'on, not even a year old, or maxed out in poundage, and we're having issues with the string?

From other reads on this IE, it is sounding like we made a bad choice for her first bow.

Huntinsker
June 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Old new topic. My wife has been shooting her IE now for 3-4 month's only set at 35#. Out of no where last night, she started flinging an arrow over the target when she was shooting reasonably tight groups out to 30 yards. She noted she now had an extra hump in the draw just about an inch or so before full draw, She also noticed the draw length was longer/ anchor point changed. I took a look at thing at rest, cams were tight and set the same, I pulled it back and felt that extra hump she mentioned, that I had not felt before when her bow was new. I then noticed, the strings stops were way off, near 1/2".
She brought it in today to Gander where we picked it up. Guy said it appears the string has stretched. He also noted the string was wearing bad on serving where it rounded the cam.
Said we can contact Diamond and deal with them, ie. wait for the outcome. Which sucks since she is in the middle of spring league.
I did ask about putting a few twist's in the string to help line up the stop's. He said the strings on the IE are not all that good of a string, and because of the wear that was going on, said to either wait and get new diamond supplied string, or get the vapor trails.
Or he could install some vapor trails and move on with it. I choose the latter for now.
I realize this is no top end bow, but com'on, not even a year old, or maxed out in poundage, and we're having issues with the string?

From other reads on this IE, it is sounding like we made a bad choice for her first bow.

No the bow is good. The strings are the problem. Keeping a dual cam bow in time is critical to how it shoots. If the string/cables are not well made, keeping the timing can be difficult. A bad set of strings will make a good bow seem like crap. I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me how much better they like their bow with new threads on it.

Bearpawx4
June 2nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
Yeah I guess, just would think you would get at least one season out of even a factory set of strings. She only is shooting 2-3 times a week with maybe a max of 60 arrows at one day of shooting.
Kind of glad it happened during practice rather then at the league in the middle of shooting.
Grand daughter will sub for her ( she does very well with her Bear Apprentice II) and has had no issues with that bow which is 2 years old now, same strings set at 40#'s.