PDA

View Full Version : Mechanicals vs Fixed blades

Lil Wag
December 20th, 2005, 10:13 AM
I just wanted to get everyones opinions. I personally only shoot mechanicals because I get great results from the mechanicals. My two favorites are the Rocket Hammerhead with the 2" cutting surface or the NAP Spitfire Pro series. My thoughts on this are that the thinner blades will bend and move around the large bones and continue to penetrate where a fixed blade will actually stick in the bone itself or try to cut through it. I have only had 1 mechanical that did not exit a deer and it was shot through the hindquarter and the arrow completely dissapeared into the animal. It stopped in the brisket. 5 steps and dead. Wasnt where I was aiming but as soon as I released he turned from quatrering to straight away. The hogs I shoot with these things dont make it 20-50 yards and the blood trails are increadible. Rifles dont leave this type of trail and holes the size of lemons all the way through. I always hear how much better the fixed blades penetrate but I think the mechanicals penetrate as well or better in some instances. What do yall think?

Roland
December 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
You might try a search. This topic has been beat to death by both sides of the fence.

newbiebowhunter
December 20th, 2005, 10:32 AM
:deadhorse

swoosh
December 20th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Go shoot a deer with fixed, then shoot one with Mechanical. Then pace it off and let us know which one went further.
My view is people shoot what they have confidence in, and that is what really matters(IMO):tongue:

Lil Wag
December 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Im not trying to start nothin, I just had a question. Maybe I didnt ask it just right. I was wanting to know if the mechanicals penetrate well is because of the blades being able to bend around the hard stuff instead of trying to go through it. I personally think that is true but I wanted to know from someone that knows from the design standpoint of the heads.
Oh and by the way the ones shot with the mechanicals were deader. Not always closer, but deader.

bucktrout
December 20th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I always hear how much better the fixed blades penetrate but I think the mechanicals penetrate as well or better in some instances. What do yall think?

Based on the physics, Fixed blades will almost always penetrate better. And from personal experience i'm sticking with fixed blades.

interesting article that's been posted a few times here.

http://www.datakey.com.au/steve1/Momentum.pdf

that said, in most cases mechanicals will work just fine.

swoosh
December 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Im not trying to start nothin, I just had a question. Maybe I didnt ask it just right. I was wanting to know if the mechanicals penetrate well is because of the blades being able to bend around the hard stuff instead of trying to go through it. I personally think that is true but I wanted to know from someone that knows from the design standpoint of the heads.
Oh and by the way the ones shot with the mechanicals were deader. Not always closer, but deader.

I like the last line, funny.

From a design standpoint this is all I know. Fixed Blade Broadheads do NEVER not open.
:confused:

DwayneR
December 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Fixed or mechanical... both Kill just as much as the other... I have had mechanical killed deer drop right under my stand. complete pass throughs.

The only thing you must remember, is it takes a few more pounds of energy to open the mechanicals... But most all compound bows that are 45 pound or more have more than enough energy to open such broadheads.

I would suggest picking the broadhead that fits you the best. I hunt with Carbon cx200's... I use 3 inch feathers. I also use mechanical broadheads. I am very successful. If I shoot at it, it is dead. I have also used fixed broadheads... If I shoot at it, it is dead. Personally, I like to use mechanicals, because I *know* it will fly exactly like a field point, and I do ont have to change my arrows out from my target arrows. I have no new variables when I hunt. My target/practice arrows are my hunting arrows.

Dwayne

HotShot88
December 20th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I dont think the issue at hand with the battle of mechanicals Vs. fixed blade is killing the animal. Any sharp broadhead, fixed or mechanical, placed in the right spot will do the job. I think the reason people go from fixed to mechanical is arrow flight, accuracy, in some cases wind has less of an affect on mechanicals, and mechanicals generally are easier to tune, because most will shoot the same as field field points, or they are supposed to. I dont think penetration and killing is is the issue, some broadheads do leave better blood trails then others, but if you place an arrow in the lungs or heart, and there isnt enough blood to follow the trail, then you probably didnt hit the deer in the lungs or the heart. I dont rifle hunt, i slug gun hunt, and generally a broadhead leaves a blood trail that is probably 10 times better then a bullet or slug does.

OLDHOOTOWL
December 20th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Don't know of any mech that "bends around the hard stuff" unless you are talking about what Crimson Talons advertises.

SoreLoser
December 20th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I'll solved this problem by switching to the Hypershocks. Less resistance on impact than both fixed and conventional mech's...

Lil Wag
December 20th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Bucktrout, Thanks. That was the kind of stuff I was lookin for. Do you know who this guy is? What his background is? The reason I was questioning about the blades bending around large bones was that I have never had a mechanical stop when it went by a large bone. I have had the blades come out looking like pretzels and sometimes broken off when they hit bone, but the arrow continued on. I have had a couple fixed blades where the blades actually hit bone, imbeeded, and stopped the broadhead. I know if the ferrule hits directly into bone it will stop any broadhead if its big enough and a direct hit. I just wanted to know if this was actually true or just a figment of my imagination.

