PDA

View Full Version : who's heating with wood

bushbuck
December 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I have not burned wood for a few years but started again this year. This is great! I cant tell you how much I missed this warm great heat! There is also nothing better than the odor of a burning log.
We started the woodstove in October and we have not turned the furnace on for heat yet! Last year we went thru about 250 gallons of fuel oil about every ten days. This was the best thing we have gone back to in a while..
I have a section of the house closed off that I think I am going to put a pellet stove in. I would put a woodstove there also but I need a stove that will direct vent. Anyone else enjoying there woodstove this year?

reflxshtr
December 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM
i'm putting in a central boiler outdoor wood stove.they are on back order right now and should be in this week.

bushbuck
December 6th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I have heard some great things about them! I like the idea of being able to use my existing heating system and thermostats. I am thinking of looking into that for next year myself. What kind did you get? what do You figure will be the installed cost?

drahthaar
December 6th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I built a house in 2003 and did not put in a wood stove. I didn't want the mess and the hassle, but after two winters without one, I built a chase this summer and installed a stove in the basement, best thing I ever did. I have ten acres of firewood so that is easy too. Got to -2 last night and the house stayed right between 72 and 75. There just isn't anything like wood heat, it just feels so much warmer than propane or cadets. Plus our electric bill hasn't gone over 50 bucks yet either.

Northforker
December 6th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I have heated with wood for the last 7 years. I figure I save about $1800/year in propane. Minus the expense of cutting, splitting, and hauling the wood. It works out to about $8400 over 7 years. That's about 2 years worth of hunting expenses.:thumbs_up

Creekhawg
December 6th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I have a Kodiak Grizzly stove insert in my fireplace I've heated with for about 12 yrs. No more propane except for cooking and hot water:thumbs_up

Blake Miller
December 6th, 2005, 02:38 PM
My folks got a outdoor woodburning heater and love it. The brand is called HEATMORE- not sure about spelling. Dad did a lot of research and ended up getting the HEATMORE. PM me and I can get you some info.

imanut2
December 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Just got the stove going today...wife wanted it sooner but I wasn't wise enough to clean it, etc before it got cold :embara: After the past two days of highs in the mid-teens and lows in the single digits...I figured it was now or never...

..we have natural gas for upstairs and use the stove to heat downstairs...cut a vent into the floor above the stove to allow the heat to rise into the kitchen...

draw29
December 6th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I put a wood/coal hot water stove in my home in 1976.I have it ina cement room under my house. This is before the outdoor models came out. I 100% heat my home with this stove. It is in series with my gas boiler but only use gas when I go away for a couple days. This has saved me tons of money over the years. The firewood cutting is getting a little tuffer these days. I used to have 3 big sons to help me but they have grown up and departed. I just have to remember that I am 55 instead of 25 and do one load a day instead of 3 like I use to. My body really hurts if I do more than one. I get lots of exercise loading it,stacking it, splitting it and putting it in the shed. When I see my gas bill for $29 in February I tell myself it is worth it all. I am retired now and it is kind of fun for the wife and I to go back in the woods and get a load of wood.

Washi
December 6th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Yup wood heat is cheaper and even feels better. Sometimes I wonder if I smell like a smoked ham to other people though.:p

PA Dave
December 6th, 2005, 04:36 PM
If you have an outdoor wood furnace for primary or supplemental heat and you are applying for homeowners insurance, make sure that your insurance company knows it is an outdoor furnace and not an internal wood stove. With some companies, it makes a huge difference in your rates, and outdoors is better...farther from the house than closer, too.

Just an echo from my past.

Pizonarcher
December 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Last year I bought a used fireplace insert, or should I say stold it,$150.00.
It was around 10 yrs old & not used much (don't make them like this anymore). Took 3 people to lift it in. Its burning right now & being 16 degrees out, it sure feels good. If you turn the blowers on it will drive you out of the room. This is a good reason to tell my wife get naked :confused: ;)
Yes wood is good!!!! :thumbs_up

bushbuck
December 6th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I started kind of late this year getting wood. We went thru our property and cut up some dead wood that was standing or on the ground. I also hooked up with a local furniture factory and I get the scraps once a week. It is all hardwood, it burns pretty fast but it sure burns hot. Next year I will make sure I have plenty of seasoned wood before the season starts.
I am using a vermont castings resolute stove. It is working out great.
I also put this little fan on my stove this week. Its called an Ecofan. You sit it on top of the stove and the heat from the stove makes the fan turn. It works with no power. It moves 150 cfm just from the heat from the stove and it is silent.

