PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Next Hunting Purchase?

cbrenn71
January 26th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I still have quite a bit of money left on Cabelas gift certificates from Christmas left over that i have not used. I would like to pick something up for next year that i can get good use out of for archery.

My thoughts are narrowed down to three things, but i'm up for suggestions. I'm have about 200 in gift certificates, but definately dont mind spending more than that, even though it is at a chain store, and i know how those are frowed upon around here.

My three choices at this point would be either a climbing tree stand ( i know, i know - i need one desperately), a ground blind, or a standing 3-d deer target that i could set up and get some realistic target practice.

I'm sure i'll end up picking up something else later in the off season, but what do you feel is the most beneficial of the three items listed? Each has it's positives, but what would allow me to help myself the most?

Like i said, i'm up for other suggestions, so please feel free to make them. My bow is all set up, i'm good on clothing and whatnot, basically i'm just looking for equipment such as that mentioned above. sorry for the long post.

hoytfanatic
January 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM
personal preferance i suppose mate but i wouldn't mind a 3-d target:tongue:

buffalohunter
January 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Go with the climbing stand. It will do you the most good. I recommend a
Summit Viper. You will spend more than the $200 though. Something else you might get is a range finder if you don't already have one.

cbrenn71
January 26th, 2006, 11:24 PM
i considered a range finder, but i chose against it for three reasons. the first being that i do not feel like i can make a decent shot at more than 45 yards in the particualar area i hunt, just due to all the scrub brush and sappling trees. the second reason being that my bow is shooting fairly flat, i have one pin for 15, 20 and 25 yards. the next pin is from 30 to 35, and they are nearly in the same posistion. i feel that even if i misjudge pin placement on the first two pins, i still am likely to hit the deer in the vitals. therefore, i am confident in a 35 yard shot and feel that a rangefinder would kind of be a waste, and i wouldn't use it. the third reason is that my main hunting area is a small bottle neck. the majority of the deer i see come through are crusing, and usually dont make any stops unless i grunt or snort/wheeze.

thanks for the good suggestion, and yes, i have looked at the summit climbers.

slinger09
January 26th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I would go with the climber. When you find areas you can use them they are priceless. I can sit in my Summit from daylight to dark, very comfortable. Second would be a ground blind. I don't hunt out of mine alot, but under certain situations they can be real life savers.

cbrenn71
January 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM
i think a ground blind would be just as effective as a climber, but i am weary leaving it overnight (even in my own woods). none of the stands placed in our woods have ever been messed with (knock on wood), but you know how easy it is to pull up stakes on a ground blind, break them down, and walk away.

RightWing
January 27th, 2006, 12:21 AM
For years I struggled while bowhunting, occasionally killing a deer here and there. I always used ladder stands, wooden stands and loc-on stands (seldom moved these). When I took someone's advice to buy a quality climbing stand, I chose the Summit Viper, My hunting has forever changed. The year I bought the climbing stand, I would move every day to better, and better locations, and fresher sign. I found the best oak trees, soft mast, hidden food sources and such. My deer harvests went through the roof that first year with the Viper. I had, in a sense, handicapped myself for years by not being mobile enough. I have had an excellent season every since I wised up and laid down some cash for the most important piece of hunting equipment, other than my bow, that I own. I own a ground blind and use it for Turkeys and sometimes deer, it is a good resource to have at your disposal, but IMHO the climber will do you better for most "bread and butter" bowhunting (increased visability, mobility, etc.).:)

If I were you, I would look into some local ranges for my 3-D needs. The added pressure of having people around while shooting is valuable for mental preparation as well as target practice, both of wich are benifical for hunting. A local club or range may have used 3-D targets for sale at the end of the year as well. These can often be purchased for cents on the dollar compared to buying new targets.:beer:

Hope this helps a little....... Keep'em Sharp......

DuckTech14
January 27th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I too vote for a quality climbing tree stand. If you buy a quality one, it will make you much more willing to sit those hours of the mid-day when those big boys are likely to be cruising. I would say go with something like a Summit which is an incredible stand. Hope this helps.

cbrenn71
January 27th, 2006, 12:28 AM
yeah, i think a climber is going to be most valuble, there were times this year i knew deer were always at a location about 150 yards down my bottleneck a ways, but never wanted to move my stand for fear of disrupting the area. i think a climber would definately allow me to get into more prime locations

as for the 3-d target, i was refering to something like the "del mar" 3-d buck target with replaceable block insert ,not just one you would find at a shooting range.

kudzu_blue
January 27th, 2006, 12:45 AM
summit viper,the measuring stick for all climbers!

Tim4Trout
January 27th, 2006, 01:00 AM
With the climber, you can practice shots from it B4 hunting, even if you are shooting at a non 3D target.

cbrenn71
January 27th, 2006, 01:24 AM
all valid points. thank you guys, i'm looking into the viper at cabelas, and that will probably be my next purchase. thanks.

any other suggestions?

LetThemGrow
January 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Summit!

ZA206
January 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Is to wait until Cabelas has some coupons in circulation and THEN get a climber. Normally, they'll have a $20 off purchases of $150 or more and sometimes $25 off $200 or more.... that's what you need. Alot of guys on here get these coupons in the mail (like me) and don't use them and can simply PM you the coupon codes and you can order them yourself over the phone at a good price.:beer:

As for what you should get.... I'd opt for a Summitt climber as others have said. Maybe wait and see what they come out with for the 2006 models and wait the the Cabelas coupon!

-ZA

Cthuntfish
January 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
got and used a $20 off of $100 coupon. They had and may still have the Underarmour Coldgear with ArmourBlock bottoms and tops for 30 bucks each.

The coupon came via email and it said you could only use it once. I can look it up and post the numbers here and people can see if it works for them as well.

WIbowhunter
January 29th, 2006, 04:15 PM
You can buy coupons for cabelas on ebay. You can get 20 bucks off a 100 dollar order. They only sell for 4 or 5 dollars.