Bowtech Freak
December 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Most mech's do have flimmsier blades for that reason I have had a lot of experience with both mainly mechanicals and I have found more often than not the blades will bend to keep penetrating. I use Vortex now and love them but I have also used several rocket models, spitfire, and grim reaper.

XP35
December 20th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I've used Montecs for three seaons, and next Monday starts the late archery here. I love them. Never any penetration issues, nice blood trails and no problem to tune. If you know how to sharpen them they'll blast through an elephant! I had one smash (or should I say pulverize?) a large shoulder blade. I do realize a mechnical would work fine with the KE I have, but eliminating ANY chance for failure is what I try to accomplish when setting up my hunting bow. I can say after being impressed by G5's durability I am considering some Tekan II's. They look rugged and like they should penetrate and deploy under any conditions and at any angle. I'll probably try them.

Winzeler
December 20th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I shot Rocket Stricknine's earlier this year and switched to Wasp Jak-hammers. Both have similar three blade construction and a similar cutting diameter. However the Wasps have .035" thickness versus the Rocket's smaller .027". I wanted the thicker blades because I'm tired of throwing away the Rockets after one shot. The only deer I shot this year with the rocket was quartering away. The arrow went in behind the rib cage on the left side and exited barely behind the front shoulder (low) on the right side. Based on what the rib cage looked like, I would say that no sharp broadhead will ever flex around bone. They can't. If they're sharp, they will have imbedded in the bone before they're given the chance to go around it. They only thing a thinner blade could do to aid in penetration when it hits bone is to shear off. That, in my opinion, is not a solution.

The solutions are to try to keep your shots away from the worst bones (i.e. be careful with quartering to, and straight down shots), keep your total arrow weight up to increase your KE, and to keep your broadhead diameter within the capacities of your bow.

OLDHOOTOWL
December 20th, 2005, 05:53 PM
If you like to shear blades on mechs and want that on a fixed, get some Bear Razorheads, they are designed to shear the bleeders. Might want to be careful dressing out using blade shearing heads though.

Tax Lawyer
December 20th, 2005, 06:31 PM
The Rockets are made to bend so they can penetrate around bone. It doesn't bother me at all to toss a broadhead after one use. I shot the Minblaster 4 blade (with pathfinder tip) and Hammerhead 4 blade this year.

One word - awesome.

Lil Wag
December 20th, 2005, 11:38 PM
You do have a point with the shearing off point. I look at my broadhead everytime before I stick my hand in there. Never had any blade shear off in a deer but have had several in hogs. Thanks for the info guys. Right now I am sticking with the NAPs and Rockets. Had too good of luck with them. Next year I may play around with some of the Stingers and Steelforce and see how they work on big hogs. I kinda agree with Tax Layer on this one but that article from Bucktrout was pretty convincing. I have to admit my wifes Steelforce shoot like darts and would actually shave hair.

Winzeler
December 21st, 2005, 06:09 AM
The only way any blade sharp enough to be shot could bend around bone is backward. It seems to me it's much more likely that it will sheer than anything. Bone is not like rock. By the time a blade encounters enough resistance in bone it will have imbedded enough that it will not be able to bend around the bone without bending backward, and any steel (or any metal for that matter) blade that is hard enough (Rockwell hardness) to sharpen will not have that much flexibility. It will sheer or break instead.

I'm not bashing the Rockets or anything. In fact they worked great for me, but blades just cant flex like that without a high risk of breaking.

meanv2
December 21st, 2005, 06:43 AM
I speak from experience of taking over 100 Big Game animals with more than 15 different kind of broadheads including several different kinds of mechanicals. All I will say is use what you want but if you use mechanicals long enough you will be disappointed. For me it's Slick Tricks:thumbs_up

old Graybeard
December 21st, 2005, 07:12 AM
Age old debate: fixed blades can never fail just buy :thumbs_do the best you can afford:thumbs_up Mechanicals Just my 2cents

doubleclucker
December 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM
I just wanted to get everyones opinions. I personally only shoot mechanicals because I get great results from the mechanicals. My two favorites are the Rocket Hammerhead with the 2" cutting surface or the NAP Spitfire Pro series. My thoughts on this are that the thinner blades will bend and move around the large bones and continue to penetrate where a fixed blade will actually stick in the bone itself or try to cut through it. I have only had 1 mechanical that did not exit a deer and it was shot through the hindquarter and the arrow completely dissapeared into the animal. It stopped in the brisket. 5 steps and dead. Wasnt where I was aiming but as soon as I released he turned from quatrering to straight away. The hogs I shoot with these things dont make it 20-50 yards and the blood trails are increadible. Rifles dont leave this type of trail and holes the size of lemons all the way through. I always hear how much better the fixed blades penetrate but I think the mechanicals penetrate as well or better in some instances. What do yall think?

I agree with your choice on the Rocket Hammerheads, they are an awesome head for sure, talk about a short blood trail!! I have also tried the 100gr Steelheads by Rocket, but I don't like the fact that there isn't enough thread length to screw into the arrow??? Compared to the Hammerhead, the Steelhead is almost 1/8"+ shorter!!!
That being said, I'm going to try the SlickTrick heads next year just to see what all the rage is about on this head.