SilentElk
December 6th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I wish I had a fireplace. Along most of the front range in colorado they have banned frieplaces in home built since the early 90's. Then again that leaves all the more wood to sell. I have been selling alot of wood lately although nearly out of the hardwoods, and hence to good money, but still have a dozen cords of lighter burning woods left. Should last me until christmas I think.

imanut2
December 6th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks about the Ecofan info...I've seen them advetised in catalogs but wasn't willing to buy it and take the chance that they didn't work...will have to look for them again...thanks...

...as for wood...have about four or five face cords split and stacked...most seasoned for two or more years...got about two face cords seasoning up in WI from some of the trees I cut down up there...

fredbear90
December 7th, 2005, 12:27 AM
ive got a wood stove in a little cabin I built out on my farm it only has one bedroom one bathroom and a kitchen though, and when you walk in from a cold day of hunting it feels so good.

Finn
December 7th, 2005, 06:13 AM
My Dad's a logger so we heated with wood when I was growing up and my folks still do.

They installed an outdoor furnace last year. That sure saves time splitting/handling wood and certainly provides plenty of heat. Great to not throw the wood downstairs, then pile it again down there. What's the old saying about firewood heating 4 or 5 times? :)

He built a 3 sided sheet metal shed around his furnace and I think he's got over $10 grand in the whole deal.

Couple negatives, it burns a lot of wood and sure smokes alot.

Pizonarcher
December 7th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Any one know a source to buy a Ecofan ? what price range are they?.
I'm going to run a search & see if I could find some, I wiil post if I find anything. :)

bushbuck
December 7th, 2005, 07:57 AM
the box I have that the Ecofan came in has a website listed as www.caframo.com I have not been to there site yet so I dont know if they sell them. I am going to go and check it out now. the one I have is a model 802.

Tautog Rich
December 7th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Got my first wood stove this year since moving to the "Nort' Country." LOVE it...got us a little teeny Jotul #602. Since our living area is small, it heats the living area beautifully. Our cellar seems to stay around 50 degrees, but I am getting a Kerosene unit in case things get bad this winter so the pipes don't freeze. I think an outfit called "Home and Hearth" sellsthe Ecofans, maybe do a search on the ol' internet engine....should pop right up. And yes, we're gettin' one o them too.:thumbs_up

Michigander
December 7th, 2005, 08:15 AM
We purchased this home about 17 years ago. In the first few months of heating I knew it was time to put in a wood furnace. Tore out the propane furnace a few years ago as we havn't used it since.
When I pull into the drive it smells like home.
I can't even begin to count how much money we've saved, but better yet......we have been nice and cozy in our Michigan winters. Even if I had to buy my wood, the savings would be great.
Jerry

Pizonarcher
December 7th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Found this on yahoo search: http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv1-&p=ecofan
Hope the link works !. :)

GWN_Nuge
December 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I heat primarily with wood in an airtight with an oil furnace backup. I have a wood lot at home so the grand total is about three hundred bucks to heat for the year. This includes a new chain for the saw, fuel for the atv and saw, splitter rental and what little oil I go through when not home. I usually cut around 5-6 bush cord a year which will keep me in wood from October to April every year. I figure it saves me around $1800 per year over heating only with oil. Man I just can't picture having to dole out that kind of case every winter if I don't have to :D

Cheers,

spoco57
December 7th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Primary heat is a fireplace insert stove. 10-12 facecords per year and we're good to go! (Runs me about $600 split and delivered) Keep the house between 70-75 all winter. Temps get below -10 and I turn on the electric baseboards in the house extremities. I love it, especially this year.

c'dn-eh?
December 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM
When we built our house 20 years ago, it was designed as open concept for wood heat. We have a Vermount castings in livingroom and an old Findlay cookstove wth oven in kitchen. House is airtight and 3000 sq. ft.. We burn approximately 12 face cord( 4 bush cords) a year. I am able to cut wood every year and sometimes buy a load from local logger. It's costs us on average about $250/yr. over the last 20 years to heat. I couldn't think of being without wood heat ever.Our backup heat is electric baseboard's set at 60 deg. with half of them shut off.
Besides they say wood gives off heat 3 times. Once when you cut it, once when you pile it, and the last when you burn it.
I've always found when cutting and splitting, all your worries disappear!

Lots of people are starting to go back to wood and outside furnaces are real big but some of our local municipalities are starting to ban them. Seems like some people think they are a garbage incinerator and the fumes they release are becoming a big concern. I'll stick with wood stoves.:thumbs_up

twogun
December 7th, 2005, 01:15 PM
We've heated solely with wood for 12 years. Sometimes I get sick of all the hassle, but I'm sure one year of paying for gas would cure that sickness.

