PDA

View Full Version : WORST CROSSBOW you have seen or shot

Jim C
December 4th, 2005, 09:49 PM
1) A thing called a "JAYHAWK" I had as a 13 year old. 75 pound aluminum prod attacked to the plain wood stock with a bolt that screwed through the middle of the prod. wire cable string with a wire wrap serving. The catch had no sear-it was a one piece unit. a spring pushed the claw up, when you pulled the trigger, the claw went down releasing the string. when the spring weakened, the bow-which had no safety, would fire. NO safety-the only sight was a peep sight screwed into the rear

2) Whamo powermaster-the prods were shatter. the stirrups would come off. these things killed people.

3) a "san marino" looked like a barnett wildcat-had the same trigger mechanism of #1

Jim C
December 4th, 2005, 10:01 PM
That PSE FoxFire I owned was a club..

the vibration was terrible...accuracy was terrible...heavy..slow..sounde d like a shotgun going off....

Frankly, I am surprised PSE ever put it on the market.

the original PSE jumped crossbow speeds and power way up. IT was frightfully expensive when it came out -600 or so-it was the laminated wood stock job. I had the recurve version-it was well made but the balance sucked. The triggers were decent. The trackless bow is obsolete. they were safe though.

twogun
December 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
My first experience with a crossbow was the PSE Starfire, a Foxfire with the trigger and stock mounted forward. It was heavy, loud, and extremely cold to hold onto, but it shot pretty well. Two of my friends still own and hunt with one.

Jim C
December 4th, 2005, 10:18 PM
My first experience with a crossbow was the PSE Starfire, a Foxfire with the trigger and stock mounted forward. It was heavy, loud, and extremely cold to hold onto, but it shot pretty well. Two of my friends still own and hunt with one.

they were pretty well made but the ergonomics absolutely sucked

another one of my bows-a DACO Hornet-had safety like that on a colt 45-you had to keep squeezing it to shoot the bow. a crappy feature on an otherwise decent (by 1982 standards) bow. excalibur used daco limb blanks in their early days

Jim C
December 4th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Another xbow I don't care for..made now..

is the one's from Darton Archery..

Ever tried one?

I find them extremely awkward..and do not care for the star wars/assualt styling.

Great Lakes-they seemed OK to me-I have shot so many different xbows they didn't rate on the crappy scale.

Jim C
December 4th, 2005, 11:11 PM
anybody remember the made in SWAZILAND CRISSBOW crossbow.

shurite44
December 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM
This thread is cracking me up. :chortle: I am trying to remember the name of the crossbow my brother and I had when we were teenagers. I think it was the wamo, it was a clunky wood stock with shiny sprung steel limbs.

We could shoot it pretty good though, was fun. :)

doegirl
December 5th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Never shot one, but those Barnett Quads have to be THE ugliest hunks o' plastic ever to be called a crossbow. I did own a Barnett Wildcat and an RC-150. If I remember right the RC-150 had a two-staged trigger and adjustable buttplate. Slow as all get out, but it did group well.

digger
December 5th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I had a Whammo Powermaster that you couldn't put 2 shots within 6 inches of each other past 10 yds. I also had a Barnett Wildcat that didn't shoot to badly but I pulled the trigger one day and little screws fell fron the trigger and you couldn't cock the bow any more.:thumbs_do

Digger

Meat
December 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM
It's the Barnett Wildcat for me. I have shot versions from Barnett, Jennings, and Horton and the Wildcat holds the "worst" title hands down. Couldn't get mine to pattern.

Meat
Shoot by sight, walk by Faith

Jim C
December 5th, 2005, 02:21 PM
It's the Barnett Wildcat for me. I have shot versions from Barnett, Jennings, and Horton and the Wildcat holds the "worst" title hands down. Couldn't get mine to pattern.

Meat

ever see these movies

THE WILD GEESE (richard Burton, Richard Harris-mercs in Africa)
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (Roger Moore-007)

both of them featured Barnett Wildcats (FYEO had a barnett commando as well). Barnett paid some fair amount of $$$ to get in those two movies and it helped their sales-

xbowhunter17268
December 21st, 2005, 11:04 PM

Meat

i have to agree totally, i had a wildcat to that would not put 4 arrows at any given time in less then a 12" area.

could be hitting the bull on the first shot and the next 3 would be all over a 12" area, it never put them in any sort of group.

had an old wooden crossbow one time that had steel limbs that actually shot way better then the wildcat i had.

finally ended up giving it away because it was more then obvious it was a big waste of time, from that day forward i have had no good for barnett products.

i know a few different people that had the revolution models and had broken limb issues on every one, even after having them replaced.

IMHO...putting them in order from Best to Worst they go as follows...

#1 = HORTON

#2 = TITAN TENPOINT

#3 = EXCALIBER

#4 = ANY OTHER MODEL OTHER THEN BARNETT

#1,999 = BARNETT <----- ( worst )