PDA

View Full Version : Public Breast Feeding??????

Tax Lawyer
November 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Ii just got back from breakfast with my mom, grandmother and girlfriend.

As we were sitting down in IHOP, I see a woman with her child breast feeding right next to us. None of the ladies I was with was offended. Personally, I think it is extremely inconsiderate in a public place. I try not to even blow my nose at a table, let alone having a child nurse on an exposed breast.

Anyway, the ladies though I need to lighten up.

Am I alone on this?

ryanpalomba
November 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Dude! Your seeing a naked breast in public and your complaining??????

KYShooter
November 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Ya, yer alone. Whip em right out. I dont care.

clayking
November 27th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Heck, I'm all for it and I don't think a baby is needed either.................:tongue : ...................ck

RxBowhunter
November 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM
No problem with it here.

I did watch a woman at a Royals game a few years ago that went a bit overboard. She was seated right behind homeplate with her husband and two kids. One of her kids that looked to be around 2 1/2 or 3 years old would walk up to her and lift up her shirt and have a "snack", then unhook and walk around again. The lady just sat there with one or both bare breasts fully exposed for up to 5 or 10 minutes after each occurance, and there were many. Honestly she should have just completely removed her shirt as either way it was about the same. I didn't complain about it :confused: :tongue:
but I could see how it would have offended someone.

Walleye Joe
November 27th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Heck, I'm all for it and I don't think a baby is needed either.................:tongue : ...................ck

http://www.geocities.com/walleyejoe10/waycool.gif Clinky! http://www.geocities.com/walleyejoe10/waycool.gif

I'm with Clay

Raptor1954
November 27th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Depends on the breast. I prefer mine on the smaller side and nice and firm. Now if they were hanging down to her waist that is offensive!!

Selil
November 27th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Sorry, it's as natural as breathing, and unlike others not about sex either.

RecordKeeper
November 27th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Ditto. Good post, Selil:thumbs_up

2005Ultramag
November 27th, 2005, 04:29 PM
No problem with it here.

I did watch a woman at a Royals game a few years ago that went a bit overboard. She was seated right behind homeplate with her husband and two kids. One of her kids that looked to be around 2 1/2 or 3 years old would walk up to her and lift up her shirt and have a "snack", then unhook and walk around again. The lady just sat there with one or both bare breasts fully exposed for up to 5 or 10 minutes after each occurance, and there were many. Honestly she should have just completely removed her shirt as either way it was about the same. I didn't complain about it :confused: :tongue:
but I could see how it would have offended someone.

2 1/2 to 3 ?

You're kidding... RIGHT?

There's nothing natural about that! That woman has issues!

Walleye Joe
November 27th, 2005, 04:37 PM
27 yrs. ago I started working for a company that I'm still with. :thumbs_do Weeeelllll,....at the first company picnic I attended I was amazed to see a beautiful woman breastfeeding right there in front of God and everybody!.... it was the neatest thing I'd ever seen..... being only 19 yrs old at the time.:tongue: I remembered that moment and thought about that moment occasionally for the next 19 yrs!
Guess what.......

:)

:teeth:

:love:

:bounce:

....I married her 9 yrs ago!

BIGFATTY40
November 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I as brought up to think it was bad manners to eat in front of folks if there was not some for all.:tongue:

fredbear90
November 27th, 2005, 04:52 PM
yep exactly I see it all the time around here you get to were you just ignore it:)

fredbear90
November 27th, 2005, 04:53 PM
27 yrs. ago I started working for a company that I'm still with. :thumbs_do Weeeelllll,....at the first company picnic I attended I was amazed to see a beautiful woman breastfeeding right there in front of God and everybody!.... it was the neatest thing I'd ever seen..... being only 19 yrs old at the time.:tongue: I remembered that moment and thought about that moment occasionally for the next 19 yrs!
Guess what.......

:)

:teeth:

:love:

:bounce:

dude now thats a sweet story:thumbs_up

NY911
November 27th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Personally, I think it is extremely inconsiderate in a public place. I try not to even blow my nose at a table, let alone having a child nurse on an exposed breast.

:thumbs_do :thumbs_do :thumbs_do

Obviously, you are more than entitled to your opinion, but mine differs from yours 1000000000 percent!

Breastfeeding is one of the most beutiful things in the world. Heck - I wish my son NEEDED ME to saupport his life when he was an infant. The bond between mother and child is so strong and natural, and it is enhanced by breastfeeding.

The next time you see a mother feeding in public, don't think, "Oh man, how inconsiderate!" - think, "Wow - there is a mother that cares so much about her child, what a great thing to see in this day and age!"

If that don't work, I can show you pictures of neglected, starving children that noone wanted........well, with a supheona of course.

bushbuck
November 27th, 2005, 05:12 PM
I have no problem with it, its only natural.

RxBowhunter
November 27th, 2005, 05:41 PM
2 1/2 to 3 ?

You're kidding... RIGHT?

There's nothing natural about that! That woman has issues!

No kidding. I watched the game with a neighbor and we both had binocs. This kid was running up and down the isle and would stop on occasion for a snack. It was a little creepy.

Andrewwilson19
November 27th, 2005, 05:48 PM
well if she weighed 300 pounds and was 4 foot 2 and she was FUGLY then it would have been offensive....

Tax Lawyer
November 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Well, I guess I am alone. :embara:

You are right - I can ignore it. I did.

However, I still don't like SEEING it.

Here is a comparison. I have an unrestricted handgun permit. If I carry in a public place, it is on my ankle. I don't wear an exposed holster because it is offensive to some people. I also don't wear camo in public places and hang deer out front of my house because I have been told it is offensive.

Even though I think handguns, camo and a nice harvest are beautiful things, some people are repulsed by those type of sights. I try to respect their opinions and not subject them to my beliefs (i.e. carrying an exposed handgun, wearing camo, etc.). I really don't see why the same could not be done for me while I am trying to eat breakfast.

Bellows1
November 27th, 2005, 07:29 PM

Here is a comparison. I have an unrestricted handgun permit. If I carry in a public place, it is on my ankle. I don't wear an exposed holster because it is offensive to some people. I also don't wear camo in public places and hang deer out front of my house because I have been told it is offensive.

Even though I think handguns, camo and a nice harvest are beautiful things, some people are repulsed by those type of sights. I try to respect their opinions and not subject them to my beliefs (i.e. carrying an exposed handgun, wearing camo, etc.). I really don't see why the same could not be done for me while I am trying to eat breakfast.

Hey, the kid was trying to eat too, don't hear him complaining about you stuffing pancakes and sausage in your mouth. ;)

I know it's good for the babies and it's perfectly natural, but a blank is a blank, and I'm lookin.... I wanta see them all.

kdp
November 27th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I also don't wear camo in public places ...

Holy pattern-print! Here in Georgia, it's strange if you don't see people wearing camo, especially during hunting season.

CWG
November 27th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Dont bother me none.
Boobs is boobs. Feeding babes is as natural as me kissing my wife quickly in public. m'eh..no worries.
I have a bigger problem with women covering their faces with vails than breast feeding.

bushbuck
November 27th, 2005, 09:25 PM

It is to bad that people are now afraid to hang a deer in there yard because they are going to upset someone.
I wonder when they are going to build a wall around the meat counter in a grocery store and have a warning sign on the door that there may be blood flesh and meat exposed to view behind these doors. They will also have to cover the coolers with the frozen turkeys and fish sticks...

