Archery Talk Forum banner

Mechanicals vs. Fixed

991 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  slinger09 
#1 ·
This weekend I was up at our cabin pulling the boats out of the water for the season. :cry: The good news is that fall and hunting is here. :thumbs_up

Anyway, one of the great things about cabins is kicking back with a great book or magazine. This weekend I was reading a very refreshing article on broadhead choice. I say "refreshing" beacuse it was a perspective I had not considered before and IMHO very good advise.......so I thought I would share.

Basically, the jist of the article was that all broadheads will do their job when properly placed (No big surprise there :rolleyes: ). Instead of taking the angle that one type of head was better then another the author clearly stated through examples that smaller fixed heads like the NAP Cossfire, G5's etc. and mechanical heads are very deadly when put in the right hands. That is to say these type of heads should only be used by those "seasoned" and "experienced" archers / bowhunters......not your run of the mill beginner or part time bowhunter. The author suggested that beginners us a normal size (1.1875" - 1.25") cut on impact fixed broadhead for greater success.

This made a lot of sense to me rather then arguing which type of head is better or more effective. It put the ownership on the archer not the equipment and in my opinion that is very refreshing!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not trying to start a huge bashing here, but the flaw I see with that theory is a seasoned hunter is probably better at bow tuning. One of the benefits of mechanicals is they are less likely to wind plan out of a bow that isn't perfectly tuned. I have been bow hunting for close to twenty years and I still get frustrated with fixed blades impacting different from the field points. I can also remember the feeling I had when my broadheads hit four inches to the right of the field points.

I have been back and forth with issue and have shot both type of heads. My first go 'round with mechanicals were Rocket Sidewinders and had mixed results. I was in my twenties and pulling high poundage and shooting aluminums. Then, back to fixed blades and started shooting carbons. I'm now pulling 65lbs and shooting Axis 400's topped with Snypers and having fantastic results. A good mechanical can help a new person to bow hunting as long as the arrow hits the boiler room.

#4 ·
gees fancy that, any of them will work if the archer puts it where it belongs. Knew it all along think I've even posted that same info a few times.. as far as the small ones not for beginners, only a magazine writer would come up with that. beginners should use them because they are easier to tune than a larger one hence a beginner could be more accurate quicker. hence more sucess quicker. but hey believe the article if ya want to but I won't..

once your schooled in tuning use what ever ya want, but remember they only work if ya put where they belong.

maybe I should start writing magazine articles. doesn't sound to tuff.

#5 ·
Maybe you should start writing articles sounds like you got it all down. :wink:

You know being versed at "tuning" does imply that one is a seasoned archer....but what do I know.

Look....it was a good article and made some sense IMO. Like I said..... it put the ownership on the archer and not the equipment that is what I thought was refreshing. To each his own.....just thought I would share, :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I absolutely agree with him on the mechanicals....I cringe when I see a newbie with them.

Experienced archers on the other hand have repeatedly shown how wicked deadly that mechanicals can be.

Can't say as I understand his reasoning on the little fixed heads, but I am starting to hear some claim that losses are higher with those heads. Time will tell.

#10 ·
SlowBowInMO said:
I absolutely agree with him on the mechanicals....I cringe when I see a newbie with them.

Experienced archers on the other hand have repeatedly shown how wicked deadly that mechanicals can be.

Can't say as I understand his reasoning on the little fixed heads, but I am starting to hear some claim that losses are higher with those heads. Time will tell.

I agree as well.

#11 ·
Hunter Responsibility

I agree with the article in that the success rate or the performance of the individual broadhead must be placed on the hunter/archer. It's way too easy (especially for beginners) to lay blame on products which are believed to be inferior. Typically, the inferiority is on the part of the inexperienced but overly proud hunter/archer/woodsman who is incapable of excepting responsibility for either a poorly placed shot, dull blades or less-than-average tracking ability which sometimes results in a fatally wounded yet unrecovered game animal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.