PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with diamond infinite edge

taylola2010
August 14th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Brand new female Archer here :) Just got my diamond infinite edge this past week. Draw length 26" and weight 35lbs the package i bought came with Easton 29.5" arrows 340-350 spine with 100 grain field points. My friend helped me mess with the sight the other day and my top sight seems to be spot on for 10 yards so he thought if the top is sighted then just push the next two up below it. But my 20 yard seems to always be high and to the left. I have read many people say get a better sight and rest. Any suggestions that don't break the bank? Another question I have is what length arrows should I get (and spine) and should I just get regular broadheads for hunting at the weight I'm at? I read some people saying not to use mechanicals at lower weight? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I love my new bow and shooting every afternoon. Why did I just start? Where has this sport been all my life?! [emoji1]

YankeeRebel
August 14th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Brand new female Archer here :) Just got my diamond infinite edge this past week. Draw length 26" and weight 35lbs the package i bought came with Easton 29.5" arrows 340-350 spine with 100 grain field points. My friend helped me mess with the sight the other day and my top sight seems to be spot on for 10 yards so he thought if the top is sighted then just push the next two up below it. But my 20 yard seem to always be high and to the left. I have read many people say get a better sight and rest. Any suggestions that don't break the bank? Another question I have is what length arrows should I get (and spine) and should I just get regular broadheads for hunting at the weight I'm at? I read some people saying not to use mechanicals at lower weight? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I love my new bow and shooting every afternoon. Why did I just start? Where has this sport been all my life?! [emoji1]Hi taylola2010 and welcome to ArcheryTalk! I believe as a newbie the bow you mentioned will work fine. I would suggest taking it to your local bow shop and have them check and set your center shot and get you squared away with some better arrows. At that draw weight you are shooting you are leaning towards a 600 spine arrow. A reputable shop will assist you in the correct spine of arrow you will need, cut your arrows to length/fletched ect and even adjust your draw length on your bow to better fit you. As far as hunting most states require you need at least 40 lbs of draw weight to be legal so I would check that out in your state. As far as a broadhead I would go with a cut on contact Broadhead like a Rocket Ultimate Steel http://www.trophyridge.com/broadheads/ultimate-steel-broadhead . Enjoy your shooting and always feel free to ask questions. :thumb:

Here is a arrow spine chart from Bloodsport Arrows...... http://www.bloodsport.co/guide.html

taylola2010
August 14th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Thanks YankeeRebel until I can get to the shop I will keep practicing so I can increase my weight at least up to 40. Before I got the bow I went to a shop in my hometown and tried some out and they told me that 26" would be the right length for me. I would have bought it from them but they only had a left handed ie when I was there.

YankeeRebel
August 14th, 2014, 01:37 AM
Thanks YankeeRebel until I can get to the shop I will keep practicing so I can increase my weight at least up to 40. Before I got the bow I went to a shop in my hometown and tried some out and they told me that 26" would be the right length for me. I would have bought it from them but they only had a left handed ie when I was there.
You are welcome. Yes the more you shoot the more archery muscles you are gonna find. LOL. You will get stronger. Just be patient with your shooting and always have fun. When in doubt about anything just ask. The archery community will help you for the most part. Shoot em' Up! >>-------->12

Glenn58
August 14th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the world of archery!

I have a good friend who wanted to get into archery and picked up an IE. Great bow for the money. The sight that comes with it can be a little tricky to adjust because of the design. We did change the rest soon after he got it. It is the weakest link in my opinion. I installed a NAP Apache rest, adjusted center shot, paper tuned and walk-back tuned. After his first 3D shoot he knew he wanted another sight. I let him try my bow (Diamond Outlaw) and we ended up installed an HHA OL-5519. He's been to a few more 3D shoots and shot really well. He's very happy with the bow and loves the single pin...nice clean sight window.

As YankeeRebel said go to your local shop, hopefully it's a reputable one. Having the correct arrows (spine) and a properly tuned bow will make a big difference in your accuracy. If you have a friend who knows the sport and can go with you, it would help to make sure the shop is giving you sound advice. There are many threads here that have discussed "GOOD" and "BAD" shops/bow technicians.