I also guess anyone that would be afraid to wear camo would certainly not ever let there wife be seen in a fur coat. It sounds to me like although You are certainly thinking of others, and that I can understand and respect, You are allowing them to change Your lifestyle to accomidate there childish beliefs. I live my life for Me my god, and my family. If You are offended by me wearing camo, please take the time to go to the local mall and tell all these kids dressed in huge baggy black pants, hanging around their knees instead of there waist, showing there boxer shorts, with 52 piercings in every part of there face and body, that I am offended.

oregonelkhunter
November 27th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I as brought up to think it was bad manners to eat in front of folks if there was not some for all.:tongue:

NICE..... :thumbs_up

Tax Lawyer
November 28th, 2005, 08:39 AM
It is to bad that people are now afraid to hang a deer in there yard because they are going to upset someone.
I wonder when they are going to build a wall around the meat counter in a grocery store and have a warning sign on the door that there may be blood flesh and meat exposed to view behind these doors. They will also have to cover the coolers with the frozen turkeys and fish sticks...

I also guess anyone that would be afraid to wear camo would certainly not ever let there wife be seen in a fur coat. It sounds to me like although You are certainly thinking of others, and that I can understand and respect, You are allowing them to change Your lifestyle to accomidate there childish beliefs. I live my life for Me my god, and my family. If You are offended by me wearing camo, please take the time to go to the local mall and tell all these kids dressed in huge baggy black pants, hanging around their knees instead of there waist, showing there boxer shorts, with 52 piercings in every part of there face and body, that I am offended.

I really think the camo thing is a little ridiculous. But, there are people who associate camo with terrorists. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Hunters don't need that type of association. I really don't feel I am accommodating to their beliefs; I am protecting my lifestyle. :)

Hammer
November 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I have no problem with it, its only natural.Well now peeing is "only natural" too :p

ELKARCHER
November 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Well now peeing is "only natural" too :p

Ummmm, how do you relate that to nourishment of an infant?????????

Hammer
November 28th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Ummmm, how do you relate that to nourishment of an infant?????????Just trying to make a funny ELK, no need to go any deeper, 'kay?

Tommy2993
November 28th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I am a manager in a restaurant in a very busy tourist location.
One complaint I am constantly dealing with is, will you tell that table
to make their children behave, mothers nurse daily and not one complaint
yet. If the mother is really attractive she will usually recieves :thumbs_up the kind of service fit for a Queen from my staff.

ELKARCHER
November 28th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Just trying to make a funny ELK, no need to go any deeper, 'kay?

'kay,no problem, I take all your posts that way.

Engelsmung
November 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I'd rather see that than listen to some self important jerk talk on a cell phone.

Obsession
November 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Wow, I am amazed at the responses to this :embara: I may be the first woman who feels this way but in all honesty...it makes me feel uncomfortable seeing someone nurse in public :embara:

I understand the bond between a mother and a child during breastfeeding time but I also feel that there is plenty enough time to "bond" in the privacy of your own home. I personally think that breast pumps were invented for good reasons and filling up a bottle and taking it with you in case your child needs a public feeding is a great idea! If for some reason the child won't take a bottle than a rest room or covering up with a blanket is more suitable than the whole public display of breastfeeding. I personally think it's a little dramatic when some woman has to pull her shopping cart over and whip her shirt up because she feels the kid needs to eat right that very second :rolleyes:

Tax Lawyer
November 28th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Wow, I am amazed at the responses to this :embara: I may be the first woman who feels this way but in all honesty...it makes me feel uncomfortable seeing someone nurse in public :embara:

I understand the bond between a mother and a child during breastfeeding time but I also feel that there is plenty enough time to "bond" in the privacy of your own home. I personally think that breast pumps were invented for good reasons and filling up a bottle and taking it with you in case your child needs a public feeding is a great idea! If for some reason the child won't take a bottle than a rest room or covering up with a blanket is more suitable than the whole public display of breastfeeding. I personally think it's a little dramatic when some woman has to pull her shopping cart over and whip her shirt up because she feels the kid needs to eat right that very second :rolleyes:

Wow.....I am shocked you agree with me on anything. ;)

The pump is big at my workplace. In fact, there were three women pumping in closed offices at one time a few years ago. It never bothered me. And, one lady was nice enough to ask me if it did bother me. :) I really appreciated the courtesy. :thumbs_up

EASTON94
November 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Most women with any sort of self respect put a little blanket over the kid while nursing in public, at least the ones that I have seen. I don't really see how its not considered indecent exposure if they don't cover up with something?? Easton94

Tax Lawyer
November 28th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Most women with any sort of self respect put a little blanket over the kid while nursing in public, at least the ones that I have seen. I don't really see how its not considered indecent exposure if they don't cover up with something?? Easton94

Just to clarify the situation.....she was fully exposed and not attractive at at all......:mg:

bushbuck
November 28th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Well now peeing is "only natural" too :p

holy smokes! a post without bashing the President. Are you sure your office is not going to dock your pay this week? Hey its monday morning and You are supposed to be spreading Your liberal crap, Try not to stray again. You certainly dont want to upset the office and let them think You are a normal person. Get back to the hate messages would You!:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Obsession
November 28th, 2005, 10:22 AM

See...miracles do happen :D

goatranch
November 28th, 2005, 10:26 AM
If public breast feeding bothers you...there more something wrong with YOU than the breast feeding. GET OVER IT!!! Smoking in public...now THERES something that actually effects all the breath it.:thumbs_do :thumbs_do

Tax Lawyer
November 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
If public breast feeding bothers you...there more something wrong with YOU than the breast feeding. GET OVER IT!!! Smoking in public...now THERES something that actually effects all the breath it.:thumbs_do :thumbs_do

Wow...thank you for the politeness and courtesy of having a different opinion. :rolleyes:

I don't think anything is wrong with me for not wanting to view breast feeding.

How about this? The mother of your child is hot. Gorgeous with beautiful breasts. She decided to breast feed in public. Meanwhile, there are 5 guys getting all horny over the mother of your child while she is engaging in something as sacred as feeding your child with breast milk. Is that okay with you? Probably not. But shouldn't you GET OVER IT!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

goatranch
November 28th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Tax Lawyer,
I am not a jeaslous man but if I were I guess I would have to deal with it. The breast feeding of my would be 'hot' wife is not the issue. The issue is the immature lust problem the 5 horny guys have. Everything is not always about SEX!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot control how anyone may feel about my 'hot, breast feeding wife.' I guess the only thing I could say/think is, "Lucky me, shes my 'hot, breast feeding wife, not theirs."

If I were a liquor store owner and I had bottles of whiskey displayed in my windows, would it be MY problem that some people cannot control their craving for the liquor viewed through my windows?? I would say its a self control problem if they can't handle viewing alcohol.

Tax Lawyer
November 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Displaying the whiskey in a liquor store is expected. You are in the business of selling liquor. If someone gets that worked up over seeing whiskey, that is acceptable. If I do not want to see whiskey, I do not go to liquor stores. That is because I KNOW whiskey will be there.

Additionally, there is nothing sacred about whiskey (at least to me ;) ).

However, when I go to a restaurant, it is not expected that I see breast feeding. Unlike whiskey in a liquor store, that is not part of the dining experience. Like I said, if I don't want to see whiskey, I avoid liquor stores. Should I avoid restaurants since I don't particularly care to see breast feeding?

As for the sexual reference, I don't find anything sexual about breast feeding. But, there are guys who do. Although I don't find that very appropriate, I would have to say the mother could control the situation and breast feed in private.

But.....hey.....like I say about censorship.....if you don't like it...don't look at it.

