PDA

View Full Version : barnett quad 400

basstrackerman
October 27th, 2005, 04:08 PM
i have the newer barnett quad 400 crossbow.it specs are 345 fps,122 ft lbs of energy at impact,15.5 in power stroke. almost everything is lifetime warranty.my brother and i compared his horton hunter 200lb draw bow and my barnett 150lb draw and the barnett won every time.his horton was 200 bucks more,he called about the warranty and they told him 3 years.but mine shoots bolts deeper into our target and i can hit my 10 inch by 10 inch target every time at 50 yards. i asked a rep at horton and they told me that the longer the power stroke the more energy the arrow will have in flight.mine shoots so strong it puts the bolt in past the feathers every time.his puts them in within 5 inches of the feathers.plus mine is 2 lbs lighter at 7lbs. most guys on here dont like barnett,but its sure fun to shoot! my bolts are 22 inches long too. his are 20. my last bow was a barnett thunderbolt and after about 20 years it still shot great.just wanted a new one is all.well have a great season and i hope everyone gets a dear.

BowTye
October 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
To be honest....this is the first time I have heard someone say anything good about Barnett. No offence.

Here's a test for ya... I painted a little circle on my target, a little big smaller than a softball. I can put 5 arrows, right inside that circle, almost every time. I might move a little bit on a shot here and there and put one just outside of the circle.

I shoot an Excalibur Pheonix, and an Excalibur Vixen, and if I went to any other company it would be Horton.

The way I see it, if the crossbow works for the shooter, than GREAT! That's all that matters! You're not gonna go blow off $1000 on a top brand crossbow if you can't shoot it well. But if you can shoot a $500-$600 crossbow well, then you're not gonna decide to buy the $1000 crossbow. I think that makes sense? :embarasse

Oh well, someone will get what I'm trying to say...

Anyways, good luck basstrackerman, I hope you have a great season! Keep us posted :teeth:

basstrackerman
October 27th, 2005, 07:49 PM
thanks for the comment.yes once i get better shooting and have some time under my belt i already plan on a excalibur. its just better to start out with something lower end with less cost involved just in case ya dont like it. i had an old barnett that i shot once in a while,no time due to job, and now since my job allows me time to play im ready to build my skill level up and hopefully get a better quality bow in the near future.

BowTye
October 27th, 2005, 11:45 PM
thanks for the comment.yes once i get better shooting and have some time under my belt i already plan on a excalibur. its just better to start out with something lower end with less cost involved just in case ya dont like it. i had an old barnett that i shot once in a while,no time due to job, and now since my job allows me time to play im ready to build my skill level up and hopefully get a better quality bow in the near future.

Yep, that's exactly it! Good luck! :smile: Let me know how it works out for you.

doegirl
October 28th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Equipment does not the hunter make. Deer aren't particular about what they're shot by. Be sure to post pics of your kills :thumbs_up Sounds like you have an absolute screamer of a bow.

BowTye
October 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Equipment does not the hunter make. Deer aren't particular about what they're shot by. Be sure to post pics of your kills :thumbs_up Sounds like you have an absolute screamer of a bow.

Equipement does not make the hunter... :wink:

basstrackerman
October 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM
well so far this bow has been on target. i havent missed the target yet. i read in here that barnetts hold up good, they just have an accuracy problem. i havent seen it yet.i also was watching them videos on the excalibur web site and saw where they said there bows will drop 24 inches at 40 yards!! mine dont. and drops 5-6 feet at 60 yards. wow mine dont drop that much. maybe i didnt watch it and understand what they were saying. if i did then why pay so much money for a bow that has such a drop at that distance? just curious. horton and excalibur states that the power stroke is what gives the bolt speed and power.ten point has a 11.5 in power stroke, that isnt much compared to some of the other brands.horton has a max of 13 3/4 in power stroke. barnett has a max of 16 inch.mine is 15.5. needless to say after my brother shot my quad 400 a dozen times he is not real happy with his horton hunter 200lb at all. we tried everything to get his bow to shoot like mine at 50 yards and it just wont. his is alot harder to pull the string back but shoots with less power??? i dont understand why.since im basically new to crossbow hunting is why im asking so many questions and trying to read as much as possible.if someone could fill me in as to why ten point and excalibur are top of the line when there specs dont show it i would love to know.thanks for helping a rookie out.

wickedandlazee
November 10th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I agree with you totally - i recently bought a barnett quad 400 too and started to get one or two people saying they were bad build quality etc ( strangely enough they were all excalibur users lol). However i have no problems with accuracy and as for the power its superb - i've had it go through targets before where others haven't.