Good luck and if you have any questions just post them and everyone here will help.

taylola2010
August 14th, 2014, 03:50 PM
What do yall think about a tool less sight? Looking at the Tru-glow xtreme 5-pin.

YankeeRebel
August 14th, 2014, 04:09 PM
What do yall think about a tool less sight? Looking at the Tru-glow xtreme 5-pin.
That' a pretty good sight. I use the Trophy Ridge Micro Alpha V5. http://www.trophyridge.com/bow-sights/micro-alpha-v5

taylola2010
August 14th, 2014, 05:01 PM
This might be ok on a budget?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TruGlo-Brite-Site-XTREME-5-Pin-029-Fiber-with-LED-Light-Archery-Sight-TG550XB-/281406639863?pt=LH_DefaultDoma in_0&hash=item4185248ef7

Glenn58
August 14th, 2014, 05:07 PM

Personally I would change the rest out first. The lower brush wear out pretty quickly on the Hostage Arrow Rest. There are a number of guys with IEs that have used the Apache and like it. It won't break the bank either. I have the "micro" version but it's really not worth the extra $$. I would start with the 3 pin you have set for 20, 30 and 40 yards. A 5 pin is just going to clutter things up and will be more confusing starting out. Easier to change out a sight than a rest!

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=NAP-Apache-Arrow-Rest-Black-RH&i=761980&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373631393830&gclid=CKam4o3Dk8ACFSbl7Aod72UA 0A

Thread on IE and fall away rests... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2155751

Getting the bow tuned with a good fall away rest and quality arrows would be the best thing you can do! JMHO

deadduck357
August 14th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Yes the stock sight sucks. We put the Apex Gear Accu-Strike sight on my daughters IE and she loves it. Very affordable.
http://www.apex-gear.com/archery-sights/accu-strike-series.asp?catid=14EF030088AA4 4CBAC06E6F08F4B71C1
http://www.apex-gear.com/images/AG1514BK_N.JPG

taylola2010
August 15th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I like that apex accu-strike. Not pricey either.

deadduck357
August 15th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I like that apex accu-strike. Not pricey either.

And it has a light that illuminates the pins. Very good sight for the buck.

taylola2010
August 16th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Went to my local pro shop ended up with the TRUGLO 4 Pin carbon xs it has a light too they didn't have the apex accu strike. Got a new peep sight to replace the tube that came off and some 500 spine carbon arrows cut to the length I need :)

taylola2010
August 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I love the sight. It's super easy to adjust with my tool. just gotta find the right batteries for the light. Ordered some off eBay. Hopefully they will fit. Bought some at Walmart today that didn't and returned them and then lost the $7 on the way out somehow lol oh well maybe somebody got lucky today that needed it.

deadduck357
August 17th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Went to my local pro shop ended up with the TRUGLO 4 Pin carbon xs it has a light too they didn't have the apex accu strike. Got a new peep sight to replace the tube that came off and some 500 spine carbon arrows cut to the length I need :)

The Carbon XS is a decent sight. It should work good with the IE. It comes with batteries. Did you just want extras?

TruGlo and Apex Gear are the same company. Just two different lines of products.

taylola2010
August 18th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Didn't come with batteries... Box was open must've took the batteries out for somebody else.

Archametes
September 5th, 2014, 04:23 PM
If sight window is an issue check out the Fire Wire sights by Trophy Ridge. They are super bright, can use a light, and has a lot of adjustable points for dialing it in.
On my previous Razor Edge, I had a QAD Drop Away rest and it worked very well. Do not go cheap and get the Hunter model, they suck. Spend the extra money and get at least the LD or HDX model.
The Infinite Edge is a great choice to start with and work your way up. As you grow as an Archer / Hunter the bow can be "grown" with you.
Good luck, and remember, NONE of us were born shooting Robin Hoods, it takes patience, practice, and knowing when to stop and breathe.

BigMamou
September 7th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I use the 4pin Tru Glo Carbon XS and I like it for the Core I shoot.

Easy to adjust. .. pins are bright.

The batteries I use that works are size 364 watch batteries I got from Walmart....compatible size to the SR621SW that USUALLY comes with the sight.

You can buy the light with adapters to fit your sight but the batteries are too big for the original button light.