I guess I will have a self-imposed moratorium on visiting IHOP.

dea dell'arco
November 28th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I am a woman with a different opinion than most. Breast feeding in public is ok....if concealed. Boobs hanging out all over the place is just not cool. Older children (toddlers) is too much too. But there are plenty of people that support breastfeeding until the child is very old. I just am not one of them. Sex is perfectly natural too.....you don't see couples doing it out in the open. At least not legally. :cool:

Obsession
November 28th, 2005, 11:35 AM
It's good to see another woman agree on this issue :thumbs_up I also agree on the sex in public issue!!! I was going to say the same thing!!

dea dell'arco
November 28th, 2005, 11:44 AM
It's good to see another woman agree on this issue :thumbs_up I also agree on the sex in public issue!!! I was going to say the same thing!!
We usually do agree. :teeth:

SEOBowhntr
November 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM
TAX LAWYER,
QUIT WHINING ABOUT THIS!!! It's a woman giving her baby nourishment!!! If you don't like it you don't have to look at it. If it makes YOU uncomfortable, that is YOUR problem, not hers. If you think wearing camo is bad, then you really have issues. I wear camo out and about after hunting or before hunting, and anyone who is "offended" by that or "thinks" I look like a terrorist, is an IDIOT!!!

Originally posted by Tax Lawyer
How about this? The mother of your child is hot. Gorgeous with beautiful breasts. She decided to breast feed in public. Meanwhile, there are 5 guys getting all horny over the mother of your child while she is engaging in something as sacred as feeding your child with breast milk. Is that okay with you? Probably not. But shouldn't you GET OVER IT!!!!!

You are really pathetic with ignorant statement like this!!! You sound like a 12 year old arguing like that. That must be why you are a "tax" lawyer and not a trial lawyer. :thumbs_do

Hey do you know why Lawyers wear neckties???? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

bushbuck
November 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I cant believe the three girls on this thread are comparing sex and peeing to breastfeeding..

Obsession
November 28th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I cant believe the three girls on this thread are comparing sex and peeing to breastfeeding..

Well two of us are!!! Only two of us are female ;) As for your third, If your bashing Hammer...leave him alone!!

goatranch
November 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I just think that women have enough other stuff to deal with than having to be concerned about when and where they breast feed their child. When the kid is hungry, they need to eat, wherever they are.:thumbs_up

Tax Lawyer
November 28th, 2005, 01:08 PM
TAX LAWYER,
QUIT WHINING ABOUT THIS!!! It's a woman giving her baby nourishment!!! If you don't like it you don't have to look at it. If it makes YOU uncomfortable, that is YOUR problem, not hers. If you think wearing camo is bad, then you really have issues. I wear camo out and about after hunting or before hunting, and anyone who is "offended" by that or "thinks" I look like a terrorist, is an IDIOT!!!

You are really pathetic with ignorant statement like this!!! You sound like a 12 year old arguing like that. That must be why you are a "tax" lawyer and not a trial lawyer. :thumbs_do

Hey do you know why Lawyers wear neckties???? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Wow....let me show you how bad you put your foot in your mouth...

1. If I don't like it, I am not supposed to look at it. No problem. I don't really like seeing it but I do have ability to ignore it.

If you don't like my responses, as you would say,"you don't have to look at it".

How about taking your own advice?

2. LEARN HOW TO READ. I said I think camo is a beautiful thing. But, some people are offended by it. Therefore, I RESPECT their sentiments and do not subject them to my camo appearance. Personally, I think that their opinions are stupid. But, I will do ANYTHING to keep hunting off the PETA and Anti's radars. It may be hard for you to comprehend this but some of the best strategies in life are PREVENTIVE as opposed to CURATIVE. Why give PETA and the Anti's more to complain about? Is wearing camo in public necessary? I don't wear camo in public due to the aforementioned reasons and it is not good scent control.

3. I am pathetic and sound like a 12 year old??? If I disagree with you, I will give you the appropriate respect for your opinion and tailor my words to be courteous and collegial. If you don't have any respect for my opinion and proceed in an unnecessary combative fashion, I will give it back. Making the statement that no wonder I am "Tax Lawyer" and not a "Trial Lawer" is very mature, well crafted statement to demonstrate the draconian nature of my adolescent behavior. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Learn a little more about respect and who you offend. I did not say anybody was wrong for disagreeing with me on this issue. I just wanted to know what everybody's opinion was on the subject and offer my reasons why I really don't care for it in public. You, on the other hand, show your maturity and have to attempt to degarde me due to my profession. Are Jim C, Meleagris1, KYShooter, and Mrs. Archer suddenly bad people because they are lawyers?

5. Are you not going to say anything to Catherine and Dea???? Are they ignorant for their arguments???? ;) ;) ;)

Hey...if you want to debate this with me....no problem. But, I would appreciate it you could keep it to the merits of the issue and not succumb to ridiculous antics such as insult and degradation.

Hammer
November 28th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I cant believe the three girls on this thread are comparing sex and peeing to breastfeeding..Gee Bushbuck, are you trying to insult me by calling me a woman?

Isn't that just typical of the Conservative Goosestepper? Maybe we can get some gays, jews, and whatever on here and you can just keep-a-rolling. :thumbs_do

By the way, have you met Seth?

Meleagris1
November 28th, 2005, 01:56 PM
If you don't like my responses, as you would say,"you don't have to look at it".

How about taking your own advice?

Wow, I've always wondered what foot tasted like. :p

Seobowhntr, Tax lawyer isn't arguing about anything, he is merely stating his opinions, which I tend to agree with. Why would you jump in with personal attacks and slanderous remarks about attorneys? Did you say something about 12 year olds? Unbelievable. Just more proof that the fingers of some can and do frequently work faster than the mind.

Obsession
November 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Are you not going to say anything to Catherine and Dea???? Are they ignorant for their arguments???? ;) ;) ;)

Hey...everyone is entitled to their own opinion, some may think I am ignorant but...that is thier opinion and entitled to it :) :thumbs_up I am still waiting to hear why lawyers wear neckties :ROFLMAO:

bow weevil
November 28th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Here is my take on the whole thing..

It doesn't bother me at all, and while some have said that it should only be done in the privacy of your own home I can't help but think that I would rather have a child feeding in a restaraunt, than a child screaming because she or she is hungry. Our children wouldn't take a bottle or a pacifier at all, and when they were hungry, either they get fed, or cry.

I don't think it is really so harsh as "if you don't like it, don't look" but whats the big deal. I try not to pay attention, but if I do see it, I don't get worked up or offended. for me, Its a "mind your own buisiness" thing. you should probably be thankfull the child is quiet and allowing you to enjoy your meal, instead of becoming irritated because you are offended.

If you are a mom thats uncomfortable feeding in public, then don't do it, if you aren't, go right ahead.

Obsession
November 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM
If nobody is bothered by it then I think women should be allowed to walk around topless :) Men are allowed out in public without a shirt and their boobs serve no purpose whatsoever :rolleyes: So I think that since so many men feel dinner needs to be served right then and there, women shouldnt nned to wear shirts!!!

GVDocHoliday
November 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM

As we were sitting down in IHOP, I see a woman with her child breast feeding right next to us. None of the ladies I was with was offended. Personally, I think it is extremely inconsiderate in a public place. I try not to even blow my nose at a table, let alone having a child nurse on an exposed breast.

Am I alone on this?

Jealous?:tongue:

Huntin4Elk
November 28th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I agree with the Ladies.

There is nothing wrong with it as long as it is concealed. I realize that sometimes you have no control over when a baby wants fed, but at least have the courtesy to cover up.

Fletch Helical
November 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM
If nobody is bothered by it then I think women should be allowed to walk around topless :)

OBS for president :clap2: :clap2: :thumb: I think that is a great idea!!! I think they should be also:)

Obsession
November 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM
OBS for president :clap2: :clap2: :thumb: I think that is a great idea!!! I think they should be also:)

I swear sometimes I think we have met already :p

SilentElk
November 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I would hate to think I went hungry as an infant because my mom was to afraid to feed in public.

Too many good posts to quote them all here for sure! I say let woman breastfeed wherever. I wish they would try and curteous about it, and not right behind home plate on a baseball game or in such a high visability location but all and all, nothing wrong with it.