No complaints so far - just can't wait to bag a deer with it.

ATB

captain happy
November 10th, 2005, 06:33 PM
its called quality.

sure power stroke is important for increasing speed without increasing draw weight, but it is worthless if your bow fails. Barnett is junk.

it looks good from afar but its far from good.

the only two bow i have seen that are any good are excalibur and ten point. ten points are just too expensive.only one way to go. Excalibur.

If you want speed its called Exomag

Blah
November 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM
It's not that the barnet quad 400 is a bad bow. In fact It's fast, easy to cock, and does not cost very much. However bows like Ten Point or Excalibur, which do cost more are lighter mass weight, and have a much much better trigger then the Barnett.

Also not all of the Barnett crossbows break down but Barnett does do a lot more repair work then other companies.

However like someone said above if the bow works for you that's all that matters.

good luck hunting!

basstrackerman
November 12th, 2005, 08:18 AM
well the trigger assembly did fail.and there customer service stinks.i sent it back and got a horton legend xt 175.

Revival
November 12th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Equipment does not the hunter make.

Very Yoda'esc if you ask me. :D

Jim C
November 12th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Very Yoda'esc if you ask me. :D

Wise You Are

dwhas3
November 13th, 2005, 08:57 AM
captain happy, it's an exomax not an exomag they don't make the exomag any more.
"dw"

captain happy
November 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM
it's an exomax not an exomag they don't make the exomag any more.

You are right. I always type the wrong thing because i am thinking of my Exomag.

It is kinnda hard when there are so many models that start with "Exo"

my exomag is no slow poke. just not as fast as the exomax.

shurite44
November 22nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
well the trigger assembly did fail.and there customer service stinks.i sent it back and got a horton legend xt 175.

Wow, that was a turn around.

My revolution is at the barnett repair facility right now. My fault though.

Looks like I am going to miss the best part of the season in Ohio. They say 3-4 week turn around.

basstrackerman
November 22nd, 2005, 09:07 PM
well horton will get your bow back in 48 hours guaranteed. barnett said 3-4 weeks or more. and they argued with me about a problem i had with the trigger.then they said to use a hammer and punch to separate the stock so the trigger would move more free.what a bunch of crap.was having alot of problems getting the trigger assembly to catch the string when you cock it.it just wouldnt catch.then it caught one day while i was on the phone with barnett customer service and as soon as i sat it on the table i was shooting from and started to load the arrow, it just went off!!! i told them what happened and he said to use cotton on the limbs to make sure they are ok and take it to a service place for a trigger replacement. service guy wanted no part of it and said to junk it,send it back.so i did.and i refused to wait about a month for another crappy bow.it shot hard and fast,but after a few shots it wouldnt shoot the same place twice.after i got my horton, the quality was night and day.barnett is not even close to horton or any other crossbow company.good luck with yours and enjoy the wait.

shurite44
November 22nd, 2005, 11:50 PM
I see you are from central Ohio, I am from Mansfield.

basstrackerman
November 23rd, 2005, 05:00 AM
yes from fredericktown

shurite44
November 23rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
I am thinking about selling my Barnett revolution when I get it back from the shop. I don't think you will find a harder hitting xbow than the revolution. It shoots fine but I was looking at Excalibur xbows at a shop and they are so much lighter. I think I may go with a exomax.

tomcat
November 25th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I am thinking about selling my Barnett revolution when I get it back from the shop. I don't think you will find a harder hitting xbow than the revolution. It shoots fine but I was looking at Excalibur xbows at a shop and they are so much lighter. I think I may go with a exomax.

You might want to rethink that choice to an Exocet 200....
Ohio has a 200lb max limit on crossbows, and Game wardens are familiar with the Exomax's 225lb draw.
Many people on the Excalibur website believe the Exocet 200 is the perfect balance between speed and accuracy.

tomcat
November 25th, 2005, 01:10 PM
well horton will get your bow back in 48 hours guaranteed. barnett said 3-4 weeks or more. and they argued with me about a problem i had with the trigger.then they said to use a hammer and punch to separate the stock so the trigger would move more free.what a bunch of crap.was having alot of problems getting the trigger assembly to catch the string when you cock it.it just wouldnt catch.then it caught one day while i was on the phone with barnett customer service and as soon as i sat it on the table i was shooting from and started to load the arrow, it just went off!!! i told them what happened and he said to use cotton on the limbs to make sure they are ok and take it to a service place for a trigger replacement. service guy wanted no part of it and said to junk it,send it back.so i did.and i refused to wait about a month for another crappy bow.it shot hard and fast,but after a few shots it wouldnt shoot the same place twice.after i got my horton, the quality was night and day.barnett is not even close to horton or any other crossbow company.good luck with yours and enjoy the wait.

