PDA

View Full Version : Hey Okies " Deer are on the move"

Daniel Boone
November 18th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Had an excepational day yesturday and saw some good bucks.

Gun season they are going to sack them up. Cold weather is going to make this gun season a good one.

Many in my area are reporting seeing lots of deer moving the last few days.

Ill be in tree with gun and bow:tongue:

torque
November 18th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I let a little 5 point, chasing a doe, go right under me yesterday evening. I watched 6 go by at 7:15 this morning. 45 minutes later this one came by. He's far from a monster but I'm proud of him. He's the best I've taken in 20 years and the first buck in 3 years. I've been letting the 1 1/2 year olds go and haven't shot one in 3 years. This will make it easier. 155 lbs. on the hoof. Magnus Snuffer put a big hole in him.

chev17
November 18th, 2005, 03:59 PM
They are really moving! I saw 4 nice bucks this morning in 2 hours. they were chasing does all over the place. Unfortunatly nothing came in range. Headed back out this afternoon.

slinger09
November 18th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Definetly late rut and the rifle hunters are going to put the smackdown on them. They just better not miss me and the Xtec will be waiting if they do.

Daniel Boone
November 18th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I let a little 5 point, chasing a doe, go right under me yesterday evening. I watched 6 go by at 7:15 this morning. 45 minutes later this one came by. He's far from a monster but I'm proud of him. He's the best I've taken in 20 years and the first buck in 3 years. I've been letting the 1 1/2 year olds go and haven't shot one in 3 years. This will make it easier. 155 lbs. on the hoof. Magnus Snuffer put a big hole in him.

Oklahoma doesnt have monster bucks and thats a good buck anytime in Oklahoma. Congradulations.

Hemi
November 18th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I'm taking both in the woods, I shot a doe with my bow and couldnt find her.
So I'm putting it on anything with fur.

E1oufan
November 19th, 2005, 01:10 AM
yeah i've seen alot of movement the last few days, I shot a big 13 point Wednesday, but I hit high, blood trail ended, couldn't find anything, my uncle said that he'll make it maybe I'll see him in the morning. I'm taking my bow out tomorrow is it legal to take both gun and bow in the field here in Oklahoma

NorthTexasGuy
November 19th, 2005, 03:55 AM
:confused:
Oklahoma doesnt have monster bucks and thats a good buck anytime in Oklahoma. Congradulations.

I may be new to this forum, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have been deer hunting Oklahoma for the past 20 years, and have seen many bucks that give me antler envy. There may not be as many record book deer in Oklahoma woods as there are in Illinois or Kansas for instance, but the State record typical is 185 6/8 taken in my home county of Bryan. The state record non-typ is 248 6/8. I believe the Hanson buck is ~ 213", so the Luman buck isn't that far off the world record. By the way, the Luman buck was an archery kill.

I hunt public land exclusively, and I think the numbers are good enough that I will pass on the smaller bucks during the peak pre-rut for that chance at a trophy. This may be the only time of the hunting season the big boys show themselves during legal shooting hours. There's plenty of time before/after the peak to take does or small bucks to put meat in the freezer.

I'm not trying to knock Torque for his buck (congrats by the way). I took a 9 pt about the same size the first week of Nov. Just saying the monsters are out there. You just have to be at the right place at the right time :)

NorthTexasGuy
November 19th, 2005, 04:08 AM
OK, to get back to the original topic, I have been seeing more bucks than does in the past week. I saw five deer hit on the highway between Caney and Tushka while driving this week. There is only about 3-5 miles between these two towns.

Seems I never plan my vacation time at the peak. I always seem to miss it by a week. I think the peak is hitting later this year than last.

Daniel Boone
November 19th, 2005, 04:45 AM
yeah i've seen alot of movement the last few days, I shot a big 13 point Wednesday, but I hit high, blood trail ended, couldn't find anything, my uncle said that he'll make it maybe I'll see him in the morning. I'm taking my bow out tomorrow is it legal to take both gun and bow in the field here in Oklahoma

Game Warden told me it was legal.

Daniel Boone
November 19th, 2005, 04:46 AM
:confused:

I may be new to this forum, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have been deer hunting Oklahoma for the past 20 years, and have seen many bucks that give me antler envy. There may not be as many record book deer in Oklahoma woods as there are in Illinois or Kansas for instance, but the State record typical is 185 6/8 taken in my home county of Bryan. The state record non-typ is 248 6/8. I believe the Hanson buck is ~ 213", so the Luman buck isn't that far off the world record. By the way, the Luman buck was an archery kill.

I hunt public land exclusively, and I think the numbers are good enough that I will pass on the smaller bucks during the peak pre-rut for that chance at a trophy. This may be the only time of the hunting season the big boys show themselves during legal shooting hours. There's plenty of time before/after the peak to take does or small bucks to put meat in the freezer.

I'm not trying to knock Torque for his buck (congrats by the way). I took a 9 pt about the same size the first week of Nov. Just saying the monsters are out there. You just have to be at the right place at the right time :)

Nothing like the northern states for sure. :rolleyes: