PDA

View Full Version : EUROPEAN MOUNT - making progress

BowBo
December 1st, 2005, 03:55 AM
I started the Euro mount on my 3rd bowkill of the season (9 pointer), and it's finally getting to where I want it!! :thumbs_up

This is the skull after the skinning of the head/face:

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/skullstraighton.JPG

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/skullleftside.JPG

BowBo
December 1st, 2005, 03:58 AM
Here it is in the boiling pot, with LOTS of Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Notice the yard stick tied to the rack to hold the antlers out of the water, preventing discoloration of the antlers.....

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/witchesbrew.JPG

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/whitailbrew.JPG

BowBo
December 1st, 2005, 04:01 AM
After a LOT of picking and digging meat out of the skull......... I finally got it thru the first "bleaching" stage! I will probably soak it one more time for maybe another 6 hrs to get the desired "whiteness".

Here it is in its current state...........

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/EURO%20Skull.JPG

BowBo
December 1st, 2005, 04:03 AM
Won't be long now and I'll have it mounted onto a plaque. Just need to design and fabricate one the way I want it. I'll post pics again when I get it all finished.

daspope
December 1st, 2005, 05:02 AM
looks good! :thumbs_up

Im contemplating doing my mule deer this way if it get it since it is cheap and I wont have to wait on a taxidermist.

buckhunter2054
December 1st, 2005, 09:35 AM
Boy that buck would of made a nice shoulder mount? LOL

blue thunder
December 1st, 2005, 09:38 AM
That looks good.Kind of a process,but finished product looks good.

BowBo
December 1st, 2005, 10:16 AM
Boy that buck would of made a nice shoulder mount? LOL

Well, I've promised myself that I wouldn't shoulder mount another buck unless he was bigger than the one I have, OR has an extremely unique rack..... and to me this one does not fit either of those categories.

I have a nice buck mounted, 2 wild boars mounted, a full body bobcat mounted, a 10lb bass mounted, and a full body black bear mounted...... not to mention all the other racks on plaques from over the years. So I already have a house full of "stuff" and need to be selective of what I "stuff" now a days.(LOL)

But yeah, it would have made a nice looking shoulder mount.

Cornfed
December 1st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Nice work on the skull, good job. However, for me.... I will NEVER boil and clean another stinkin' skull ever again. A local taxidermist now has his own Dermisted Beetles and their work is amazing plus the taxi will take your cape for trade-in or charge you $70 for the cleaning and mounting on an Oak or Walnut pedastal plaque. :thumbs_up :cool:

Hemi
December 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
Looks great, but I wont do another one myself, I will let the beetles do there thing!!!

xtrembowhntr
December 1st, 2005, 06:48 PM
looks good there bowbo.........what are you going to mount it on????? heres mine from this past nov.2nd.

BowBo
December 1st, 2005, 10:56 PM
Hey Xtrembowhntr.......... where did you get that desk top pedastal plaque??
I have seen some like it, but a wall pedastal plaque...... and that is what I am more interested in!

If you could/would........ I'd appreciate your contact for obtaining one! I love the color of yours as well..... is it Walnut... or Black Cherry??

Thanks in advance for any help!
It would save me quite a bit of work making one, and I'm sure will look better than anything I can make! :)

EASTON94
December 1st, 2005, 11:00 PM
Nice job BowBo!! I bet that smells nice when thats boiling!!:yield: :bolt: Here is a link about those beetles Hemi and Cornfed were talking about, they are freakin amazing!!

http://www.skulltaxidermy.com/kits.html

Easton94

Dry Lake Archer
December 1st, 2005, 11:05 PM
Nice job doing it yourself man, but i agree, i will never do another one myself. There is a local taxidermist i know also, he does these for $60 which looks great or he puts it on a pedistal like extreme for $15 bucks more. Between my dad, brother and myself with rifle and bow we get a few each year. He will have them done in 2 months usually and they look great. Here is my brothers from last year.

xtrembowhntr
December 1st, 2005, 11:40 PM
i made the pedestal myself at work, and yes it is walnut. if you search on the net you can probably find them fairly cheap.

fredbear90
December 1st, 2005, 11:46 PM
those are some sweet lookin skull mounts yall. Bowbo post picks of it done when you get a chance:thumbs_up

BowBo
January 10th, 2006, 01:24 AM
FINALLY!!!

Got him on the plaque, and hung!
It's been a fun project. Cost me $27 for the plaque, and some time spent..... can't beat that!

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/skull.JPG

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/skullclose%20%282%29.JPG

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/skullside%20%282%29.JPG

D-Bak
January 10th, 2006, 01:39 AM
really looks great....

Cant wait till I get to make one of those next year....

old Graybeard
January 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Nice job:thumbs_up I have done about a half dozen myself and it is a stinkin job and a lot of work but the results are worth it. If i could though I would use Dermisted beatles to do another one.

jer7440
January 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Aren't those the same kind of beattles that are known for destroying mounts. I thought I read an article one time and the author had tons of damage done to his trophy collection because these beatles got to his mounts and he had no idea.