Also I can attest to the 48hour turnaround time...Horton Customer service is pretty awesome, and they do stand behind thier stuff. I dropped mine off due to my own stupidity while assembling it, Horton had it back to me the very next day, called me promptly and told me to pick it up.They replaced the barrel, cables and checked it over. I must say the timing/synch was dead on, all bolts were tight and I was a happy camper that they fixed it at no cost to me even though I was prepared to pay as it was my fault.
I do not know anyone who has had a durability issue with a Horton or was dissatisfied.

shurite44
December 1st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Well I picked up my revolution yesterday, actually very good service. I think it was 7 days from the day I dropped it off at the sporting goods store until it was ready to be picked up. I cannot complain about that.

They gave me a new front assembly new cables, string, and limbs. :thumbs_up

I was thinking about selling it, but man this things shoots so hard and fast and it is very accurate. I believe I will hang on to it. :) 345 fps with a 475 grain arrow, that is cooking.

Wachtel
December 19th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I have a Barnett Revolution and find it to be very accurate and flat shooting. I've had it two years, probably one of their early production models. It was going through strings and I had a problem with elevation adjuster. I called Barnett two weeks before this last achery deer season, the tech told me on the original production models the prod had to much presure on the string and they had redesigned the sight mount. He said to send it back, I told him I was concerned about not having it back in time for the opener. The tech said they would have it out in 48 hours. So, I mailed it to Barnett on a Monday and had it back on that Friday. They had it less than 48 hours. They replaced the prods, cables, string and site mount without charge. It shoots great now.
I took my largest 8 point Buck this season with it. I'm in an 8 point rut, having taken five 8 pointers in the last four seasons. Two with the Revolution and three with a gun during our nine day gun season.

Hawaiisportsman
December 19th, 2005, 01:16 PM
It's kinda funny how the people who don't even shoot barnetts are the first ones to tell you about their crappy repair service and inaccuracyand blah blah blah:confused:

I have two barnetts, revoultion and revolution XS. I broke there scope mount on my XS ( I tightened too tight) sent it back all the way from Hawaii and got it back here in 7 days. They replaced the scope mount and trigger mech at no charge even though it was my fault.

Like someone else said it's ford, chevy or dodge thing:)

shurite44
December 19th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I have to agree with Hawaii on this one. Barnett does get a bad rap. Sure it is not as high quality as ten point or Excalibur but they also cost about half as much. I think it is safe to say they shoot harder than any other crossbow available. 345fps with a 22" 475 grain bolt.

basstrackerman
December 19th, 2005, 07:19 PM
well ive had a barnett.a quad 400.yes it shoots very hard,but dont hold up very good.had alot of problems with it.ive been on the phone with customer service and heard them arguing back and forth.i sent it back due to all the problems and bought a horton.now i was thinking the horton would be of similar quality.wrong. night and day difference.you can tell by looking at it and seeing the quality that its alot better than the barnett.it shoots alot quieter too.the parts are machined,not cast.and they are right here in ohio about an hour north of me.the revolution is the next step up,maybe alot better.now if i didnt have such a problem with customer service i would be shooting a revolution.i was gonna trade up for one.so what i did is called around to 3 or 4 of the most popular brands and talked with customer service about there products. the one i felt most comfortable with is horton.

Jim C
December 19th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I have to agree with Hawaii on this one. Barnett does get a bad rap. Sure it is not as high quality as ten point or Excalibur but they also cost about half as much. I think it is safe to say they shoot harder than any other crossbow available. 345fps with a 22" 475 grain bolt.

I have been around crossbows for 30+ years. Barnetts like the "Silver Knight" in the early 70's were one of the first commercially available xbows that weren't crap like the pathetic "Jayhawker" or Whamo "Powermaster" and didn't cost an arm and a leg like the superb Dave Benedict (If you know who Bob Markworth is-he endorsed and used the Benedict in his act-an act where someone could die if the xbow failed). However, Barnett became alot like Bear -the walmart brand. some of their bows are decent like the Rhino. The commando is a fun toy -especially if you put a light 100 pound prod on this self cocker.

that being said, barnett triggers fail more than any brand I know of. the star wars styling looks neat but the triggers usually suck. DO they shoot hard? yes. they often have good performance. I wouldn't hunt with one myself but plenty of people have had good luck with them