Guess what.......

Now thats crazy. Let me do the math here, 27yrs-9yrs= 18 years? Married her right after he kid left the house? Wow still blows me away how that worked out for you. Congrats I guess!

bow weevil
November 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM
If nobody is bothered by it then I think women should be allowed to walk around topless :) Men are allowed out in public without a shirt and their boobs serve no purpose whatsoever :rolleyes: So I think that since so many men feel dinner needs to be served right then and there, women shouldnt nned to wear shirts!!!

Vancouver is a "shirt optional" city, many cities in europe, many many public beaches, Heck, even the city of Berkley is clothing optional. if a woman feels comfortable enough with herself to do it, part of me says more power to her. The other part is still pretty conservative. I think you were being sarcastic, but I am not entirely sure I would have a problem with it. I think I could be more offended by a coulple fully clothed but making out in public (not kissing, but really making out) than seeing a woman topless on the street.

I think I need to put more thought into it, Probably no more than an hour or two of thinking about topless women should do it, but maybe longer.:teeth:

bushbuck
November 28th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Gee Bushbuck, are you trying to insult me by calling me a woman?

Isn't that just typical of the Conservative Goosestepper? Maybe we can get some gays, jews, and whatever on here and you can just keep-a-rolling. :thumbs_do

By the way, have you met Seth?

dont cry young grasshopper:teeth: now get back to bashing, you are slipping today..

November 29th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Sex is perfectly natural too.....you don't see couples doing it out in the open.

After 10 years driving trucks through 48 states and 3 Canadian provinces I can tell ya that it just aint so.

dea dell'arco
November 29th, 2005, 07:08 AM
After 10 years driving trucks through 48 states and 3 Canadian provinces I can tell ya that it just aint so.
Hey....you skipped the part in my quote that said at least not legally. Of course there are some that attempt it....but they are not legally allowed. It is considered indecent.

I think that H4E, Obsession and I all agree. Baby needs fed...feed it.....use a blanket to cover up.

Fletch Helical
November 29th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I think that H4E, Obsession and I all agree. Baby needs fed...feed it.....use a blanket to cover up.

Wait a minute.... didn't she say it should be okay for women to be topless in public cuz I was kinda liking that idea ;) :)

Obsession
November 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Wait a minute.... didn't she say it should be okay for women to be topless in public cuz I was kinda liking that idea ;) :)

Well you could always move to Vancouver :chortle:

dea dell'arco
November 29th, 2005, 10:47 AM
well you won't see me going for that. I ain't no 20 year old anymore. Having a kid and getting older tends to reduce their "attractiveness". Darn gravity.:teeth:

Fletch Helical
November 29th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Well you could always move to Vancouver :chortle:

*looking through pages on realtor.com* :typing: ;)

Professur
November 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Am I alone on this?

I'd rather see a child enjoying his lunch (a child eating in a restaurant? how rude indeed) than some of the slobs I do see chawing away with their yaps open and spewing food all over the table. Or worse, mouth full of food, and still yapping on their damn cell phone at the top of their voice.

2005Ultramag
November 29th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I could really care less one way, or the other. The only thing that I may have an issue with is if some woman breastfeeds her kid in public, then gets offended by people staring, either in disbelief, curiosity, or some other motive. If you're up for flipping one out for the kid, expect to attract attention. If the attention bothers you, do it where you won't attract any attention, and save yourself, and others some grief.

bow weevil
November 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I think I need to put more thought into it, Probably no more than an hour or two of thinking about topless women should do it, but maybe longer.:teeth:

Sorry guys, just checking in. Have not reached a decision yet, so I am still pondering topless women. This may take longer than I thought.

Jerry/NJ
November 29th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I hate when people stare at me when I am breast feeding...ignorants:eyebrows: :rofl:

November 30th, 2005, 01:42 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!:tongue:

TheHairlessone!
November 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I hate when people stare at me when I am breast feeding...ignorants

Jerry,
you breast feed?? :doh:

You are not alone. I hate it when people do that. I dont blow my nose or anything at the table either.

I know it is "natural" but I dont understand why they cant go to the bathroom or something?

rick

bow weevil
November 30th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I know it is "natural" but I dont understand why they cant go to the bathroom or something?

rick

or maybe if you are offended by someone feeding in the restaraunt, you can finish your meal in the restroom, where it is nice and quiet, except for the man in the stall next to you.

That makes no sense to me. It is no secret that parents go way out of their way to keep things clean, sanitary, and do what they can to prevent the kid from getting sick, and I know many decent restaraunts keep their restrooms fairly clean, but that doesn't change the fact of what it is.

Bellows1
November 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM
or maybe if you are offended by someone feeding in the restaraunt, you can finish your meal in the restroom, where it is nice and quiet, except for the man in the stall next to you.

That makes no sense to me. It is no secret that parents go way out of their way to keep things clean, sanitary, and do what they can to prevent the kid from getting sick, and I know many decent restaraunts keep their restrooms fairly clean, but that doesn't change the fact of what it is.

I agree, I don't spend any more time in a public restroom then absolutley nessisery. Sure wouldn't feed a kid in there.

Wally_Bob
November 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I also don't wear camo in public places and hang deer out front of my house because I have been told it is offensive.

the breast thing is ignorable. but when you dont want to hang your trophys in your yard due to someone elses opinions? wow...this is just bad. its food!! if they dont like it well thats there prob. theres other routes to take.

i myself were camo around the town and also go to town with blood on my camo and arms from skining the animal. hey, i also cut the dinner steak with the same dirty bloody knife. and still dont care what others think.

TheHairlessone!
November 30th, 2005, 02:16 PM
you can finish your meal in the restroom

Dont think I will be doing that! :ROFLMAO:

I do see what you are saying though about breastfeeding in the restroom though. Most of them are pretty dirty. They could grab the booth at the back or something like that though.

It just seems that sometimes the women should try a little bit better to not make it obvious to everyone what they are doing. I can tell you a couple times I have seen women doing that ( not just in restaurants) and I was shocked. They made no effort to conceal theirselves from other kids or other people.

rick

SEOBowhntr
November 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM
At least a couple of you guys here are thin-skinned and overly sensitive. Breast-feeding is not a bad thing, and helps keep babies healthier from an immunity standpoint and gives them better nutrition than anything from a bottle. Women should feel free to breast-feed where ever, but I do agree, it should be at least a little discreet, not like the lady behind the plate at the Royals game.

If some pervert wants to stare at a woman breast-feeding, my wife or someone else's, I wouldn't hesitate to correct him.

Wally_Bob
November 30th, 2005, 03:27 PM
If some pervert wants to stare at a woman breast-feeding, my wife or someone else's, I wouldn't hesitate to correct him.

+1

SPECTRE
November 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I'm a big fan. I still do it every chance I get.:thumbs_up

kidnutso
November 30th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Someone may have already commented to this effect, but I'm at work and can't take the time to read through all the posts. But I can't understand why anyone would be offended. It's natural. Especially if the mother does it modestly. Heck, sometimes you can't even tell.

