PDA

View Full Version : Blazer problem

Hoyt Hunter
February 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I have a 05 hoyt ultra mag with a NAP quicktune 1000. I shoot supercarbons with wraps and blazers. I just go the NAP I switched from a WB. I shot it a few times this afternoon and one arrow fletches came off at the same time while the arrow was in the air and the nock came out. It ripped part of the wrap off with the wanes. I noticed a big jump in speed with the new NAP but I don't that is the problem. The local pro shop does all my work for me. Please help me

swtchback
February 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I am pondering going to the blazers myself and I shoot a biscuit. But if you do a search on here there is a post with alot of information about the blazers coming off. Some found ways to make them stay on and some are still searching. I think I am going to fletch up 3 arrows with blazers and 3 arrows with the short duravanes and conduct a little field experiment and see what works better.

DennyG
February 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM
If your nocks came out, your making some pretty serious contact. I would bring it back to the shop and check center shot, nock height and vane alignment.
Good luck, DennyG

silverback
February 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Make sure the prongs are high enough to clear the vanes.
When I shot blazers, it looke like I was getting clearance, but when I powder tested, I saw I was getting a lot of contact.

You really should try putting spray footpowder on the back of the arrow and see how much contact you are getting.

Blazers are not very forgiving. If you are getting any contact,they will show it.

Techy
February 28th, 2006, 10:55 AM
They won't come off with fastfletch or goattuff glue.

Hoyt Hunter
February 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I gess I should haven't said anything about the nock because that happen when the arrow hit a cement wall.

LetThemGrow
February 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
LOL...yeah, I guess that nock problem wasn't caused by Blazers. Did you chrono the difference...most people only notice a few fps, while you noticed a "big jump in speed"?

silverback...what makes the blazers less forgiving? Was thinking of trying some this year.

LetThemGrow
February 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
LOL...yeah, I guess that nock problem wasn't caused by Blazers. Did you chrono the difference...most people only notice a few fps, while you noticed a "big jump in speed"?

silverback...what makes the blazers less forgiving? Was thinking of trying some this year.

lkmn
March 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM
i started shooting the blazers right before hunting season last year, and love them. i have probably a doz or so with wraps and blazers and have never had a problem. getting ready to do 14 more. i would suggest using the platinum glue from bohning it works the best for fletches that i've found. i shoot lots of 3ds and hunt with the same arrows and the goat tuff and all tose fast drying glues always seem to crystalize cause they dry so fast.

i shoot my blazers through a whisker biscuit and don't have problems.

lkmn
McPherson Bishop
Whisker Biscuit
Spot Hogg Hogg-It
CX Edge
Thunder Head

GDP
March 1st, 2006, 07:16 PM
Blazers have been know to fall off at our shop. The problem is that bohning makes the part of the vane that you glue to the shaft flat instead of contouring the arrow shaft. I shot 3-D duravanes and dont have a problem with them.

HotShot88
March 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM
I use blazers with wraps and since I've been shooting the only one I had fall because of shooting was when I shaved it off with another arrow.

mikericci
March 1st, 2006, 08:21 PM
I've fletched up quite a few of them on carbon and aluminum shafts. Never had one even start to come loose, and I fletch them with a right helical. I have used wraps and not used them. I clean my shafts with denatured alcohol and my vane bases, even though they tell you not to. I use Bohning Platinum glue and put a drop at each end of the fletch. If the glue is over a year old I don't use it. I've heard great things about the Goat Tuff adhesive, but have never tried it. I'm never in a big hurry to make arrows and the Platinum works fine, and is easier to strip off later if I want to. I also shoot with my cock vane up instead of down with a drop away rest. The height differential in Blazers vs. Duravanes is only about .035" which is pretty small, but they are stiffer so if you do get contact I would think it would be more detrimental to your arrow flight.

quietbutdeadly
March 1st, 2006, 11:21 PM
The following is a dimension/weight comparison of the two vanes.

Duravane
Length = 4"
Height = .495"
Thickness = .0185 near the base, .0175 at the top
Weight = 8 grains

Blazers
Lenght 2"
Height = .550"
Thickness = .0295 near the base, .0275 at the top
Weight = 5 grains

The additional thickness of the Blazer makes it much stiffer than the Duravane. If you do have contact with the stiffer vanes, it makes sense to me that it would affect the arrow flight.

Hoyt Hunter
March 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
ttt

KAWABOY-ZX11
March 3rd, 2006, 07:42 PM
ive fletched quite a few dozen blazers and never had one come off. just clean the shaft well and use platinum glue. the vanes will rip before the glue gives. best vanes ever, in my oppinion. Dennis

Jerry/NJ
March 3rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
best vanes ever, in my oppinion. Dennis

I concur Kawa...

bowman69
March 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
I didn't notice if anyone thought about this or not but the vane and rest change seem to be at the same time. I would try putting a little powder on the rest to see if thats the problem before doing away with the blazers. After put them on (of course it's different from shooter to shooter) I increased by 12fps and my groups by oh say an inch at 60yds. If anyone was wondering they were about 4.5 inches before.

Mathews LD
March 3rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
I had a Issue with the blazer's first tried them I tuned the bow then shot the practice blades on my muzzy 100 gr they shot great.My brother then gave me some cutting blades that were dull.Tryed them and a whole different ball game:eek2: They did not fly the same with the cutting blades in !!
I had some 4 inch fletched and tried them and they shot the same with field points or with the cutting blades so I am going with the 4 inch!!I conographed
the bow with 2 inch blazers it was getting 266fps.Does anyone know the difference in speed that the 4 inch helical should be getting in speed?The blazer arrow weighed 425gr and the 4 inch duravane arrow weighs 435gr.
If that helps any!The only reason I have not whent back to shop and reconographed the bow the dealer charges me 2.50 to shoot a arrow thru It.And he is a good piece
away!!