Mikie Day
January 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM
i boiled and picked and picked and picked.lol

a taxidermist gave me a powder to mix with 40% proxcide i put the past all over the skull , let it set for 24hrs and wow is it white...just brushes off
yours turned out awesome...

Mikie
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mikieday/skl1.jpg

Jerry/NJ
January 10th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Bowbo, looks great buddy!:thumbs_up I cant tell from the pic, did you spray it with clear coat? It gives it a nice shine and adds to the beauty.

BowBo
January 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks! I just enjoy doing it myself.... wouldn't mind getting some of those beetles to try for next time tho, eh!?! ;)

No Jer'.... I don't have clear coat on it, and did debate it, but decided I don't want to do it.

The peroxide paste to me leaves it too white for my likings. I've done 3 skulls now, and I really like each one. And each are a different color. They look more natural to me.

My bear skull I went pretty white with. I have a wild boar that I left more brownish (which I think looks really cool). And now I have this whitetail that is white, but not WHITE white! I love how it turned out.

Oh btw, I do have a pic of the other two skulls I remember..... here they are:

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/skulls.JPG

jer7440
January 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Very cool! Nice job.

Robin@AimLow
January 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Looks good! I did several the last couple years and came up with some time savers.

- don't skin it out. Just boil the skin and all. After the first half hour or so, you can easily just pull the skin off by hand in seconds.

- don't mess around with picking at the meat and brain. I take mine out every so often and hit it with the garden hose sprayer. The pressure will remove meat and even the inside stuff if you spray into the nose cavity and other holes.

BowBo
January 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I take mine out every so often and hit it with the garden hose sprayer. The pressure will remove meat and even the inside stuff if you spray into the nose cavity and other holes.

I did the same with the hose for the brain (works well), but still did some picking in other areas of the skull to. Haven't tried cooking skin and all.... seems like it would stink a whole lot worse! Because actually, my method really didn't stink at all. As you can see from the first pics, I had it good and clean before it ever went into the water.

danimal7802
January 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
good job on all euro mounts.:thumbs_up

Robin@AimLow
January 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I did the same with the hose for the brain (works well), but still did some picking in other areas of the skull to. Haven't tried cooking skin and all.... seems like it would stink a whole lot worse! Because actually, my method really didn't stink at all. As you can see from the first pics, I had it good and clean before it ever went into the water.

I do it outside, so the stink, or lack of, isn't an issue. I did a rotten road kill for someone...whew! That one stunk!

EASTON94
January 11th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Did ya'll see the skulls on that link I gave?? They do really cool metalizing, another cool option!! They also have alot of supplies to make it easier for the do-it-yourself projects....Easton94

www.skulltaxidermy.com

Skeptic
January 11th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Did ya'll see the skulls on that link I gave?? They do really cool metalizing, another cool option!! They also have alot of supplies to make it easier for the do-it-yourself projects....Easton94

www.skulltaxidermy.com

That is pretty neat but a bit pricey for my taste. Might be something to try on a rare one.

FallVitals
January 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I was boiling this doe skull from myfirst bow kill. I gave up for the day and left it outside by the garage. I wasnt worried about it being carried of by any thing cause I live inthe city.... and something friggin carried it off. LOL, so let that be a lesson. BUt those euro mounts look goooooood.

aj

EASTON94
January 11th, 2006, 09:07 PM
That is pretty neat but a bit pricey for my taste. Might be something to try on a rare one.

I agree on the pricey part...but i thought it was pretty dang cool, and still cheaper than most traditional mounts...Easton94

xtrembowhntr
January 11th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I was boiling this doe skull from myfirst bow kill. I gave up for the day and left it outside by the garage. I wasnt worried about it being carried of by any thing cause I live inthe city.... and something friggin carried it off. LOL, so let that be a lesson. BUt those euro mounts look goooooood.

aj

aww man that would SUCK.......but some of those city raccoons cam carry a large dog away......:eek:

CWarmouth
January 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Man that looks really great. The beatles sound cool but I'd like to do one myself too.

Always_peekin
January 12th, 2006, 12:23 AM
You might think I am nuts but Brown Shoe polish works awesome on the antlers if they get any of the bleaching or boiling residue. Take an old toothbrush and lightly dab it in the polish then fill in the spots. A boot brush will even it out and shine it like the rest of the natural rack. Works Great! Just tried it on an elk antler shed I have and it turned out great. Good luck. Nice mounts too.

Mikie Day
January 13th, 2006, 09:16 AM
i used some lite brown ol english furniture scratch cover up..worked awesome

Mikie

Buckgrunter
January 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Another vote for using beetles next time, I've done two deer and one bear skull. Its alot of work and from what I've seen the beetles do a much better job, the skull doesn't get boiled apart or yellowed from the fat.