But this comparison of breast feeding to wearing a gun in an ankle holster in public....you can't even compare that. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Alan in GA
December 4th, 2005, 05:11 AM
is if you look directly AT the lady feeding her child. I get a sudden uncomfortable feeling. It's as tho I was supposed to NOT look. I always look away so as to not be 'gawking'. I feel a cover blanket is the polite way to breast feed. The situation is,,,does the mother feel uncomfortable IF you happened to look [not knowing she was breast feeding] and then quickly look away? You don't know unless you ask her or she says something. It's just a bit of an uncomfortable situation that some folks don't care to be put in.
Something similar is when I go into people's homes to do pest control service, which means I will go into most of the rooms in the house. I always ask whoever greets me if it is "ok to go all thru the house". It embarrases ME when they forget their daughter is upstairs standing naked in the bathroom and she and I 'meet' with eyes! The parent usually says something like "Oh, yeah, I forgot, my daughter is up there".
Now I love to look at a beautiful women [naked or not],,,but it is AWKWARD when that happens accidentaly [purposely is just FINE!], and it happens often enough to make me always CHECK WITH THE PARENTS OR SPOUSE when I ask to inspect the whole house.
My wife breast fed our two sons for one year each. When they are old enough to ask for the breast,,they are too old to have it! [my wife's thoughts].
Breast feed where ever you want,,but do consider a small light cover blanket,,because you WILL make some feel uncomfortable that just don't know how YOU feel about them accidentaly looking at your breast[s].
I have walked up to women and talked to them a moment or two and only after a few seconds realized they were feeding their baby. At that moment I get flushed and wonder if they were trying to be indescrite [maybe standing off to one side for a bit of privady] when here I come loud and nonchalantly walking within a foot or two of them...looking them right in the face,,,the RIGHT AT THE BOOB that is exposed. Yup, it embarasses me. If I have a BOOB 'nearby', I don't want it to be an accident! Then all is well,,,very well!
Alan in GA.

goofy2788
December 4th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Decency in public is common courtisy. With that being said I have no problem with breast feeding in public as long as the women is not trying to draw attention to herself. I worked in the resturant business for 7 years and did see my fair share of breastfeeding moms. On one occasion I waited on a couple, brought them drinks, took their order, brought their food, then and only then did I notice that the women had been breastfeeding her infant. She was very discreet about it. On other occasions there have been women who just flop it out for all to see. I personally feel that these women do this for the "shock" value. Seems to me they do this to try to make a statement but, DOES A STATMENT NEED TO BE MADE? Why can't we as a society just learn to respect each persons individual rights. We should respect the right of the mother to breastfeed her child however that mother should also respect our rights by doing it discreetly.

Just my 1 cent worth. My thoughts are never worth 2 cents.

EASTON94
December 4th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Decency in public is common courtisy. With that being said I have no problem with breast feeding in public as long as the women is not trying to draw attention to herself. I worked in the resturant business for 7 years and did see my fair share of breastfeeding moms. On one occasion I waited on a couple, brought them drinks, took their order, brought their food, then and only then did I notice that the women had been breastfeeding her infant. She was very discreet about it. On other occasions there have been women who just flop it out for all to see. I personally feel that these women do this for the "shock" value. Seems to me they do this to try to make a statement but, DOES A STATMENT NEED TO BE MADE? Why can't we as a society just learn to respect each persons individual rights. We should respect the right of the mother to breastfeed her child however that mother should also respect our rights by doing it discreetly.

Just my 1 cent worth. My thoughts are never worth 2 cents.

Very well put, more and more people now adays don't know the definition of common courtesy unfortuneately! Easton94

Jbird
December 4th, 2005, 10:31 AM
My wife breast fed our son and our daughter in law breast fed our grandsons. I think it shows committment to the childs future health and
a willingness to do what is best for your children. Breast feeding in public was always done with discretion with a baby blanket shielding direct veiw.
Why anyone would be offended by a occasional glimpse of a breast from a mother feeding her child is beyond me. If this bothers you or offends you, you have issues that can't be dealt with here.
Jbird

goofy2788
December 4th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I don't think it is a matter of being offended but of the mother knowing when and where is the right place\time. As I stated before I'm not against breast feeding in public but I do think that the mothers have a responsiblity to make sure that they are discreet. As you stated your wife always covered up with a blanket. This is and always should be acceptable. However there are women who just don't care and will expose themselves for all to see. This may not bother an adult. But speaking as a father I don't want to have to explain to my children why this women is "naked" in public when I have spent so long trying to convince them that they shouldn't be running around the house in their pantys :rolleyes:. Once again it comes down to decency. By all means noone should deprive their child of food no matter in what form they recieve it. But just as someone stated on here that he would not hang a deer in his front yard for all to see, a women should not hang her breast out for all to see. The only reason to do either is to draw intention to yourself. A deer can be hung in a garage or backyard out of sight and a women can excuse herself to another, more private location if available or at least cover up with a blanket.

terrym
December 4th, 2005, 01:31 PM
My wife and I have 2 beautiful daughters. Both were breast fed, not usually in public but sometimes its inevitable. If the baby needs to be fed you feed it. Thats called good parenting. If some loser gets excited looking at that then there are places where they can go and have that taken care of. But they are still losers. Kids are the best thing around, gotta take good care of them.:)

GONZO
December 4th, 2005, 01:33 PM
My wife and I have 2 beautiful daughters. Both were breast fed, not usually in public but sometimes its inevitable. If the baby needs to be fed you feed it. Thats called good parenting. If some loser gets excited looking at that then there are places where they can go and have that taken care of. But they are still losers. Kids are the best thing around, gotta take good care of them.:)

AMEN to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thu mbs_up

SirWilliam
December 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Exactly! Thank you!

bowzilla
December 4th, 2005, 07:31 PM
just like a lawyer to complain about this whats next you want to sue the poor lady trin to feed her child.Dude get a life or better yet change your job.

Bellows1
December 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
just like a lawyer to complain about this whats next you want to sue the poor lady trin to feed her child.Dude get a life or better yet change your job.

Personal attacks are not allowed.

Tax Lawyer
December 4th, 2005, 09:09 PM

Bowzilla....you have a PM.

Dredly
December 4th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Actually I agree with him, Tax Lawyer that is.

I am married and we are expecting our first in a few months (so who knows I may change my mind :) ) but personally I don't think I need to see a woman breastfeeding in a public place. I can't figure out why anyone would think it is a-ok to just whip out a boob (normally illegal) because they have a child?

If the feeding is being done discretely then I see no problem at all with it. But I've seen some mothers just hike up their shirt, take off the bra (if they are wearing one) and let the baby go to town while holding a conversation with other people.

There is really no reason for the exposure as it can definately be handled dicretly.

As for the "smoking is horrible" comment. I agree. I can't stand it and I hate when people smoke in public places, especially right outside doors where I have to walk through the cloud... but thats a different issue (sort of)

Its the "Everyone else can go to hell" attitude that my wonderful generation has that is the primary reason for This thread and many more like it.... and the response is always "If you don't like it leave" or "Ignore it", look how well thats been working for us so far.

bowtech_babe
December 4th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I say feed the baby but dear goodness cover that thing up :mmph:

Samantha

Fred74
December 4th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I don't know what the big problem is but at 31yrs old, I would do all the breast feeding in public I could get away with. ( at my discretion of course). How about people that go to the bathroom and don't wash there hands, now that is nasty!!!:tongue:

Tax Lawyer
December 4th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Actually I agree with him, Tax Lawyer that is.

I am married and we are expecting our first in a few months (so who knows I may change my mind :) ) but personally I don't think I need to see a woman breastfeeding in a public place. I can't figure out why anyone would think it is a-ok to just whip out a boob (normally illegal) because they have a child?

If the feeding is being done discretely then I see no problem at all with it. But I've seen some mothers just hike up their shirt, take off the bra (if they are wearing one) and let the baby go to town while holding a conversation with other people.

There is really no reason for the exposure as it can definately be handled dicretly.

As for the "smoking is horrible" comment. I agree. I can't stand it and I hate when people smoke in public places, especially right outside doors where I have to walk through the cloud... but thats a different issue (sort of)

Its the "Everyone else can go to hell" attitude that my wonderful generation has that is the primary reason for This thread and many more like it.... and the response is always "If you don't like it leave" or "Ignore it", look how well thats been working for us so far.

