PDA

View Full Version : Defying Terror to vote for Future... Iraq

bushbuck
December 14th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Here is more great info on the Iraq elections!

Wednesday, December 14, 2004
In Case You Missed It: Iraqi Elections

Defying Terror To Vote For Future
From The Boston Globe

By Jeff Jacoby
Op-Ed
December 14, 2005
''One anecdote from Mosul," said General Peter Pace, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, at the National Defense University earlier this month. ''There was a police recruiting station. Forty young men lined up to sign up to become Iraqi policemen. A vehicle-borne IED explodes -- kills or badly injures 12 of them. The next day, the 28 remaining return to the same spot to sign up to be policemen. ''And that kind of courage," the general told his audience, ''is being shown across Iraq by literally thousands and thousands of Iraqis who want to serve their country." ... Iraqis are not about to forget where they have been or to yield easily to those who would drag them back there. Threaten to kill them if they vote, and 8 million turn out on Election Day. Blow up a dozen men applying to join the police force, and the survivors are back in line the next morning. ...

Less than three years ago, Iraq was a place where dissent was crushed, freedom of speech unknown, and civil liberties nonexistent. Today it swirls and bubbles with democratic excitement. Thousands of Iraqis are running for office in this week's election. The sights and sounds of self-government -- political posters, passionate debate, radio and TV commentary, candidates pressing the flesh -- are everywhere. ...

For Entire Article Please Visit: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/12/14/defying_terror_to_vote_for_fut ure/

The Truth On The Ground
From The Washington Post

By Ben Connable
Op-Ed
December 14, 2005
When I told people that I was getting ready to head back to Iraq for my third tour, the usual response was a frown, a somber head shake and even the occasional "I'm sorry." When I told them that I was glad to be going back, the response was awkward disbelief, a fake smile and a change of subject. The common wisdom seems to be that Iraq is an unwinnable war and a quagmire and that the only thing left to decide is how quickly we withdraw. ... How is it, then, that 64 percent of U.S. military officers think we will succeed if we are allowed to continue our work? Why is there such a dramatic divergence between American public opinion and the upbeat assessment of the men and women doing the fighting? ...

We know the streets, the people and the insurgents far better than any armchair academic or talking head. As military professionals, we are trained to gauge the chances of success and failure, to calculate risk and reward. ... We also know that if we follow our current plan we can, over time, leave behind a stable and unified country that might help to anchor a better future for the Middle East. ... Although we hate leaving our families behind, many of us would rather go back to Iraq a hundred times than abandon the Iraqi people. ...

For Entire Article Please Visit: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/13/AR2005121301502.html

Chance To Vote Thrills Iraqis
Hundreds Flock To Polls In Dearborn, Farmington Hills
From The Detroit News
By Gregg Krupa
December 14, 2005

Tears formed in Shamil Hadi's reddening eyes Tuesday as he dropped his ballot into a box at a polling site for the election in Iraq. "I am 37 years old. This is the first time I'm voting," Hadi said. "Saddam was the worst guy, ever. I feel happy. This is my Christmas -- today. And I feel, right now, that I am human," said Hadi ... "For the first time, I am human. This is my right. This is my right!" ...

While many Americans increasingly question the course and worth of the war, the Iraqis of Metro Detroit, who bore the brunt of Saddam's terror, were glorying in a moment of salvation. They say they know that Iraq is a messy, long-suffering place and that the insurgency is likely to continue for some time. But like the day in April 2003, when U.S. troops helped pull down the statute of Saddam in Baghdad, they say voting for a new government of their choosing is a moment now permanently etched in time. ...

For Entire Article Please Visit: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051214/METRO/512140330/1003

Democrats Are Wrong About Iraq

From The [Fargo-Grand Forks] Forum
Editorial
December 14, 2005

Democrats calling for an immediate withdrawal of American troops from Iraq are dead wrong. Other Democrats who want the Bush administration to set a timetable for withdrawal are equally wrong. ... The American military is the only force that can effectively stamp out the terrorist insurgency. Only when the insurgency is eliminated, or at least minimized, can Iraq's civilian society begin the long and difficult process of rebuilding the country. Only when Iraqi security forces are sufficiently trained and equipped ... can the United States begin a modest and measured drawdown of troops. So, when Democratic leaders in Congress - led by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California and Rep. Jack Murtha of Pennsylvania - passionately call for withdrawal of American forces from Iraq, they are, in effect, calling for the United States to abandon the vast majority of Iraqis, who welcome U.S. help and understand their cou ntry would collapse into bloody chaos if American forces abruptly left. ...

For Entire Article Please Visit: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=111353žion=Opinio n

Kav
December 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM
less than 4 hrs and they go to the polls. Normally I would hit the bed early but hopefully they will have some live feeds on the news. I can't imagine what it must feel like to vote while people try to keep you from voting by blowing you up... and to think myself and others complained once having to stand in the drizzling rain.

bushbuck
December 14th, 2005, 11:10 PM
we get warm and comfortable and forget how well we really have it here in the U.S.
I wish them all well and hope for a safe day of voting for freedom..