We have a centrally located freestanding iron stove that will heat the entire house in most of our winter weather. We probobly go through between eight and ten pickup loads (mostly oak, locust, and ash) in a season.

reflxshtr
December 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM
after alot of research over the last 2 years i have found the central boiler brand outdoor wood furnace to be the best bang for the buck in outdoor wood stoves. i was going to put in a indoor stove but after looking at my chimney and insurance rates and remembering putting out chimney fires when i was growing up made me lean towards the outdoor model. for warranty and durabillity i think the central boiler has them all beat,outdoor wise. no bringing in the wood,no smoke in the house,its going to be real nice. i'm going to have around $8000 in it initially but at $300 a month in gas it will pay for itself in no time. i think they are a great investment. a gas bill never goes away but in 5 years i will pay this off.

killer7
December 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I am also thinking about going with a central boiler. Can somebody tell me how much smoke they put off ( I will be using split seasoned wood) and how much wood should I expect to go through in a season? Thanks

akaSharkey
December 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I have a Buck stove insert. I quit using it a couple years ago due to my little ones. Thought they might get a burn. We started using it again this year. It used to run us out of the house.This year i put a 800 sq ft addition on the house and it works perfect now. Turn on the blower of the central heat to circulate heat through the house. Nothing better. Im getting ready to build my mom a house on my place next year when she retires. I was thinking about putting a outside unit in the middle of the houses and heating them both. Ill need a big one, but we can split the cost.

gmherps
December 7th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I use both electricity and a fireplace.

SilentElk
December 7th, 2005, 07:01 PM
After reading what you guys spend on heating your house I realize how good I must have it. In Oct, our electric,gas, trash and water bills totaled a measley $150.00 Although probably be closer to $175 for Nov and $220-$250 for Dec, I dont seem to have it to bad even if I cant put a wood stove in this place. Still, doesnt mean I wouldnt like to have the option.

cmherrmann
December 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I have not burned wood for a few years but started again this year. This is great! I cant tell you how much I missed this warm great heat! There is also nothing better than the odor of a burning log.
We started the woodstove in October and we have not turned the furnace on for heat yet! Last year we went thru about 250 gallons of fuel oil about every ten days. This was the best thing we have gone back to in a while..
I have a section of the house closed off that I think I am going to put a pellet stove in. I would put a woodstove there also but I need a stove that will direct vent. Anyone else enjoying there woodstove this year?

250 Gal. every 10 days, don't you close your windows?:teeth: That's a lot of fuel oil, my parents didn't burn that much in a month when it's -10. If I were you I would look into insulation and new windows.

My parent have now put in an outdoor wood furnace that heats water and that is piped under ground into the garage where dad setup an old car radiator with a fan behind it. The fan is connected to a thermostat and this heats his 24 X 36 garage. From there it's piped into his water heater so he heats all of his hot water. It then goes into his backup oil furnace where it goes into another radiator similiar to an air conditioning coil, a fan controlled by another thermostat in the house controls the fan that blows over it.

There are a few things to consider, for insurance purposes you need to have the furnace over 50 ft. from your house, dad has his in a 20 X 20 metal building and stores his wood in there with the furnace. Some towns have laws about how far they need to be from other structues, for an example where I live it has to be over 150 ft from any occupied structure, it cannot be in front of or on the side of your house, the stack must be 3 feet above any building within 50 ft. They made this law not to outlaw them but to make it impossible for anyone without a large lot to have one. They do smoke a lot especially when you first fill them up and if the weather is right the smoke can settle into low areas and tick off your neighbors.

My parents burn about 35 to 40 face cord of wood a year, this would be much less if he did not heat his garage to 60 degrees. This is in Northern Wisconsin where it has been below zero the last 5 nights and it's only the beginning of December.

I put a free standing pellet stove in my basement family room and love it, but those SOBs jacked the price of pellets up from $2.65 a bag to over $4.00 a bag in the last 2 months, good thing a bought a pallet of them.

1iarrowking
December 9th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I bought this house 11 years ago. It has base board electric heat. OUCH. 9 years ago I installed an Osburn 2400 fire place insert with a 6 inch insulated flu. My winter time electric bills are about 1/4 what they were before. I get all my wood off of my own property and I stay 3 years ahead. Wood seasoned that long sure gives you hot slow burns. I only need to load it about every 8 to 10 hours. In spring and autumn when I only want to burn at night, I usually only have to rake it and throw some small stuff on to get it going again.