Thanks.......;)

Let me clarify a few points. I was not OFFENDED; I was uncomfortable. I was a breast fed child and see nothing wrong with it. However, this particular incident was not appropriate (huge, unattractive breast COMPLETELY exposed, no effort to cover, and the table attracted a lot of attention (everybody was loud)).

I can respect everybody's opinion (on AT) that they think it is acceptable. However, there are other people that disagree. In fact, I am in the middle of the road (I don't want to see it but I can accept it if covered). I have talked to a lot of different people about it. There are a fair amount of people who are vehemently opposed to it. One gentlemen said thay his sister is not allowed to do it at any family gatherings (in a private home). Now, that is ridiculous. But, that is his opinion.

My dad is a pediatrician and a big proponent on breast feeding. He is also my moral barometer when I have questions. He said that he does not mind seeing it in public but thinks it should be done in private or covered with blanket. Although it is just his opinion, I think he does have some expertise (if there is any) on the subject.

So, as JBird insinuates, I do not have "problems" that cannot be dealth wit........ :rolleyes:

I think my point was that I just do not appreciate blatant disregard for any type of empathy for other people's thoughts. Although I have seen this before, this incident was disturbing because the woman had no care to make it an inconspicous process. The other times I have seen it (maybe 10) I did not really care that much.

With regards to the lawyer bashing....lawyers jokes are funny. We do have some bad apples in the profession. But, I think someone should know there are all types of lawyers. As for me.....I get up in the morning and try to save people money. Recently, I was able to recover $20,000 for an injured firefighter who was erroneously taxed on some benefits. That is one example of things I do for people just like you. Now, if somebody can tell me that I am a bad person because I am a lawyer and this is what I do for a living, then I don't want to be good in their eyes.

Andrewwilson19
December 4th, 2005, 10:18 PM

Bra you might as well join the PETA group... You should have prode with wearing camo and hanging deer in your frony yard... Who cares about those ANTI'S anyways... IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU DO... IT is a Privillege not a Right... ENJOY IT....

Andrewwilson19
December 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM
hey if they can expose their boobs can i whip out my penis???lol...j/j....
I had to say it...

Dredly
December 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Nope thats not "Offended"

Offended is:

when there are a bunch of idiots (in a public place) being stupid and seeing how loud their stero systems will go. Apparently there is a new type of music now... its called "how many swear words can you say in 5 second chunks" Not to mention taking up all the parking spots, even though they aren't actually providing any business

or...

Playing X-Box online and having 10 year olds inform you of what your mom did last night, when somone whose voice hasn't changed yet teaches ME new combination of curse words there is an issue.

or....

When some incosiderate idiots decide it would be LOTS of fun to wander around the streets at 1:30 AM reving their engines and then peeling out with their radio cranked so high that my teeth are shaking out of my head while I'm INSIDE and they are 1/4 block away and I can make out every word of the cRap they are listening to.

or....

When I hear a 5 year old go off on her "mommy", being sure to let her know how fat, ugly, and stupid she is and having her "mommy" sit there and take it as if it was natural. Oh and can't forget the racial slurs that are typically thrown around by the little kids as well... when I was a kid we had SOAP (Irish spring tasted the best, btw)

hmmm... maybe I get offended to easily? Guess thats what happens when you grow up in a good home outside of the city?

not sure... but I just bought my first house 3 miles from where I grew up, outside the city and hope like hell I raise my kids right.

oh and before anyone asks, I'm 25 so yeah, this is my "generation" that I'm complaining about.

SEOBowhntr
December 4th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Tax Lawyer,
Now the clarification here makes your gripe a little more understandable. I agree that she should at least have the decency to cover, something that may be repulsive to others, up of at least be a little discreet, but you just went off about public breast feeding, and didn't specify. My wife breast-fed our little one and you couldn't even tell anything was really going on, and that's kind of the way it should be. The Lawyer jabs were maybe a little un-called for, but up to that point, you sounded like you were just whining about a discreet breast-feeding incident, not a blatant "boob flopping" incident.

I have a couple friends who are lawyers, and are both decent guys, and know a few others that are pretty stand-up guys, and sure there are bad apples in all professions, it's just that the lawyers really get noticed.

You couldn't really be too bad a person, after all you hunt and shoot don't you??? :thumbs_up

REDHDCHARM
December 5th, 2005, 12:51 AM
+++ Just a friendly reminder that this thread is about public breast feeding, not lawyer bashing. THIS Campfire is friendly...;)
archerytalk.com MODERATOR
REDHDCHARM+++

robk
December 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM
the baby is hungry and so is mom what should she do. let the baby cry and be hungry or let the baby have it's nourishment or cry and upset the mother and whom ever she is with. if you don't like to see a baby eat then look another direction or if you sitting facing the baby and mother then ask who your with to trade you places and you don;t have to see.
if your that immature not to handle that then your going to be in trouble when your married and your child is hungry and you have to feed him or her or both. and they breat feed. your going to get hungry and then be mad at your child because you had to leave and go home and your mrs feeds the kids.
lighten up quit being a prude lol
rob k

Bowzone_Mikey
December 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Ok I skimmed over this topic ...simply because there is some long responses and i dont have the time nor the pateince to read about this ...but after reading the first page and skimming the next few .....

My wife breast fed my daughter ... did it in public .... but was quiet sly about doing it ...heck half the time I didnt even notice ....and trust me I can pick out an exposed Boobie several miles away ..... I think its the most beutifull and natural things out there ..... as was stated somewhere above I wish she needed me when she was that young ....she is now 2. Now In talking with my parents whom are pushing 65now ..... in their day ...breast feeding was frowned upon when I was that age ...mid-late 1970s(I was born in 1976).... as it was the "poor peoples way" ...Perhaps that explains why I am a boobie man ....LMAO

Lawyer I read yer above comment about dressing in Camo and carring you sidearm etc.... I agree with you to a point ...but ya dude ....carrying a gun and haveing a kid suck on yer tit are two totally differant things ...they aint the same ballpark ....they aint even the same damn sport .....
If a mother is Feeding her child and she is obviously not triing to to be dicreet about it and it offends you I dont beleive its un-reasonable to ask POLITLY to try to cover up a bit IF it truely offends you. ... on the other hand if you try ask/tell her to cover up while posing on some sort of Power Trip thing then yer an (insert expletive here). I realize Family values differ in accordance to what area you are from and I respect that .... I was brought up that the Human body was not a "Taboo" thing....

My 2 cents for what they are worth

cfuhrer
December 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Thank you, thank you Cath I was afraid I was going to be the only one with this opinion.
I am all for feeding a child the way God intended but take there are classier ways to do it than right there in public.

Wolf6151
December 5th, 2005, 06:17 PM
You should have asked the lady if you could have the other breast as an appatizer since the child was only using one of them.:rolleyes:

SoreLoser
December 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM
+++ Just a friendly reminder that this thread is about public breast feeding, not lawyer bashing. THIS Campfire is friendly...;)
archerytalk.com MODERATOR
REDHDCHARM+++

WoW.. You're a Moderator and this thread is still going?? This is without a doubt the worse thread ever posted on AT. It needs to stop.

Salt Grass Mama
December 6th, 2005, 03:02 PM
While I totally believe that if you can breast feed you should, I also believe in limits. Breastfeeding an infant while covering yourself discreetly should never be a problem. People seem to have a really hard time with the concept of limits these days.

I check in on different discussion boards quite frequently and the most common denominator I see is a lot of people who want to set limits on the behavior of others, but who will fight tooth and nail against anyone who wants to curtail any acitivity they enjoy.

I saw a woman at the Texas Rennaisance Festival several years ago with a child that appeared to be about 6 years old. His mother was seated on a bench and the child walked up to her, jerked her shirt up, and started to nurse. I thought that was a little over the top. However, the comments that infer that only attractive women with cute, perky breasts should be allowed to breast feed in public are kind of juvenile, don't you think?

