PDA

View Full Version : My DIY Outlaw Draw Stop

Glenn58
April 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I installed new strings today and did not want to use the existing draw stop pin as everyone knows it is a crappy design. I happened to be at Bass Pro last week and they had a few of the new Carbon Cures. The first thing I looked at was the draw pin. Well it's certainly anything but a pin...it was huge compared to what's on the Outlaw. I should have taken a picture of it. Anyways I had a number of small bolts hanging around and found the thread pitch on the cam for the pin to be a 10-24 thread. I had a few Allen head bolts that looked like a likely candidate. After measuring the length of the stock draw pin, it worked out the the head of the bolt with a #10 lock washer matched exactly.

I shorted the bolt on my metal bandsaw and smoothed out the edges on the grinder. The nice thing with the lock washer is there's never any worry about it coming loose.

I still added some Halo serving over the new Y-Cable where the draw stop makes contact. I did that with the original string with the factory draw stop pin as this prevented any serving separation.

Here's a few pictures with both installed so you can see the comparison between the two . After testing the new draw stop I did notice that I was not going into the valley as much as with the factory pin. I moved the Allen screw to the next position and it felt like it did before. The back wall feels more solid as the narrow pin was more prone to deflect the cable. Pushed a good 50-60 arrows down range in the backyard with it and it is shooting great out to 50 yards. Will be shooting some 3D tomorrow and will see how it does.

Huntinsker
April 19th, 2014, 09:58 PM
You may want to switch to a smooth head on that screw. If you can't find a smooth head screw, you could try shrink tube. Also know that you'll probably lose a little let off since the screw head is bigger.

Glenn58
April 20th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I actually tried putting some on but the ones I had on hand were either too large or too small. I placed some serving where the stops contacts the cable so I wasn't too concerned. After shooting 3D this morning I stopped at Home Depot and picked up some that fit.

Very happy with the new strings and stop. Shot a 256...can't complain.

msgtdan
April 29th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Excellent idea, I've been thinking of something similar for my fugitive, thanks.

Newdiggings
May 6th, 2014, 10:54 AM
He switched the screw to a diffrent hole, so no he wont lose letoff.

RedneckKajun
August 25th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I just put my Bomar stop back on but i can't shoot it until i my serving redone....for the 5th time, but the 1st time on this brand new set of 60x strings with about 100 shots on it. My draw stop doesn't cause near the serving separation that my draw length module. So i'm looking for a permanent fix. My proposed solution is to get another draw length module from diamond and install it in front of the other draw length module so the cable would continue on from the first module onto the second instead of making such a sharp break. What would be the downside?