PDA

View Full Version : Filled buck tag.

twogun
October 31st, 2005, 12:14 PM
Sunday October 30, @ 1:00.

Excalibut Exomag, Gold Tip bolt, Wasp Hammer SST 100 gr. @ 16 yards.

I was in my stand at 5:30 am and didn't start seeing deer till around 9:00, and then it was steady action for the next four hours with 30 - 45 minute breaks here and there. I had two good 10 points that kept harassing eachother come in, but they stayed 40 - 60 yards away. They came through at 10:00 chasing a doe and came back around 12:00. The second time they stayed around for 45 minutes, and one bedded for a while. They stayed just outside my range, and everytime the bigger racked one would start moving my direction the other bigger bodied one would run him away. A doe eventually wondered by, and they both went after her making some of the god awfullest grunts I've ever heard. About an hour later this guy came in and bedded 16 yards from my stand, but he was head on toward me. I thought about a neck shot and decided against it, and then he stretched his head around and was licking his side. I put the crosshairs in the center of his neck a few inches below the skull, aimed 1 1/2 inches low, and let fly. The arrow made a hard "wack", and he went stiff, no tracking necessary.

twogun
October 31st, 2005, 06:37 PM
Here's one with the Exomag.

twogun
October 31st, 2005, 06:39 PM
.......and one in the truck.

Revival
November 1st, 2005, 07:46 PM
Awesome!

Congratulations! Good action description too.

willie
November 1st, 2005, 08:03 PM
A beauty buck.

My CONGRATULATIONS!!

BowTye
November 1st, 2005, 10:47 PM
Nice Buck! Congrats!!!!!

GottaBustaBuck
November 2nd, 2005, 12:22 PM
want too bust em. thums up!!! :thumbs_up

Orion6
November 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
Nice!

captain happy
November 8th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Sweet buck. It looks alot like mine from the second day of the season. 36 yards. I thought i missed him because he did not move. he looked around and 15 seconds later went down to his knees and then rooled over dead with his feet in the air. it was awesome. it scored 123. yours looks like it has a little more mass though and it is tough to judge from a picture.

did you score it?

Jim C
November 8th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Nice Buck Tim: makes me jealous that I can't hunt this fall after shoulder surgery: I can shoot either my compound hoyt or my excalibur (not quite ready to shoot my 45 pound hoyt gamemaster or 50 pound Rick Wray longbow) but the doc didn't think climbing tree stands or dragging a deer was really a good idea after September shoulder surgery

captain happy
November 8th, 2005, 09:07 AM
get a blind and have your friends drag your deer.

Jim C
November 8th, 2005, 09:40 AM
get a blind and have your friends drag your deer.

its a village law that you have to hunt from a stand at least 12 feet of the ground IIRC.

Revival
November 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
its a village law that you have to hunt from a stand at least 12 feet of the ground IIRC.

Huh? Find a different village! Some of my best hunts have been from the ground, and I'm constantly talking other people into dragging my deer out of the woods... :whip:

captain happy
November 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
what is IIRC?

maybe get a ladder stand?

when theres a will theres a way.

twogun
November 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Sweet buck. It looks alot like mine from the second day of the season. 36 yards. I thought i missed him because he did not move. he looked around and 15 seconds later went down to his knees and then rooled over dead with his feet in the air. it was awesome. it scored 123. yours looks like it has a little more mass though and it is tough to judge from a picture.

did you score it?

Post some pictures of your buck. I'd like to see it.

I think one of my most exciting hunts was on a deer I thought I missed. Mine didn't just stand there like yours. He started walking away, and I just laughed in disbelief. After about 30 yards, his front legs started to shake; he fell over; and let out a big sigh.

I came up with 126 +/- on mine.

Jim C,

I bet it is frustrating to have to miss the season. OTOH, Maybe you'll be healed up enough to freeze yourself in January :p Good luck.

captain happy
November 8th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I did not get any pictures. It was about 85 degrees the day I shot it and after butchering it I gave it to a friend that took the measurements and he is going to use it for his first mount at a class he is taking after the season.

I knew it looked close. the racks look the same but yours seems to carry the mass more.