MQ1 zhooter
December 6th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Anyone approve this? :teeth: Kidding.

reynamr0722
December 6th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Alright I have two situations where this directly affected my life...

Situation one...

I work as a corrections officer in a jail and the policy for visitation was that we transported the visitors to our building for visitation.
Well usually spouses of incarcerated inmates would bring their children with them so "Daddy" (I call them sperm donaters) could see their baby's and baby's momma.
Well in the middle of visitation(inmates in seperate room behind glass) this woman procedes to whip it out to breastfeed and another inmate sees another inmates girls boobie.
Inmate #1 tells inmate #2 "Damn homeboy your girls gots some nice titties yo!!.....And the fight was on...
Visitor#2 gets jealous of visitor #1's tatas and comences to having words w/her for exposing herself to her boyfriend....And they almost have a tussle as the result of it...

Almost had a riot over that one

Situation #2

My wife and I are in the military and a fellow marine's wife had asked us if we could watch her child so she could go to the gym.
Friend's wife was a pretty blond lady and very shapely in certain places and flaunted it whenever she could.
Friends wife returns from gym to pick up kid.
When she sits on the couch (Black sports bra and spandex shorts) ahh I remember it like it was yesterday..the kid walks up and huggs mommy and kind of fusses a bit and what does mommy do?.....Yep she whips that bad boy out and tries to feed there on the couch...My jaw dropped and I quickly noticed my wife staring at me and I quickly shifted my attention to something...anything that I could find...Later when she asked my if I "liked the show?" I said that I was offended and that It was an aweful experience that I wisk could be scrubbed from my memory...She didnt buy it and It sure was cold there on the couch...

In both situations I thought a blanket could have helped the situation but hey......These were two near death experiences for me at the hands of breastfeeding mommies. I think that the act should be outlawed...(in case my wife is reading this):rolleyes:

4X-24 BOB
December 6th, 2005, 07:27 PM
TAX MAN I am abreast of what you are trying to say . Breast feeding is okay if the breast is small , not large and ugly ! The ladies at the office that where pumping, you liked what they were doing since you gave your approval you must be the boss or they really respect your opinions ! :secret: :confused:

Breast feeding is the healthiest thing a mother can do for a child ! Most of the ladies that breast feed in public do so without anyone knowing !

I come from a long line of breast feeders , as a matter of fact my wife says I am still not weaned !! ;) ;) :teeth: All this talk of eating in public is making me hungry !!;) :p But I was born hungry and have never gotten over it !:tongue:

Tax Lawyer
December 6th, 2005, 08:14 PM
TAX MAN I am abreast of what you are trying to say . Breast feeding is okay if the breast is small , not large and ugly ! The ladies at the office that where pumping, you liked what they were doing since you gave your approval you must be the boss or they really respect your opinions ! :secret: :confused:

Breast feeding is the healthiest thing a mother can do for a child ! Most of the ladies that breast feed in public do so without anyone knowing !

I come from a long line of breast feeders , as a matter of fact my wife says I am still not weaned !! ;) ;) :teeth: All this talk of eating in public is making me hungry !!;) :p But I was born hungry and have never gotten over it !:tongue:

If some people are going to post, I wish they would read first.....

I stated the size of the breast because it was so big and conspicuous that a blind man could not miss it. I don't care if the woman is beautiful, please cover up.

The ladies who pump in my office do so at their own discretion. I have never commented to any of them. It is not something I want to discuss at my work with members of the opposite sex. Additionally, I am not their "boss"; I am an employee; therefore, they are my coworkers. Plus, I show them so much courtesy and respect that I KNOW they would not do it if they even had an idea that it made me uncomfortable. :)

Lastly, if you read, I was a breast fed child and come from a physician who supports it. I understant its positive effects. I just don't appreciate it when it functionally serves for shock value.

4X-24 BOB
December 6th, 2005, 08:43 PM

The pump is big at my workplace. In fact, there were three women pumping in closed offices at one time a few years ago. It never bothered me. And, one lady was nice enough to ask me if it did bother me. :) I really appreciated the courtesy. :thumbs_up

How big was the pump ? As long as the ladies were behind closed doors it did not bother you ! If the lady was nice enough to ask you at least you could of given her an answer! So did you speak to her about it or not ?

4X-24 BOB
December 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I do READ !! I just wish some people would remember what they POST !

Tax Lawyer
December 6th, 2005, 10:10 PM
How big was the pump ? As long as the ladies were behind closed doors it did not bother you ! If the lady was nice enough to ask you at least you could of given her an answer! So did you speak to her about it or not ?

Sigh.

I have no idea what pump looks like. It is none of my business. :)

I never commented to any of them about it. I was asked by my office neighbor if I minded since it was loud. She is such a sweetheart that I would never want to hurt her feelings. It was behind closed doors and I felt she had the right to do whatever she wanted in her own privacy. So, I simply said "no problem" and moved on. However, it was difficult since it was very loud. Also, I did have a client ask me what the noise was. How do you think I liked talking about that? ;)

I have never said a word to any of the moms in my office about my opinion. It is none of my business what they do behind closed doors. As for the noise, it does not make me uncomfortable. And, I did tolerate the noise because they had the common courtesy to do it as discreetly as possible and the one at least cared about her courtesy to her neighbors. Kind of like how I ask if they mind if I use my speaker phone.

More importantly, when did I say I had a problem with pumping?

Newhunter1
December 7th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Am I alone on this?

Last year my wife gave birth to our son...Later when I returned to work the school counselor came to me and asked me this question. "Paul, does your wife breastfeed your son in public and why?" I was taken back from the "why" question and asked why she was asking that. However, before she answered I told her yes she does, but she covers herself up with a blanket and my sons face is also covered. She then went on to say that she found that women who breastfeed their children in public were rude, inconsiderate, backwards rednecks. That basically those people were uneducated morons. She then went on to say that if she and her husband were in a nice restaurant that she would tell my wife not to do that and would get the manager to kick us out of the restaurant. Well, needless to say I took great offense to this. I told her in no uncertain terms to get a life. That if she or anyone would come up to my wife and I while at a restaurant that they had better be ready for a confrontation. I was at first polite with her, but then I became very angry with her. She told me that her husband would make sure that my wife and I were removed from the fancy restaurant...to which I replied that I hope her husband can take a butt whooping because thats exactly what would happen. I don't believe that breastfeeding in public or anywhere for that matter is rude. In fact I consider it beautiful and would come to the defense of any woman who was being singled out because of their choice of nurishment for their child.

I love the fact that my wife choose to breastfeed our son. It made it easy for me to sleep at night...no night feedings for me. :thumbs_up However, my son is so close to my wife...he's a year old now and we are starting to bond more as father and son. I love the age where he is at now.

So Tax Lawyer, while I have a great deal of respect for you and for the knowledge you provide here on AT I would have to say you are in the minority.
Also, I'm also glad you did not say anything to the lady in question, but kept your opinions to yourself. I do like the fact that you came here to see if you were in the right or wrong (thinking that is).

Paul

Tax Lawyer
December 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM
She then went on to say that she found that women who breastfeed their children in public were rude, inconsiderate, backwards rednecks. That basically those people were uneducated morons. She then went on to say that if she and her husband were in a nice restaurant that she would tell my wife not to do that and would get the manager to kick us out of the restaurant. eing singled out because of their choice of nurishment for their child.

Just to be clear.....I do not share that sentiment. I am sorry that someone handled the issue with that type of insensitivity.

I posted this thread because I was curious what opinions were out there. Unfortunately, I basically exposed myself to personal attacks and the appearance I am somehow anti-american and want kids to starve because I really don't appreciate conspicouos breast feeding.

And to the suprise of many AT'ers, I am not in the minority. I started asking my network (i.e. friends, family, peers [outside of work]) about their opinion. There were a lot of strong feelings on the subject. Even more suprisingly, the people against it have breast fed children!!! Maybe I live in a backwards area. :confused:

But, I think I demonstrated that I practice what I preach - not to impose your beliefs and values on other people. By not commenting or looking at conspicuous breast feeding women, I am not trying to supersede my values over theirs. I just wish they would at least cover up or think that someone might not feel comfortable around this type of activity.

Newhunter1
December 7th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Just to be clear.....I do not share that sentiment. I am sorry that someone handled the issue with that type of insensitivity.

I don't feel you handled it with insensitivity...if you had approached the lady in your original post

I posted this thread because I was curious what opinions were out there. Unfortunately, I basically exposed myself to personal attacks and the appearance I am somehow anti-american and want kids to starve because I really don't appreciate conspicouos breast feeding.

If you feel I attacked you then please accept my apologies. I did not mean to come across so strongly. I also know you were not implying that you wanted kids to starve or that you are anti-American.

But, I think I demonstrated that I practice what I preach - not to impose your beliefs and values on other people. By not commenting or looking at conspicuous breast feeding women, I am not trying to supersede my values over theirs.

Neither did I try and impose my beliefs on my prissy counselor, but I will not allow someone to impose their beliefs on me and my family as well.

I just wish they would at least cover up or think that someone might not feel comfortable around this type of activity.

My wife is a very modest person. She is from the deep south and does not believe in giving someone a free show. Other than me...of course. When she was breastfeeding our son she never uncovered herself in public...ever.

Take care

Paul

Tax Lawyer
December 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM
If you feel I attacked you then please accept my apologies. I did not mean to come across so strongly. I also know you were not implying that you wanted kids to starve or that you are anti-American.

No offense taken. I apologize if I insinuated that. Actually, I think you responded the best of anyone. :)

Spreggy
December 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Wifey and I got together with another couple, some old friends of ours. We are pretty close with this couple and have talked about all kinds of things in the many years we've known them since college 20+ years ago. But I still felt pretty uncomfortable when the gal decided to pop one out and feed the kid while sitting next to me on the couch, without a blanket covering the kid's head. That's just rude, sorry. There is no need for bad manners in my opinion.

Some folks think that a mother feeding a child is a thing of beauty in nature, but it is this reporter's opinion that it is only beautiful if it is your own child. It's like listening to a kid play the clarinet: if it's not my kid, it ain't beautiful!

arrowhead300
December 11th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Wifey and I got together with another couple, some old friends of ours. We are pretty close with this couple and have talked about all kinds of things in the many years we've known them since college 20+ years ago. But I still felt pretty uncomfortable when the gal decided to pop one out and feed the kid while sitting next to me on the couch, without a blanket covering the kid's head. That's just rude, sorry. There is no need for bad manners in my opinion.

Some folks think that a mother feeding a child is a thing of beauty in nature, but it is this reporter's opinion that it is only beautiful if it is your own child. It's like listening to a kid play the clarinet: if it's not my kid, it ain't beautiful!
now that is funny there:ROFLMAO:
i agree feed them if they are hungry but use a blanket. a little modesty goes a long ways

pahuntnut
December 22nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Isn't urinating natural??? do you want me to do it right next to your breakfast table??? How about scratching myself when i have an itch no matter where that itch may be? It's natural. Personally I am against public breast feeding unless the baby is over 18

fishingal
December 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
I don't get it!!! It is totally natural....most woman cover with a blanket....I find people using foul language when I am in public with my children MUCH more offensive...what do we do about that??!!!! BIG FAT ZERO!!!

Get with the program...woman have been doing it for years.....now if the kid is 4 or 5 that's a little strange......(actually my husband witnessed that exact thing at a Royal's game one year) otherwise...be thankful the mother is taking the time with her child...now adays, that's pretty rare!!!!!

sticshooter
December 22nd, 2005, 10:12 PM
Cover it up or pump it into a bottle. I agree with hamman peeing is natural also and so men can just whip it out and let her fly! ;) :wink: :ROFLMAO:

the natural
December 22nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
first im mad cause the kids meal is better than mine, but really your in a PUBLIC place and everyone has their quirks and things they do to annoy another person without knowing it, heck you mite smack and chew with your mouth open but do you think it bothered her so bad she went and wrote a post on a sewing website about it.

wildchild
December 23rd, 2005, 02:43 AM
I am so suprised at the response to this! Kudos to those that are for breastfeeding. From a mother that wasn't able to breastfeed because I had a premie, I look at the women who can breastfeed with jealousy. It is so important and healthy for babies and mothers. You can't gage when a baby is going to be hungry and if your breastfeeding they eat more often than they do with formula. You can't expect women to be holed up in the house until they are done breastfeeding. Studies have shown milk coming directly from the breast rather than pumped is more beneficial. I think it can be done discreetly though in public places. Covering with a blanket doesn't take that much effort.

Skeptic
December 25th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Yes the mother should cover up with a blanket if ones available but I'm all for her being able to feed the baby wherever she might be.

One thing that ticks me off is when someone says the lady should take the kid in the restroom! So the baby is supposed to feed where someone else is crapping?????? I don't get that at all!!!!!!!

Dodgedude
January 1st, 2006, 09:24 AM

While I guess its nice that you want to respect other people's feelings, it pains me to think that you are willing to alter your lifestyle to make complete strangers happy. I would much rather take you as you are, than for what it seems that your are and be dead wrong. Appears to me that it is a greater disservice to misrepresent yourself.

BTW I think we need more packin' in public, I'll wear my camo when I want, and since I'm a guy-- bring on the breastfeeding. If I were a chick, I woudl run and hide before I whipped 'em out.

Guess Im proof positive that by trying not to offend people, your offending someone anyway. Live for God, family and self. To heck with the rest.

Wow my .04

Lefty Jim Carey
January 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Go stand in line with a cup of coffee and tell her you need some straight from the tap, maybe that will give her a clue, some people it bothers and some it doesn't. Personally I'd want to know when it's my turn! :tongue:

Big Country
January 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
I find people using foul language when I am in public with my children MUCH more offensive...what do we do about that??!!!! BIG FAT ZERO!!!

Not me. Cuss in front of me....no problem. Do it in front of my wife or children...I WILL let you know about it, pronto.;)

2005Ultramag
January 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
5 pages now.

This thread is really being milked.

Big Country
January 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM
5 pages now.

This thread is really being milked.

Hardy, har, har!!!:p

ILLbowhunter111
January 1st, 2006, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=Tax Lawyer]Well, I guess I am alone. :embara:

I also don't wear camo in public places .........

Well i ware camo almost every day mostly a hat tell me how is that offenceve????:cool:

RxBowhunter
January 3rd, 2006, 06:09 AM
I haven't looked at this thread for awhile.

After 5 pages I figured there must be pics on it by now.:rolleyes: :) :embara:

Jim Malone
January 3rd, 2006, 06:22 AM
Well, i am from Europe:rolleyes: So the sight of a naked breast is not really all that special here.
In fact, the shops near the beach, mostly only sell the bikini pants, not the top!:teeth:
Almost everyone female between 16 and 60 goes monokini on the beach.
There is also a public nudity beach near the "normal" beach. My 3 daughters are not offended by the sight of nudity at all. Breastfeeding in public is also considered normal.
I see it like hunting... It was normal for 100.000.000 years but suddenly it's frowned upon by "civilized" people?
It's not because you can buy hamburgers in the supermarket we should forget meat grows on animals. It's not because you can buy babymilk in a store that we should forget that it come's out of breasts!:teeth:

just my 2 Euro cents:p